PDA

View Full Version : Bad sign???

Fleece3
05-18-2004, 05:13 AM
Hello All,

I learned tonight that Amsterdam Billiards EAST is slated to close its doors, for good, at the end of the month. This is one of the PREMIUM billiards rooms in all the country!!! This can not be good for our sport. What the hell is going on???

cuechick
05-18-2004, 07:21 AM
That is sad to hear though not that surprising. I had heard they had been struggling for a while..it may have more to do with the high cost of doing buisness in NYC, esp in that area...
There overhead for that huge space must have been outrageous. wow, the westside is going to get very crowed...
A while ago, I had heard they had been planning to open a downtown branch, though with the recent Corner renovations, I am sure they won't.
Corner Billiards is a cash cow. Great location and the owners own the space, so no expensive rent to pay...
as far as a <i>Bad Sign</i> I am not so sure...I am sure the west side will keep going. I am surprised they not going to try and sell the ABCE? /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Popcorn
05-18-2004, 07:28 AM
A bad bottom line, lost lease, Bad partnership, could be a lot or reason that have nothing to do with the condition of pool. Pool rooms can be real overhead hogs. I saw popular nightclub close and this place was packed every night. One of the owners was a friend of mine and when I got a look at the books, I could not believe it. The mystery was not, why the were closing but, how did they manage to stay open so long.