PDA

View Full Version : custom cue makers ,what's it going to be

justbrake
05-17-2004, 08:05 PM
when a custom cue maker sets out to make a cue is he thinking he's going to make a hitting cue or a collectable cue(piece of art) or is it the determination at the end results,whats it feel like or what! and are they putting out to much art instead of real balanced and good hitting cue's today.

Cueless Joey
05-17-2004, 08:29 PM
I think all would claim they go for the hit.
While at the same time inlaying the cue with dozens , if not hundreds of inlays.
Really, there are very few cuemakers out there that can command say $700 for a no points or inlays cues b/c their cues are known to have a great hit.

Popcorn
05-17-2004, 08:33 PM
Why do you assume they can't or don't do both? The cue maker is going to use the same construction methods that are proven, regardless what the cue is to look like. It would be possible for a cue maker to make a cue with a 14k joint and a solid gold butt cap with no thought what it will weight or how it will play but that would be an extrema exception. If Motty does an inlayed cue with a bunch of scrimshaw it has no effect on how the cue will play just what it will cost. McDermott has built some wacky cues but it was never thought they were to be played with.

justbrake
05-17-2004, 08:47 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> Why do you assume they can't or don't do both? The cue maker is going to use the same construction methods that are proven, regardless what the cue is to look like. It would be possible for a cue maker to make a cue with a 14k joint and a solid gold butt cap with no thought what it will weight or how it will play but that would be an extrema exception. If Motty does an inlayed cue with a bunch of scrimshaw it has no effect on how the cue will play just what it will cost. McDermott has built some wacky cues but it was never thought they were to be played with. <hr /></blockquote>

why do i assume,its not me assumming it's a fact look at any site that sells used custom cues they tell you if it's a collectors cue or a hitting cue even on ebay they sometimes mention if it's one or the other, I believe most cue makers want to be artist instead of cue makers these cues they put out are for case inclosers and not ment to be played with and that's a fact.

Popcorn
05-18-2004, 12:27 AM
What are the sites advertising expensive bad playing cues?

justbrake
05-18-2004, 12:54 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> What are the sites advertising expensive bad playing cues? <hr /></blockquote>

where in my words that I said they were bad playing cue's I said they(cue site's)(ebay) advertise the cue is either a collectors or a playing cue for sale.

Popcorn
05-18-2004, 07:54 AM
I believe most cue makers want to be artist instead of cue makers these cues they put out are for case inclosers and not ment to be played with and that's a fact."

I asked why you assumed the cue maker could not make both. And you said it was not an assumption but a fact. So I guess I must assume that the cues called collectable play bad, since you don't seem to think the cue maker can make high end cue play good and look good at the same time. I would say one reason the seller of the cue may want to draw that distinction may be, it is sort of a disclaimer in case the buyer doesn't like the way the cue feels, or has buyers remorse after spending so much money on a cue he does not like. The seller then say, "Hay, that is a collectable cue, it is not suppose to feel good". The whole idea is silly. It is just as easy to build a high end cue as a low end cue. The cue maker does not go to another room where he keeps the machines for building the bad playing cues, the cues are all made the same. There can be a problem with some untested woods and the end result may be a cue that does not measure up to what the cue maker is use to in the way of feel, but that would be an exception. That is not to say the buyer would not like the feel of the cue, just it may be a little different. You know another thing is, when you buy a collectable cue, you are not buying it to play with so the dimensions of the cue don't matter. It could be a cue built for a guy that wanted a 17 ounce cue with a 14 mm tip. You will buy it anyway even though you would hate to play with the cue if you are a collector. That may also be behind the meaning.

tateuts
05-18-2004, 11:13 AM
The same kind of thing exists with guns. There are beautiful $25,000 guns which represent thousands of hours of stock work, metal work, and engraving. They shoot just fine, but what kind of person would take it into the wilderness?

My own opinion is that some cues are too fancy or delicate to be safely played with regularly without risking damage, although they play just fine. If someone is willing to risk damage to elegant scrimshaw work, or delicate inlays - it's up to them. It seems to me to be a little dumb to play with a super fancy, expensive, show cue. But the ones I've had have been completely playable.

Chris

CarterCues
05-18-2004, 11:56 AM
Myself as a custom cue maker; I am going to go to strive for playability. Once I believe I have my playability where I want it then I will go toward Collecting.

Wally_in_Cincy
05-18-2004, 11:59 AM
Have you ever seen Shawn Putnam's $25,000 (est. value) Josey? He plays with it all the time. Of course he did not pay for it.

Popcorn
05-18-2004, 12:12 PM
Danny D. had $4000. Ginacue with diamonds and gold in it. (1970's dollars) And he played with the cue every day. Wonder where that cue is now?

BLACKHEART
05-18-2004, 12:33 PM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gifMy method of construction is the same for a $250 plain jane Q or a $2000 loaded Q. Granted I may save the best shaft wood, for the more expensive Qs, but I try to make them all play the same. I play with an $1800 Q,. IT'S JUST A TOOL...JER

Barbara
05-18-2004, 12:47 PM
Wally,

About 7 years ago I went to a Monday night 9-ball tourny. Bewteen the 11 players that showed up there were 7 'Botis in the room, Gus', Barry's, 4-, and 8-pointers. I think the most loaded one was Long-Haried Frankie's cue which was an 8-pointer. He sold that a couple years later for $15,000. That cue turned me into an ebony and ivory fan. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Barbara

tateuts
05-18-2004, 12:52 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> Have you ever seen Shawn Putnam's $25,000 (est. value) Josey? He plays with it all the time. Of course he did not pay for it. <hr /></blockquote>

No, but I'll look for it.

I have one show type of cue left at home - not too expensive, like a $3,000 cue. I pulled it out one day. It had never been played. I just decided to hit a few balls with it. I chalked it up, made a few shots, and the tip went flying off across the table. I took that as an omen. I put it back in the case and there it sits today with no tip.

Chris

ceebee
05-18-2004, 01:44 PM
my Pool Cue making buddy makes all of his Cues to play with. Since the invention of chocolate &amp; vanilla, folks want different things. Things like weight, point of balance, joint materials, different kinds of shafts &amp; shaft construction, wraps, exotic woods, metals &amp; precious stones are all design criteria that might be used in a custom cue. When you purchase a $200-$900 Production Cue, it may look like the Cue in the catalog or it may vary slightly. The weight might be exactly what you ordered, but the balance point might be off by 2 or more inches. The Triangle tip might not be the MEDIUM you requested, the leather wrap might be too slick or lack the texture you saw in a book or saw on Johnny's cue. Buying a custom cue gets you customer service for your money.

It doesn't matter what your skill level is, many a Pool Player has equipment far above &amp; below their skill level. One of my locals is a real tuff &amp; he plays with what looks like a MAC with a picture of Pool Balls on it. It really has a Predator Shaft on it &amp; it's been customized to create a certain balance. On the other hand, I have some expensive equipment &amp; I'm just a 7 speed. He's a Hustler &amp; I'm having fun in the last years of my life.

John Parker makes great hittin' Cues &amp; some of them are works of art too. You can get a $200 special or a $3000 beauty at www.auerbachcustomcues.com (http://www.auerbachcustomcues.com)

Chris Cass
05-18-2004, 11:45 PM
Hey JER,

Can I borrow a tool? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C.

Fred Agnir
05-20-2004, 10:09 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote justbrake:</font><hr> when a custom cue maker sets out to make a cue is he thinking he's going to make a hitting cue or a collectable cue(piece of art) or is it the determination at the end results,whats it feel like or what! and are they putting out to much art instead of real balanced and good hitting cue's today. <hr /></blockquote>IMO, there aren't many high-end custom cuemakers that aren't making a good playing cue. Is there somebody specific you're thinking of?

Fred

justbrake
05-20-2004, 08:52 PM
Hi-Fred, maybe it's my ballance point on a cue or maybe I shoot better with an older cue,or maybe I didn't spend enough dough on a custom cue,but I really can't say, I just got back into pool about 9 months ago after a 30 yr. absent from the game but I do know a good hitting cue when playing with one,I have bought a few sticks since I started to play again and so far I have and old palmer that gives me more energy then (2) new sticks also recently bought,I'm still looking for another cue but it's kinda hard to pick one out, I'm not sure what I want to go with, I'd really like to try before I buy (Test shots)thats what I did with the palmer cue and I new it had energy, but I see all these cues out there and alot of them say they are collectors cue's and some say(hit's like a ton)so you really got to think with all these fancy cue's with the silver and stones are these really shooters cue's or works of art! (imo) I'll take an old cue that hits great then some work of art unless one of these cue's could prove different, I'd like to try a nice bill mcdaniel or southwest,tascarella,etc. and so on, but I would have a closet full of cue's and really can't afford this path.

PBat51
05-20-2004, 08:57 PM
hmmm I'll have to look into getting myself one of those $250 tools.

Sorry to say I still don't know how to use it and will probably loose a finger