PDA

View Full Version : Where's Earl Strickland?

dg-in-centralpa
05-17-2004, 05:38 PM
Anybody know why Earl isn't at the BCA Open? Or is it just for UPA members only?

DG - major upsets happening after the first round

cueball1950
05-17-2004, 06:57 PM
I may be wrong, But i think the BCA is UPA sanctioned, therefore Earl is not Allowed to play

9 Ball Girl
05-17-2004, 07:13 PM
Sounds like a bunch of poppycock if you ask me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Alfie
05-18-2004, 12:17 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> Sounds like a bunch of poppycock if you ask me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif <hr /></blockquote>yeah, he really should sign that paper /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BeanDiesel
05-18-2004, 12:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Alfie:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> Sounds like a bunch of poppycock if you ask me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif <hr /></blockquote>yeah, he really should sign that paper /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

i'm really lost. what paper??

Wally_in_Cincy
05-18-2004, 06:55 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Alfie:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> Sounds like a bunch of poppycock if you ask me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif <hr /></blockquote>yeah, he really should sign that paper /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Will they let him back in after Charlie "resigned" him?

Wally_in_Cincy
05-18-2004, 06:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BeanDiesel:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Alfie:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> Sounds like a bunch of poppycock if you ask me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif <hr /></blockquote>yeah, he really should sign that paper /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

i'm really lost. what paper?? <hr /></blockquote>

UPA membership contract

cueball1950
05-18-2004, 11:54 AM
There is no paper involved with the charlie/upa problem and earl. in short, earl played in charlies tournament at hampton va a couple of years ago. got knocked out early but still cashed. earl went to charlie and asked to get paid. charlie asked earl if he could wait a couple of hours. earl did. when he went back charlie told earl he would have to mail it to him. earl got upset, went outside, tore his upa patch off his shirt and threw it in the trash. someone saw this, told charlie, and charlie sent earl a letter accepting his resignation from the upa. which earl never did. they both hashed the whole thing out on here. it is just a sad situation. bottom line. Earl never resigned. Charlie resigned him out of the upa. and by the way. earls dues were up to date..............................mike

cueball1950
05-18-2004, 11:59 AM
the amount charlie owed earl was not a large amount. only $600 i believe. and i don't blame earl for getting pissed. he was asked to wait,did and then did not get paid as promised. ironic is it not................mike

cycopath
05-18-2004, 01:31 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dg-in-centralpa:</font><hr> Anybody know why Earl isn't at the BCA Open?<hr /></blockquote>

He's locked up in my basement. Everyday I force him to teach me shots and strategies. Another 6 months and I'll release him back to the public.

dg-in-centralpa
05-18-2004, 05:36 PM
When you let him out, send him my way.

DG - wouldn't mind having a few pointers from him

cueball1950
05-18-2004, 08:01 PM
we can all get lessons from earl... group rates at that...lol

Alfie
05-18-2004, 10:05 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote BeanDiesel:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Alfie:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> Sounds like a bunch of poppycock if you ask me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif <hr /></blockquote>yeah, he really should sign that paper /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

i'm really lost. what paper?? <hr /></blockquote>

UPA membership contract <hr /></blockquote>no, the paper that says he will behave himself

cueball1950
05-18-2004, 10:50 PM
no such paper exists to my knowledge. i have talked with earl frequently on this matter and the paper they want him to sign is an exclusive contract to play only upa events unless the upa gives waivers

Ken
05-19-2004, 06:16 AM
Mike, that contract was rewritten so that no waiver is required for any event that does not conflict with a UPA event. I could email you a copy if you're interested.
Ken in CT

poolplayer1988
05-19-2004, 04:01 PM
Ken,

Would you mind emailing me a copy of the paper? Thanks a bunch!

Doug

TRalph
05-19-2004, 04:30 PM
Check out the West Side Classic 9-Ball Tournament. He hasn't registered yet but there is a rumor that he is going to.

GeorgeV
05-25-2004, 05:38 PM
I think Strickland simply chose not to participate in the BCA 9-ball Championship tournament. I was at the tournament, and the TD, Steve Tipton, made an announcement (gave a little speech, actually) about supporting BCA and the companies that sponsor it, blah, blah, blah, and he mentioned that all the top players were invited to participate. He said, "If they aren't here; it's because they declined the invitation." I could only think that he was talking about Earl Strickland, since every other top player was there. But I don't know anything more.

RailbirdJAM
05-25-2004, 07:40 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote GeorgeV:</font><hr> I think Strickland simply chose not to participate in the BCA 9-ball Championship tournament. I was at the tournament, and the TD, Steve Tipton, made an announcement (gave a little speech, actually) about supporting BCA and the companies that sponsor it, blah, blah, blah, and he mentioned that all the top players were invited to participate. He said, "If they aren't here; it's because they declined the invitation." I could only think that he was talking about Earl Strickland, since every other top player was there. But I don't know anything more.<hr /></blockquote>

I would be interested in hearing more about what Steve Tipton had to say about the invitation process, George.

There is one UPA member who was ranked No. 26 at the beginning of the 2004 UPA Tour season who WAS NOT invited by the UPA or Steve Tipton, even though the top 32 UPA touring pros are supposed to be granted the opportunity to play in the BCA Open: UPA ranking points (http://www.upatour.org/rankings/calendar.htm)

The UPA Tour consists of five confirmed events now: 2004 UPA Tour (http://www.upatour.org/tour_schedule/sanction_schedule.htm). The invitation-only BCA Open provides the UPA members ranking points, 20 to 25 percent of the total UPA Tour. The 32 UPA members who did attend the BCA Open will receive points.

In the 64-player field, 32 slots are supposed to be afforded to UPA touring pros, and the rest are given to players from other countries and Hall of Famers who the BCA Hall of Fame Committee "voted" into their Hall of Fame.

Earl Strickland, not being a UPA member, most likely was not "invited." However, fortunate for Frankie Hernandez, who is not a UPA member, he was "invited" to attend the BCA Open because of a Hall of Famer not being able to make it.

With the BCA Open accounting for 20 to 25 percent of the UPA ranking points on the 2004 UPA Tour, depending upon two "contracts pending" on the UPA Tour, it is darn near impossible for UPA members who did not attend the BCA Open to qualify for events such as World Pool Championship or other tournaments which are utilizing the UPA rankings for their selection process.

RailbirdJAM

piglit
05-26-2004, 06:33 AM
Wave that flag/ tell it like it is, JAM!

-pigy

RedHell
05-26-2004, 07:30 AM
JAM,

Did KM play in the BCA ? I know you said he wasn't invited but was there any slots available for him to play in ?

If not, I don't see why should anyone pay the UPA if they don't respect their engagement !!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif

RailbirdJAM
05-27-2004, 03:03 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote RedHell:</font><hr> JAM, did KM play in the BCA? I know you said he wasn't invited, but was there any slots available for him to play in?

If not, I don't see why should anyone pay the UPA if they don't respect their engagement !!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif <hr /></blockquote>

I am new to the pool scene when it comes to pool politics, but when I called the BCA in Colorado to find out about the BCA Open, a BCA representative informed me that they do not handle any of the invitations. I was told to contact the subcontractor of the BCA who handles the invitation process for them, Steve Tipton of World Class Management.

Even though KM was ranked No. 26 at the beginning of the 2004 UPA Tour, the UPA administration, whoever that may be now, did not "invite" him to the BCA Open. Frankie Hernandez was on a BCA waiting list, something I did not know existed. 32 slots are given to the UPA out of the 64 available slots at the BCA Open. All BCA Hall of Famers are invited, and because Nick Varner, a BCA Hall of Famer, could not make it, Steve Tipton "invited" Frankie Hernandez, who is NOT A UPA MEMBER, to compete.

Any UPA member who did not participate in the invitation-only BCA Open is not afforded an opportunity to get those precious UPA ranking points, 20 to 25 percent of the whole UPA Tour, and will NEVER qualify for events such as the WPC.

UPA Tour:

Tour Stop No. 1-Super Billiards Expo in Valley Forge

Tour Stop No. 2-BCA Open (top 32 UPA-ranked members "invited")

Tour Stop No. 3-Big Apple at Master's Billiards Cafe
[CONTRACT PENDING]

Tour Stop No. 4-World Summit of Pool, promoted by UPA
[Amsterdam East closed, no new venue provided]

Tour Stop No. 5-Atlanta Open
[promoted by Dragon Productions]

Tour Stop No. 6-to be announced, but in Washington D.C.

UPA Tour Finale in California

RailbirdJAM

Wally_in_Cincy
05-27-2004, 07:28 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote RailbirdJAM:</font><hr>

.....Even though KM was ranked No. 26 at the beginning of the 2004 UPA Tour, the UPA administration, whoever that may be now, did not "invite" him to the BCA Open.......

....Tour Stop No. 2-BCA Open (top 32 UPA-ranked members "invited")....

<hr /></blockquote>

perhaps Mr. koreandragon will drop by our little group and explain this. I won't hold my breath.