PDA

View Full Version : Rant from what I've observed this weekend.

Predator314
05-18-2004, 02:28 PM
<rant>

As I've mentioned in a couple posts earlier, I played in a team state tournament event this weekend. I'm sickened about all the people bitching about rules, playing conditions, etc, etc, etc.

First of all, the rules were clearly outlined months in advance for people to review. Secondly, everyone has to play by the same rules and they all have to play on the same tables. One big complaint I heard was about the tables. We played on Valley coin-op tables. Half of them had new Simonis 860, half had some older, slower cloth. Not the best conditions, but the tables all shot pretty good.

Another rant is these whiners trying to do anything in their power to win a game. In the Sunday team event, I'm playing my singles game against a known hot-headed opponent. I get the break. I run all my balls down to the last ball, but the 8 was tied up. I ended up playing a nice bank shot on my last ball and breaking the 8 out. However, I hooked myself with the cue ball. I didn't leave a makeable shot on the 8. Now we're playing with a patch to call the 8 ball. The patch was laying in the middle of the bottom rail, not near either pocket. I had no intentions of making the 8. I could play a little half masse shot (wrinkle shot) and clip the 8 and sew the guy up. I played the shot just like I planned locking him up behind the 8. The guy calls a foul on me because I didn't call a pocket with the patch. Now this guy was not new. I had played him before and he was very aware of the rules we were playing. He's a known hot-head and just an overall prick. I politely tell him it was not a foul. He had to stall the game to go get the tournament director and ask them. By this time, he's irrate and he gets pissed at me because I'm trying to keep from laughing while he has his little tantrum. Anyway, I won the game. We got to play him and his partner in a doubles game in the same match and my partner broke and ran out. They weren't happy campers. When we turned in the score sheet to the TDs, they were elated that we won. They said the team had been pulling that crap all weekend. She said during their last match, another guy on the team called foul when his opponent placed the patch at the side pocket and made the ball in that pocket. However, the patch was just barely up on the rubber/plastic trim around the edge of the pocket instead of sitting completely on the rail. It was not hanging over the pocket where it would touch a ball going in or anything like that.

Maybe it's just me, but I think the most embarrassing thing in the world would be for me to be considered a poor sportsman. These guys thrived off it. They would take a win any way they could get it. There were other displays of poor sportsmanship around the tournament the whole weekend, but these were some of the most blatant that I got to witness first hand.

I think pool is a game. These guys didn't shoot good enough to make it their job. Very few players can. So why play if you can't have fun playing?

</rant>

SPetty
05-18-2004, 03:09 PM
<consolation>
Sorry, man. That's just crappy. I, like you, would like to be known first and foremost as a "sportsman" rather than a "win at any cost".
</consolation>

Nightstalker
05-18-2004, 09:31 PM
I had a guy ask me after a shot if it was a good hit, I told him that yeah it was a good hit. He went ahead and picked the cue ball up after I turned around. When I looked back at him I thought, "WTF is he doing? I told him it was a good hit." I calmly walked to him and said, "Sir, I said it was a good hit." He handed me the cue ball and I finished the game off. I felt kind of bad that he did that and I won like that, but he asked me right to my face and I told him that I made a good hit! LOL, he must have had a brain fart or something. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Nightstalker
05-18-2004, 09:34 PM
I heard that some players were pulling that crap in a tournament I was in this past Saturday. It makes me shake my head at how some people behave. To me it is fun first, serious second. Unfortunately too many take it too seriously. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Chris Cass
05-18-2004, 10:16 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Nightstalker:</font><hr> I heard that some players were pulling that crap in a tournament I was in this past Saturday. It makes me shake my head at how some people behave. To me it is fun first, serious second. Unfortunately too many take it too seriously. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif
<hr /></blockquote>

Hi Nightstalker,

I know exactly what your talking about but I would like to disagree on one point. Rather, not disagree but add something to it.

There's nothing wrong with taking the game serious. It's when someone doesn't do it with class. There's a famous saying we have here and live by on the ccb, "Pool doesn't build character, it shows it."

Which brings me to the altimate first rule of any sport and especially ours, "Gentlemans Call." No honest, self respecting pool player can denie when a shot is played in the right pocket, when it's blatent. Screw any rule when it comes to lowering oneselves character and integrity. It's not the way this game is mean't to be played and I will never become a part of any lower life form as I've heard and seen before.

Regards,

C.C.~~thinks league and tournament play rules are there for a reason but some players show their weaknesses by doing anything it takes to win. For that, only cheapens any win. IMHO Sad part, it's been going on since before the first rule was in effect.

Nightstalker
05-18-2004, 10:29 PM
That is very true, Chris. I was more talking about when the seriousness becomes rude and ugly. I am sure you know what I am talking about when I say that. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I do care whether I win or lose, I just don't lose my head when things go unaccording to my plans. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

stickman
05-18-2004, 10:42 PM
I played in a scotch-doubles 9ball tournament. The rules clearly stated that the teams were responsible to mark their own wins. The team I played forgot to mark one of their wins and my partner wanted to contest the win. He jumped to the rules. He was mad because I told him I don't play that way. I didn't want a win because my opponent forgot to mark a game. Some folks will do anything for a win. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif This same guy will play some of the tournament matches on a time table. The money is paid on an honor system and the money is put in a cup. It comes out short when he plays. Some just don't have any honor.

Chris Cass
05-18-2004, 10:45 PM
I knew that Nightstalker,

It's called a true player. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C.~~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

RedHell
05-20-2004, 10:11 AM
As this is a rant thread, let's get it on....

What drives me nuts the most, is a player that calls a ref on a clear shots just to slow you down. In tournement play getting the ref can take up to 5 minutes. You got to hate those idiots that think they deserve a win because they sharked you out on the 8 ball.

The other one I hate are the interupting idiot who ask you what you're shooting on an obvious straight shot. When that happends I usually answer 5 rails in the pocket right in front of the ball !!!

SPetty
05-20-2004, 12:33 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote RedHell:</font><hr> The other one I hate is the interrupting idiot who ask you what you're shooting on an obvious straight shot.<hr /></blockquote>Sorry. I'd like to apologize for that. It's much more difficult to tell what someone is shooting when you're sitting off on the sidelines. Sometimes, it looks like they're shooting something they're not even close to shooting. I'm supposed to know what you're shooting, and if I can't tell, and if it looks even close to being suspicious, and if you don't call it, I may have to interrupt you to ask. Sorry.

RedHell
05-20-2004, 03:04 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote RedHell:</font><hr> The other one I hate is the interrupting idiot who ask you what you're shooting on an obvious straight shot.<hr /></blockquote>Sorry. I'd like to apologize for that. It's much more difficult to tell what someone is shooting when you're sitting off on the sidelines. Sometimes, it looks like they're shooting something they're not even close to shooting. I'm supposed to know what you're shooting, and if I can't tell, and if it looks even close to being suspicious, and if you don't call it, I may have to interrupt you to ask. Sorry. <hr /></blockquote>

I feel this is a stale bate again but in any case /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

If all you mention is thru then it's very unlikely that I'm shooting a straight shot in the corner. Which is the one I complained about. Of course there are shots that aren't that obvious. Even those you won't need to ask either, because I'll have clearly call them and even waited for an acknowledgement on you part !

ElephantPoker
05-20-2004, 05:21 PM
Those kind of players are everywhere. I get into a complete zone when I play a jerk/whiner. Putting them out of their misery is very satisfying for some reason. Killer instinct?