PDA

View Full Version : straight pool safety question

dmgwalsh
05-18-2004, 11:50 AM
Anybody have any suggestions on things to do, or read or watch to improve my straight pool safety play? I just started in a straight pool league and it doesn't take the other player long to figure out this particular weakness of mine.

I've got the Capelle book and the Cranfield book and they show a few things. The Rempe and Sigel tapes on straight don't really deal with safeties much. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Scott Lee
05-18-2004, 12:09 PM
Dennis...Successful straight pool players learn the rack safeties first, as they are the dead nuts, when you can stick the CB on the rack, while sending a ball on the other side to the rail! Practice shooting straight at the straight pool rack (without the apex ball), and try to just barely hit one ball or the other slightly first, but mostly at the same time. The CB will stick in betwee the top two balls, and one of the back corner balls will roll over to the opposite rail, for a perfect safety! You can also play an easy safety, when the CB is close, off any side of the rack. Play a simple, soft stopshot, right square at one the balls on the side of the rack. Always remember, that DEAD PERFECT stopshot I taught you, is your friend! LOL You can also shoot the same type of stroke, rail first, and come into the back side of the rack, with the same kind of stopshot. That one requires reverse english, though! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Scott Lee

Wally_in_Cincy
05-18-2004, 12:19 PM
I got a lot of things from Cappelle's book. IIRC he has whole chapter on safeties. I still have not found a video with any safety instruction.

The most important thing for me is having the touch to graze the back of the rack and bring the CB back toward the foot rail. It's easy to hit it too hard or soft.

http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/pooltable2.html

START(
%AQ2M5%BN3Q7%CJ5O4%DM1M1%EM7P1%FK6P1%GK6N8%HM7N8%I L7O4%JK6M5
%KJ5P7%LJ5N2%ML4Q6%NJ5R0%OJ5M0%PG7M0%UI3O9%VG9M8%W H1Z2%XI2Q1
%[C9L6%\G1Z5
)END

This one fron Cranfield's book works really well. Actually maybe Steve Lipsky will drop by and explain to me the proper way to shoot out of it...

OB goes to the rail and CB sticks to the rack. You need to be fairly perpendicular to the rack. ...

START(
%AN7O5%BL7P8%CJ5O4%DL7N1%EM7P1%FK6P1%GK6N8%HM7N8%I L7O4%JK6M5
%KJ5P7%LJ5N2%MK6Q4%NJ5R0%OJ5M0%PO2U5%UD3P4%VI2P8%W L7S0%XN4T5
)END

I like this one. With the right speed you can have the CB sit on the spot. I nailed this one a few times against TomCincy /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

START(
%AE4K1%BL7P8%CJ5O4%DL7N1%EM7P1%FK6P1%GK6N8%HM7N8%I L7O4%JK6M5
%KJ5P7%LJ5N2%MK6Q4%NJ5R0%OJ5M0%Pf1M2%UQ2O6%Vd7M4%W D7U1%XI9R3
)END

dmgwalsh
05-18-2004, 12:21 PM
Thanks Scott. I've done that one at the apex of the 14 ball rack before, sometimes, for example barely hitting the right ball first with a little left English. The one to the back of the rack works ok also. I've done some into the side of the rack ok. I guess my problems develop as the safety battle continues. I'm behind the rack, several balls are out in the middle or downtable and I either have to hit the back end of the rack and stick or skim and come to rest on the back rail leaving him safe. It seems we go back and forth for awhile and then suddenly I can't see how I can leave a safe. I'm sure the safe I leave helps determine what type he can leave on me, but I can't seem to be able to think it all the way through, yet. Dennis

Wally_in_Cincy
05-18-2004, 12:30 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dmgwalsh:</font><hr> ....It seems we go back and forth for awhile and then suddenly I can't see how I can leave safe....<hr /></blockquote>

Sometimes you just can't. Somebody wins the battle eventually. Just like a guy on a run misses eventually. Sounds like you have a pretty good grasp of the concepts.

When I get to that point I try to stop and stick if I can.

START(
%AR0N5%BN4P8%CQ2D6%DV1L0%Eb3Y8%FL1Q1%GM5M8%Hb8D9%I M6O5%JN1L9
%KD3P3%LL5L2%MS2S0%NE3Q3%OO6Z2%PH7N7%UJ8P0%VH8N6%_]8Z4%`T6U7
%aL8Q7
)END

and stop the cue ball. If that option is gone you're screwed /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

dmgwalsh
05-18-2004, 01:17 PM
Thanks Wally- Guess I gotta just keep practicing my skims and sticks and watch and learn. dennis

Wally_in_Cincy
05-18-2004, 01:24 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dmgwalsh:</font><hr> Thanks Wally- Guess I gotta just keep practicing my skims and sticks and watch and learn. dennis <hr /></blockquote>

Watching better players is the best way but you still have to develop the touch. I am fortunate to have a few good straight pool players around here to learn from.

Wally~~trying to develop the touch.

Frank_Glenn
05-18-2004, 02:36 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dmgwalsh:</font><hr> Anybody have any suggestions on things to do, or read or watch to improve my straight pool safety play? I just started in a straight pool league and it doesn't take the other player long to figure out this particular weakness of mine.

I've got the Capelle book and the Cranfield book and they show a few things. The Rempe and Sigel tapes on straight don't really deal with safeties much. Any suggestions would be appreciated. <hr /></blockquote>

Some others gave you some good advice. What I would tell you is to practice these shots. Knowing you need to skim the rack and bring the white ball to the center of the short rail at the other end of the table is one thing, doing it is another. If you do not practice these type shots you will hit the rack too full or with too much or not enough speed. Set up the rack and practice a couple of safeties two or three times each every session. Then rerack and shoot your game or set up your other practice routine. It will pay off big time when you are under the gun.

dmgwalsh
05-18-2004, 02:51 PM
yeah, I was practicing them sunday behind the rack skims. One guy was good at skimming and barely disturbing the rack and leaving me uptable against the rail. I'd then have a table length safe which was pretty difficult

piglit
05-19-2004, 07:00 AM
Safety play with fewer balls on the table is lots different and not yet addressed here. You have to start thinking about the angle that you are giving the incoming player...try to make the shot you leave a bad place to start a run from.

Long, straight shots are good. Especially if the shoot&amp;stop won't yeild another ball.

YOu can always take a foul and roll the cb up to another ball.

-pigy

Frank_Glenn
05-19-2004, 07:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote piglit:</font><hr> Safety play with fewer balls on the table is lots different and not yet addressed here. You have to start thinking about the angle that you are giving the incoming player...try to make the shot you leave a bad place to start a run from.

Long, straight shots are good. Especially if the shoot&amp;stop won't yeild another ball.

YOu can always take a foul and roll the cb up to another ball.

-pigy <hr /></blockquote>

Yes, good point. There is no ball in hand like 9 ball. You can create a mess on purpose and just wait. You can also return the mess to the original player. My point was that you need to practice these finess nips of the rack (or a single ball for that matter) and return the rock to the other end of the table. It looks easy, but if you haven't been doing it, the end game is not the time to start trying to learn it.

Wally_in_Cincy
05-19-2004, 07:52 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote piglit:</font><hr> ....YOu can always take a foul and roll the cb up to another ball.

-pigy <hr /></blockquote>

I don't like that shot. If someone did that to me I would also take an intentional foul. My opponent is going to reach 3 before I do.

Wally_in_Cincy
05-19-2004, 07:56 AM
send cueball to A

START(
%AH4L2%BL7P8%CI9U7%DL7N1%EM7P1%FK6P1%GK6N8%HM7N8%I L7O4%JE6I8
%KJ5P7%LJ5O1%MK8Q7%NJ5R0%OF3M7%Pg9V9%QV8Z0%UD5S0%V H6T9%WH4Q1
%XD2Q9%[K7V1%\e9V9%_T8Z8%`C9X3%aI1V2
)END

http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/pooltable2.html

dmgwalsh
05-19-2004, 08:10 AM
You are right. I was trying them last night, just a little nip. Obviously if you hit too full this affects the speed and the angle of the cue ball and where it will land.

JClark
05-19-2004, 08:46 AM
So far the advice you have gotten from Scot Lee and the others is very good. I would just like to add my 2 cents worth. What is a saftey? It's a maneuver used to gain an advantage over their opponent. In my opinion to many players try to find a safe that will end the game instead of just gaining an advantage, the problems with this type of thinking are that the safties they are trying to play are much harder to execute properly. Plus they are trying to control two masters at one time cue ball-object ball
can't be done successfully. There are two things you can do to help your safe game. 1)LOOK for something easy to do it is usually there. 2) Consentrate on the cue ball or the ball you are hitting but not both, most pros controll the cue ball. One Pocket is a great game for learning safety play.

dmgwalsh
05-19-2004, 08:59 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JClark:</font><hr>LOOK for something easy to do it is usually there. 2) Consentrate on the cue ball or the ball you are hitting but not both, most pros controll the cue ball. One Pocket is a great game for learning safety play. <hr /></blockquote>

Sometimes I skim ok but then the ball i've skimmed pushes another ball out and I din't think the whole shot through.
This is all good advice by you guys. I was reading some Babe Cranfield on Safety Play on the train this morning and it's all starting to come together a little better in my mind. Now to get the balls to do what I want them to . D

I was thinking that One Pocket, which I've never played might help the safety aspect os straight.

Wally_in_Cincy
05-19-2004, 09:04 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dmgwalsh:</font><hr> ....I was thinking that One Pocket, which I've never played might help the safety aspect os straight. <hr /></blockquote>

I'm sure it might but they are 2 quite different games. I can say definitely that straight pool safety play has helped my 8-ball safety play a lot. Cluster busting and combos too.

Frank_Glenn
05-19-2004, 01:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Sometimes I skim ok but then the ball i've skimmed pushes another ball out and I din't think the whole shot through.

I was thinking that One Pocket, which I've never played might help the safety aspect os straight. <hr /></blockquote>

Yes one pocket will teach you to play safes. When skimming the rack, learn to put lots of english on the cueball and make it go long distances when it hits the rail, or make it come back into the rack. This is usually what I do, depending on how many balls are loose and where they are.