PDA

View Full Version : Cue position after the break

Eric.
05-02-2002, 11:35 AM
When I break in 9 ball, I try to position the rock 4-5 inches off the side rail I'm breaking from, near the foot spot. A few people suggested that I don't park it in the center of the table due to the fact that if nothing is pocketed, you're making it easier for your opponent to run out. If the 2 ball is in the bottom half of the rack, break to leave the cueball below center table. If the 2 ball is in the top half of the rack, break to leave the cueball closer to the head string. All opinions are welcome, and thanks! I know you guys/girls always come through!

Eric >needs my head spun more

Doctor_D
05-02-2002, 11:42 AM
Good afternoon:

I also like to break from the side rail with the intention of trying to pocket the 1 Ball into the side pocket. When racking for my opponent, I always make certain that the 2 Ball is behind the wing ball which is opposite the side from which my opponent is breaking. If my opponent does not pocket the 1 Ball on the break, the 1 Ball and the 2 Ball are routinely at opposite ends of the table.

Dr. D.

05-02-2002, 11:50 AM
"A few people suggested that I don't park it in the center of the table due to the fact that if nothing is pocketed, you're making it easier for your opponent to run out."

I suggest that you ignore those people and never listen to them again. They are training you to "not lose", instead of training you to win. You should work on your break and your knowledge of the rack so that you are usually making a ball. Keeping the cueball in the center of the table gives you the staistically highest chance of having a decent shot. The people that talked to you even said so, although they might not realize it. They said that if nothing is pocketed, then you are making it easier for your opponent to run out. Well, if something IS pocketed, than you are making it easier for yourself to run out. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

05-02-2002, 12:56 PM
the question is "cue position after break" if your refering to the cue stick i prefer to have it still in my hands, i have been known to-----. when i break i put everything i've got into it. a strong break very important but one must be carefull and not commit 1 of the 2 worst fouls possible. thats breaking the rack and breaking wind at the same time. this will put a smile on everyones face in the bar and cause a nice rosy color on your cheeks. if you break and-------you guessed it ---everyone in 3 stated will knows.
if its cue ball position, then i like it to still be on the table lined up for the next shot with all the other ball spread nicely. i do not like to find it in a pocket, on the floor or in someones drink

05-02-2002, 01:01 PM
the question is "cue position after break" if your refering to the cue stick i prefer to have it still in my hands, i have been known to-----. when i break i put everything i've got into it. a strong break very important but one must be carefull and not commit 1 of the 2 worst fouls possible. thats breaking the rack and breaking wind at the same time. this will put a smile on everyones face in the bar and cause a nice rosy color on your cheeks. if you break and-------you guessed it ---everyone in 3 state will know.
if its cue ball position, then i like it to still be on the table lined up for the next shot with all the other ball spread nicely. i do not like to find it in a pocket, on the floor or in someones drink

rackmup
05-02-2002, 04:57 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>I always make certain that the 2 Ball is behind the wing ball which is opposite the side from which my opponent is breaking. If my opponent does not pocket the 1 Ball on the break, the 1 Ball and the 2 Ball are routinely at opposite ends of the table. <hr></blockquote>

I second this practice. My rack is as follows:

One ball
Five and Six ball
Three, Nine and Four ball
Two ball and Seven ball
Eight ball.

Give your opponent a chance to set the cue ball down in his breaking position and then you will know where to place the two. It works a great percentage of the time, unless you face a "soft breaker."

The only problem is, if it works as it is designed to AND your opponent doesn't pot a ball, now YOU have the 1 and 2 at opposite ends.

Regards,

Ken (prefers the 9 on the snap to eliminate any racking strategies)

Rod
05-02-2002, 06:14 PM
Eric, just where did they suggest you park the c/b? More or less there telling you to play a safety break. As Mike mentioned, what happens when a ball does go in. You'll push out or play another safety. Pool is about offense with safetys when need.

phil in sofla
05-02-2002, 07:08 PM
Eric:

You or whomever you're quoting is playing position on the 2, but what about position on the 1? (Sure, if you're making the one in the side all or most of the time, you are on the 2, but if not...).

As to not leaving the ball at center table if you're not making balls on the break, Don 'The Preacher' Feeney agrees with that theory, stating on one of his Kinnister tapes that, if that is the case, you'd be better off getting the cue ball to one of the short rail sides of the table.

A couple of years back, Kinnister mentioned that at the time, Johnny Archer was using low on the break, to bring the cue ball back up to the head rail side, where the 1 was also going, getting an excellent shot on the 1 time after time (this technique would only be good if you were making something other than the 1 on the break routinely, otherwise, you give your opponent the nice starting shape on the 1).

Watching a local pro/semi-pro event last year, I was surprised to find by far the vast majority of breakers NOT seeming to worry at all about keeping center table position for the cue ball. Some put it through the rack, but most drew it back toward the head rail.

Doctor_D
05-02-2002, 07:35 PM
Good evening:

Personally, I like the following racking sequence:

Dr. D.

CarolNYC
05-03-2002, 03:15 AM
Hi Eric,
I like to leave the cueball in center,after I make a ball /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif
Carol

MikeM
05-03-2002, 06:29 AM
Isn't the rack supposed to be random? ;&gt;)

Eric.
05-03-2002, 08:04 AM
Well Rod,

This all started when I complained about how I sometimes spread em out nice, don't make a ball, and the other guy runs a 2-3 pack on me. The idea behind leaving near the siderail is that you need to make the 1 on the break, giving po on the 2 or if the 1 doesn't drop but something else does, push out. This way if nothing drops, the other guy doesn't have much shape for the 1.

Eric &gt;Excedrin headache #1239

Eric.
05-03-2002, 08:18 AM
Phil,

Like I was saying to Rod, the idea was to pocket the 1 and have shape on the 2 or make nothing and leave little shape on the 1. Worse comes to worse, I can Push, if something else drops other than the 1. I'm still looking for ideas and definetly appreciate your thoughts.

Eric &gt;?

Eric.
05-03-2002, 08:19 AM
Thanks Carol!

Eric

Eric.
05-03-2002, 08:21 AM
Thanks Mike!

Eric

05-03-2002, 08:32 AM
I like to position them:
against an equal or better player, and

on a player that doesn't run out as well as I do.

05-03-2002, 12:05 PM
If racking for myself:

x9x
xx
x

If racking for my opponent:
x9x
x

05-03-2002, 12:12 PM
Scott , I agree with your sequence of racking, I've been banging these ball's for the money for 40 years and have been using that very set-up for the same reasons, For the cash you have to be a % player, that starts with the rack. Really starts with the " Match up " before the balls are racked. Hello to everyone, as a first time poster I have enjoyed reading the comments for about the last 3 weeks, just thought I'd join in.

cheesemouse
05-03-2002, 12:41 PM
Smooth Stroke,
I just got blown off the golf course, winds gusting to 40mph, Tiger couldn't break 80 here today, so I thought I'd come home and knock'm around on my pool table. Welcome aboard the board. We love the new blood. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

05-03-2002, 12:51 PM
Eric, I think the question you need to ask yourself is which ball do you make most frequently on the break, the one in the side or a wing ball? A big factor is how the table is breaking for you. On any given table you could be making either one more frequently. If you see you're making the one in the side more frequently then play position for the two ball. If you're making a wing ball, then bring the cue ball back to the head string for position on the one. You have to be both observant and flexible. Watch how the balls are breaking for you. If the one keeps going to the middle of the top rail, then it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to keep stopping the cue ball in the center of the table.

Fran

Eric.
05-03-2002, 01:28 PM
Well Fran,
My biggest problem is exactly that. Sometimes I make the wing, sometimes the 1, sometimes both. If I had to say which happens more, I'd probably go with the wing(on an honest rack), so what you said does make sense. I'm thinking that maybe I should get an evaluation as to what needs help(Fran?) rather than have the peanut gallery give tips. Don't get me wrong, there are a few World Class players near me, but I don't feel they know how to teach.
Either way, Thanks!

Eric

Chris Cass
05-03-2002, 08:40 PM
Hi Eric,

Not to throw you off but making the one ball of the snap is easy with a cut break. That's usually from the side rail out about 4 inches. To make the wing ball your talking more center table maybe 3 inches past the first diamond on the headrail.

Please don't take anything negative. The only thing people are commenting on is what they've done or seen. It's certainly not personal. Matter of fact, Dr. D. is very right about the 2 balls position. The cut break, trying to make the one in the side is mainly to keep the cb from scratching. Especially if you power break and the balls fly into the cb and force a scratch.

Just trying to help,

C.C.