PDA

View Full Version : skill level of our members

ceebee
05-18-2004, 02:32 PM
I'm a skill level 7 at my local Pool Room. That skill level is maintained on a 9 foot Gold Crown. I only play on a Bar Box in League Play & little Tournaments. I prefer the 9 foot Pool Table for matching up. I'm a SL7 in APA & who knows in BCA. I've played Pool a long time, but my level of play has settled to that level. Wearing glasses makes it difficult to play much better. At 62, I'm glad I can still enjoying running a rack every 10 or 15 trips to the headstring. At one time I was a very good player, but I only played Snooker then. I'm still a threat at the Handicap tournaments.

My days at the Pool table are numbered, because my knees are gone. Somedays the pain causes me to play badly & that's no fun. Having to undergo two major surgeries, in order to walk isn't my idea of something to look forward to.

How good do you folks play?

cycopath
05-18-2004, 03:05 PM
I'm a SL5 in APA 8 ball.

I enter all the 'big' tournaments in my area, that I can. I look forward to the day I can hold my own and get in the money.

pooljunkie73
05-18-2004, 04:04 PM
I'm not sure about the APA, if i got the rankings figured out i would be a 7 (i think...lol). As for the BCA, i am a 9.

Kent Mc

Tom_In_Cincy
05-18-2004, 04:24 PM
The last time I played in an APA 8ball league (1995), I was a SL7. In a BCA 8ball league (2000) I was a 9.

I started playing in and helped run a 14.1 league in 1997 and also ran and played in a One Pocket league and 9ball Banks league.

I consider myself competitive with most players but I still have trouble with Chris Cass.. he spots me 11-6 in One Pocket and cleans my clock. Maybe this year Chris.. maybe..

I also run tournaments and referee. I take some pride in knowing the rules and being able to explain them as necessary. Texas Express and the World Pool Association rules are my rules of experience.

All the leagues (except the BCA, they follow the WPA rule set) have their own sets of rules and because of that, they lose credibility IMO.

nhp
05-18-2004, 04:41 PM
Can anyone explain to me how speed in the USPPA rating relates to the APA? I am usually between 70-80 speed.

UWPoolGod
05-18-2004, 05:01 PM
I have played two sessions of APA 8ball and have been a SL7 since my 3rd match after my 2nd ever match loss and have currently won 26 straight matches (gotta love playing 2's /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif). I have not played APA 9ball but would imagine that I would be a 8 or 9 especially on a barbox.

I was playing in the USPPA weekly tourneys in Seattle prior to moving to Vancouver, WA and was a 105 when I left.

I have yet to play BCA but will be getting on a team this June. I feel I am a decent player but still need to learn to bear down and make EVERY ball when the runouts are easy..not getting sloppy and dogging the 7 or so. My break definitely needs work along with the full-on concentration.

ashmouth
05-18-2004, 05:09 PM
It's been a while since I've played in a handicapped tournament but my last USPPA rating was around 75-80 speed. After laying off for a while, I'm playing more like a ten speed whose chain has fallen off....

UWPoolGod
You won the big tourney with Bryce Avila and others and your a 70-80 speed? Pretty damn good man. Since I have played both I would say that a 70-80 would be a APA 6 or 7 depending on your speed. Just like in APA there are varying levels of 6's/7's. I was originally a 70, and after a few tourneys was bumped to a 90, then after a few tourneys of beating the 110-TD 5-0 with him spotting me a game, he complained enough and had me raised up so he didn't have to spot me anymore...not that it mattered.

APA is a fun league with varying competition..mainly on the lower end. Better players tend to go with BCA or another because the talent is better and the teams can be stacked. But if you are winning big tourneys rated that low I think you should be raised up a little.

cycopath
Wow, 26 straight matches!

How often do you get a break and run?

I've only had two so far in 4 or 5 sessions.

UWPoolGod
05-18-2004, 05:19 PM
Wow, 26 straight matches!How often do you get a break and run? I've only had two so far in 4 or 5 sessions. <--cyco

Last session I led the league with 8 BNR and also had 7 Table Runs in the 70+games I played.

This session I have played two matches so far. Won 5-1 (loss knocking the 8 in as I banked a ball) against a SL4 with only 1 TR. And won 5-1 against a good SL7, broke and ran 2 games and had 2 table runs...should have been 3 TR but I dogged a ball in the 5th game that cost me the shutout too. So, so far two matches - 2BNR,3TR.

Troy
05-18-2004, 07:53 PM
I'd say you would be a 7 in the APA 9-Ball (8 being the highest I think). However, since the "scoring" is sooo different, it's really hard to say.

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nhp:</font><hr> Can anyone explain to me how speed in the USPPA rating relates to the APA? I am usually between 70-80 speed. <hr /></blockquote>

cueball1950
05-18-2004, 08:04 PM
never played apa or bca, but here, when i can play everyday and be in dead stroke i play about a strong b to b-....mike

Predator314
05-18-2004, 08:29 PM
We don't have leagues in my area. I haven't played in but a couple "handicapped tournaments". In the last one I played in I was a 7 compared to the average player in the tourney being a 4. You had to race to your handicap. I got 2nd in that tournament. Beat by a 4.

Another I played in I was a 5, with the highest being 6. I got 3rd in that tournament.

I've put a lot of work into my game lately and I expect to be in the money in most of the tournaments I shoot in. I'm definitely not the best around. But I can hang with most guys I shoot with. I play mostly nine ball. I've put together a couple 6 packs lately. I can do a 3 pack pretty frequently if my break is working.

This past Sunday, I could have beaten anyone in the room. I did beat everyone I played. It was a teams event though, so we got 4th.

Nightstalker
05-18-2004, 09:46 PM
I am a sl4 in APA 8 ball. I have only played half of this spring session and really look forward to playing the summer and future sessions/tournaments. Two years ago I started playing more regularly and have come a long way since then. I have run out in both 8 ball and 9 ball at local pool halls, I just need to gain more focus and consistency. I am a baby at 28 years old. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

stickman
05-18-2004, 10:05 PM
I play as a SL5 in APA 9ball. I was a strong 5 until I became very ill and was down for about 2 years. I dropped to a 3 and returned as a 4 for quite a while. I was making headway to returning back to my former level until I had a stroke. I've made it back since the stroke to a 5 again, but hope to continue improving. My financial situation prevents me from shooting as much as I'd like right now, but I'm resolved to get as good as I can be. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris Cass
05-18-2004, 10:25 PM
Tom,

I would like to say you are one of the most classy player I've ever had the pleasure of playing with. Thanks for getting me out of that room.

Regards,

C.C.~~I hope you do too. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Chris Cass
05-18-2004, 10:43 PM
Hi Charlie,

Let me say, you've been through a lot. To get up there and try is a feat in itself. Your a champion.

Now, I think the best player on this board would be #### Leonard, he's unfadable. Although he's had some set backs with his mechanics as of late. He shoots lights out.

Another is my tournament buddy, Steve Lipsky. He's as smooth as glass. Which brings me to yet another, David Sapolis. David is in a current battle in which I fought once.

Bottom line, these guys are true Champions that bring so much class to the game. IMHO, I think all of them would make fine choices for the HOF. Funny, when I say those words I think of Grady. Grady too is a champion. He just refuses to admit it for free.

There are many fine shooters here. I can tell by the knowledge they possess. Never seen Popcorn nor Frank but I can tell you, they can play.

The exciting ones are the women here. I'd stack many up to the pro women and are or should be soon pros. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C.

cueball1950
05-18-2004, 10:58 PM
Rumor has it that mr ####leonard, who by the way still owes me a picture, ran 100 balls the other day. not bad for a right handed player shooting left handed. So his secret is out.....How about the picture butch.............mike

Chris Cass
05-18-2004, 11:05 PM
Hi Mike,

I'll give you mine for 3 billiards on a race to 10. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C.~~just woofin, only played billiards once. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

sack316
05-18-2004, 11:57 PM
just bumped up to a SL7 in APA 9ball and a 6 in 8ball. Someone asked earlier I think about APA rankings, in 9 a 9rank is highest and in 8 a 7 is highest.
Struggling as a 7 so far, so here's to going back down (hopefully!)

Chris Cass
05-19-2004, 12:12 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote sack316:</font><hr>
Struggling as a 7 so far, so here's to going back down (hopefully!) <hr /></blockquote>

Hey, Hey, Hey, Sack. That'll be enough of that talk. You didn't make a 7 by pure luck. Just realize your a 7 and play like one. Do we have to change your name to sLack? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Regards,

C.C.

Rich R.
05-19-2004, 04:04 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cueball1950:</font><hr> How about the picture butch.............mike <hr /></blockquote>
Mike, in case you missed it, #### needs your address.
http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccb&amp;Number=137673&amp;Forum=Al l_Forums&amp;Words=%23%23%23%23%20leonard&amp;Match=Userna me&amp;Searchpage=0&amp;Limit=25&amp;Old=allposts&amp;Main=137019&amp; Search=true#Post137673

Rich R.
05-19-2004, 04:08 AM
I can't "run three friggin balls",

OK, so that was too easy, but somebody had to say it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Actually, I am currently an APA SL-6 in 8-ball. Recently, I have been stopping in at a weekly 9-ball tournament, near me, and out of 6 visits, I have finished in the money 3 times, but I have not won it yet. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

catscradle
05-19-2004, 04:39 AM
I'm an APA sl5 in 8-ball which I think is pretty accurate. I'm an APA sl4 in 9-ball which I think is probably low. All-in-all I'd consider myself a 'C'player although the meaning of 'C' seems to vary from room to room.

bluewolf
05-19-2004, 05:40 AM
Gosh, I guess until a person gets to be a solid B player, it does seem to be relative in different areas.We are moving in a week to a new county where the league is tougher. Their fours beat our fives, etc.

I think that as an sl3, my competition there will be much tougher than where I am or have been, which is always good.

Laura

pooltchr
05-19-2004, 06:20 AM
SL 7 in the APA and SL 9 in the BCA. The only issue here is that 7 is as high as you go in the APA, so someone could shoot at my level or way beyond my level, and we would both be rated the same.
The only real test in playing straight-up no handicap and see how you do. I am probably realistically a B player.
Steve

marek
05-19-2004, 06:31 AM
Hi!
I dont know how those skill level systems work. Can anyone explain those to me? I have strung 4 games in 8ball 5 times, 4 games in 9 ball twice and I have highest run of 122 in straight pool (with regular runs in 40-60 range). What SL equals to my game?
P.s.: I became proud owner of 314 shaft last week and I really really LIKE it so I expect those numbers to rise very quickly! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

eg8r
05-19-2004, 06:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
How good do you folks play? <hr /></blockquote> Not very good. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif I do get to play close to once or twice a month. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

eg8r &lt;~~~Misses the Saturday 1p games with OPC sprinkled with a little 9b against rackmup

Rich R.
05-19-2004, 07:41 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote marek:</font><hr> Hi!
I dont know how those skill level systems work. Can anyone explain those to me? I have strung 4 games in 8ball 5 times, 4 games in 9 ball twice and I have highest run of 122 in straight pool (with regular runs in 40-60 range). What SL equals to my game?
P.s.: I became proud owner of 314 shaft last week and I really really LIKE it so I expect those numbers to rise very quickly! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>
Marek, the SL's being discussed are based on play in organized leagues, here in the states.
From what you have told us, I believe you would be a top rated player in any of those leagues. You are most likely an A player. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
05-19-2004, 07:49 AM
Well since everyone else is being honest /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

APA 5 in 8-ball. Winning percentage about 55 to 60% I would guess.

Been playing 14.1 for 3 or 4 years. High runs 34 and 28.

My goal? To play 14.1 like Steve Lipsky /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wally~~played good Sunday...honest

Frank_Glenn
05-19-2004, 07:57 AM
I was a strong APA 6 (8 ball) when I quit league two years ago. I do not play much 9 ball. I do play 1 pocket, sometimes I get a spot, sometimes not. 14.1 is what I like, but I'm just learning. I have runs into the 30's. To really advance, I need to play better players. It's hard to find people here to play 14.1.

marek
05-19-2004, 08:29 AM
So the SLs are rather based on the results than on the performance itself arent they? So it seems to me there may be great differencies between locations...
P.s.: I think it will take some time before I would be able to say honestly "I am true A - player" - there are days when I play like one but there are days I rather suffer through my game. The good thing is that those good days gain majority over those bad days in the last few months... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
05-19-2004, 09:01 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote marek:</font><hr> So the SLs are rather based on the results than on the performance itself arent they? <hr /></blockquote>

I can only speak for the APA skill levels. They are based both on performance (number of innings per win) and results (overall won-loss record.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote marek:</font><hr> So it seems to me there may be great differencies between locations... <hr /></blockquote>

Yes. If a player plays in a region with many strong players his won-loss will be poorer, therefore his skill level lower.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote marek:</font><hr> ...I think it will take some time before I would be able to say honestly "I am true A - player"... <hr /></blockquote>

dude you are at least an A player /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote marek:</font><hr> ...The good thing is that those good days gain majority over those bad days in the last few months... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
<hr /></blockquote>

That's a good sign. Consistency is good /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Rich R.
05-19-2004, 09:26 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote marek:</font><hr> So the SLs are rather based on the results than on the performance itself arent they? So it seems to me there may be great differencies between locations...<hr /></blockquote>
Although there will be some difference, between locations, these are national leagues and the results from all over the country, at least in the APA, are fed into a main computer, and the SL's are determined. Theoretically, there should not be a great difference, based on location.
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote marek:</font><hr>P.s.: I think it will take some time before I would be able to say honestly "I am true A - player" - there are days when I play like one but there are days I rather suffer through my game. The good thing is that those good days gain majority over those bad days in the last few months... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>
You will have to trust me on this, Marek, based on your stories about your competitions, you are an A player.

If you want to see inconsistency, you'll have to come to the states and watch me play for a while. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

My game consists of moments of genius, followed by long periods of total incompetence. /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Pelican
05-19-2004, 09:33 AM
APA 8 ball SL4. Would most liked be considered a strong 4. Really don't want to go any higher. Might start messing with the 23 rule if one or two more players go up.

Hey Cee, me too on the playing pain but mine is lower back. Had one cutting. Don't really want another cause they have told me it would only last a year or so before the degeneration caught up again. Hey, we could form a wheel chair team. I ain't quittin' pool if I have to take the legs off the table and play layin' on the floor /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Later, Pel

Nightstalker
05-19-2004, 09:37 AM
That is part of the problem with APA 8 ball, the 23 rule and people not wanting to go higher and change teams. /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Pelican
05-19-2004, 09:56 AM
That's true nightstalker. I assume they do that so more teams will be formed causing the organization to grow. However it almost discourages a person from wanting to improve because you are penalized for improving as far as the effect it can have on your team. Five of our eight members are family so we certainly don't want to break up the team. APA should increase their total SL cut to 25 like TAP is. That would help some.

By the way, you have a nice site, Pel

Nightstalker
05-19-2004, 10:03 AM
I can understand that, with family members involved. I guess you just kind of have to work within the system in that case so you don't go over 23.

Thank you, I have put some time and effort into the site and appreciate your compliment. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

crawdaddio
05-19-2004, 11:27 AM
I was an APA sl5 when I quit last year due to being pissed about sandbaggers. I would say that I would be at least a 6 by now as I play AT LEAST 2 hours a day (usually more like 4 or 5), and I am improving. My biggest hill to climb in pool is getting better at pressure play, such as gambling or tournies. I match up pretty frequently with a friend who is far better than I. He has been giving me the wild 7 in nine ball, and recently I'll get up on him the first ten games or so and proceed to completely fall apart. Losing focus, missing easy shots, getting out of line, and so on. I'm pretty sure it's all about concentration and stamina and I'm working on it......and I don't think he's gonna give me the 7 anymore /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Nightstalker
05-19-2004, 12:03 PM
Yep, I have seen 4's and even 3's who could out-shoot a lot of 6's and some of the 7's. It is ridiculous really. One time I asked about a player who was practicing quite well, "What are they, a 6?" I was told that they were a 3. This guy was running balls like it was cool, but oh yeah, he was a 3! /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
05-19-2004, 12:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Nightstalker:</font><hr> Yep, I have seen 4's and even 3's who could out-shoot a lot of 6's and some of the 7's.

<font color="blue">Maybe on one particular night but not in the long run. </font color>

It is ridiculous really. One time I asked about a player who was practicing quite well, "What are they, a 6?" I was told that they were a 3. This guy was running balls like it was cool, but oh yeah, he was a 3! /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Looks can be deceiving. This person was probly just having a good night and getting some rolls. The key is can they do this consistently?

After I was in APA for a year or so I went thru a really bad losing spell and dropped to a 3. During the time I was a 3 there were nights I shot like a 6 and people got pissed off. There were also nights I played like a weak 3. There wasn't much I could do about it. I could have called the LO and tell him to move me back up but my captain would have kicked me off the team if he found out /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Nightstalker
05-19-2004, 12:47 PM
Yeah, this guy was a huge SB plain and simple. When I asked around a bit after their team put a whoopin on ours I was told that their whole team SB's like dogs in the dirt. /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif

RedHell
05-19-2004, 03:22 PM
Well I never played APA and only played VNEA.

In VNEA I'm a C, but everybody complains and say I should be at least a C+ or B.

As far as performance, I've run racks of 8-ball on a ratio of about 1 every 10 games, this considering that I only have the break 5 times out of 10.

I never really ran a 3 pack at 9-ball, because when I did it there was either a 9 on the snap or a low ball-9 combo.

I usually run at least a rack of 9 balls per race to 7.

I love to play one pocket but don't know if I play well, almost nobody here in Quebec knows this game.

BTW, I will be at the Open and would love to play one pocket with anyone from CCB. It would be a great learning experience for me !

Voodoo Daddy
05-19-2004, 06:08 PM
I have no level and not much skill. I played some decent pool at one time...ran 97 once, put some 3-4 packs together in 8/9-ball and I have made some nice 8-n-out's playing one pocket. Havent played in almost a year but I'll try some /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Voodoo~~~cant play a radio this year

KGeeED
05-19-2004, 06:14 PM
I am about a 1/2 level. Win some lose some.

Fred Agnir
05-20-2004, 10:20 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ceebee:</font><hr> look forward to.

How good do you folks play? <hr /></blockquote>I'm the worst player on the board. But, I often stay at the Holiday Inn Express.

Fred &lt;~~~ brain surgeon

P.S.

SL-7
SL-8
9+

PBat51
05-20-2004, 09:12 PM
I tend to agree....

cuechick
05-20-2004, 10:28 PM
I just went up to a 7 in APA 8ball!...I thought i might go back down, till I beat a 6, 5-0!
I am kind of excited, it was a goal of mine, but was not sure I could do it..not many female 7's out there=)!

Chris Cass
05-21-2004, 05:46 AM
Hey Cuechick,

Nice to see your name popping up again. There's many 7's out there. Just not in the APA. Great to see your reaching your goals. Now, you should make it your goal to be forced out of the APA for lack of a handicap #. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Regards,

C.C.~~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

dr_billiards
05-21-2004, 05:53 AM
I'm a def 2. I'll take the wild 7&amp;8 and 3 games on the wire going to 7 in 9 ball.Let me know if you guys want to set up an arrangement to play some cheap sets. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif I also have some property to sell in Florida..... hehehe

Wally_in_Cincy
05-21-2004, 06:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cuechick:</font><hr> I just went up to a 7 in APA 8ball!...I thought i might go back down, till I beat a 6, 5-0!
I am kind of excited, it was a goal of mine, but was not sure I could do it..not many female 7's out there=)!

<hr /></blockquote>

Good job. Sounds like you're hittin' 'em pretty good.

The highest ladies around here were two that were 6's at one point. But they both ended up going back down due to not playing much, with family and career obligations and things of that nature.

Nightstalker
05-21-2004, 08:11 AM
Congrats cuechick! Keep hittin em great! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Barbara
05-21-2004, 08:35 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cuechick:</font><hr> I just went up to a 7 in APA 8ball!...I thought i might go back down, till I beat a 6, 5-0!

<hr /></blockquote>

Way to go Lara!!

Hey! Have you hooked up with a Regional Tour down there yet?

Barbara

cuechick
05-21-2004, 09:14 AM
Yes, I am in my 2nd year on SEAL, but it is a little frustraing since they don't have Q'ers...they are great women but, overall, there is a lack of ambition down here. I drove to Memphis a week in ahalf go to play in a q'er for Peria, had a good chance but blew it the 2nd day...oh well.
I also have not been playing much, just league nights for now. I expect to play more, once I move into Atlanta in July...

pooltchr
05-21-2004, 11:10 AM
We have an amateur 9-ball tour running in Georgia you might find a bit challenging. Check my site for schedule, or pm me with any questions. Marcia has played on it once already, and I expect other SEAL players will probably start showing up down there as well when the word gets out.
Steve

Barbara
05-21-2004, 11:15 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cuechick:</font><hr> Yes, I am in my 2nd year on SEAL, but it is a little frustraing since they don't have Q'ers...<hr /></blockquote>

You're telling me that SEAL doesn't hold Qualifiers? Then what's the incentive to play? Do they know that the highest finishing semi-pro/amatuer player for the year gets invited to play in the next year's WPBA events? The invitee has to pay the entry fee, but they get invited, nonetheless.

Barbara

cuechick
05-21-2004, 11:47 AM
Yes, they know that, that is how Janet Atwell, and now Tracy Hurst have been getting spots. The incentive? The pay out deep (1/2 the field) and also do a cash payout at the end of the year depending on where you rank ( I fot over 200.00 last year)...they may make the last stop a Q'er but use a seperate pot for just those interested (GAD!!) I really don't get it myself.

Malice
05-21-2004, 10:52 PM
I was a 6 in APA 8-ball, and was close to moving to a 7. Had an accident; not sure if I can resume playing at that level yet.

Sid_Vicious
05-22-2004, 12:02 PM
Yesterday I was a true A for a few hours, tomorrow maybe be B if I'm lucky. Life's turmoils and the body getting older dictate most of my classification,,,the day job gets in the way far too much. I've also quit playing 'cept for my Sunday afternoon fun day, keeping the home table cluttered without concern, and I'm seeing much better things within my personal game. I contend that we can overdo this addiction and drive ourselves into frustration and depression. Taking it easy helps me...sid~~~happy to have those good days, yet today I have peace of mind even with the dismal days cuz I ain't working so hard, day after day, like I used to.

Wally_in_Cincy
05-22-2004, 12:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr>...keeping the home table cluttered without concern... <hr /></blockquote>

to quote Gomer Pyle "Shame, shame, shame" /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

13 months and counting and there has never been laundry on my pool table. Only 2 travel bags for 2 days, that's it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

mworkman
05-22-2004, 01:00 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr>...keeping the home table cluttered without concern... <hr /></blockquote>

to quote Gomer Pyle "Shame, shame, shame" /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

13 months and counting and there has never been laundry on my pool table. Only 2 travel bags for 2 days, that's it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>

This is a common source of conflict in my house. /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif And to top it off, she sets heavy stuff on the rails! /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif

To stay on topic, I'm very good in my own little world. Several league MVP's. But, when I get to the major tournaments, I seldom meet my expectations for myself. Where we play, each game counts 10 points for a win and 1 point for each ball you make on a loss (8-ball). I'm ussually around a 8.9 to 9.2 at the end of the year.

Sid_Vicious
05-22-2004, 04:48 PM
Mine first gets the junk mail but there's still hope at that point. Then a tip job comes along and my Willard on the bath towel(for catching the shavings, etc.) gets put onto it, and I usually find a lazy bone and leave it when done, tip shavings, magnifier hood and all. The rest I won't detail, just misc "Oh well, toss it there."

My female cube mate at work has a table at home, and even though her husband is just a banger with the kids, never plays even bar pool as I understand it, he still insists there is to be no laundry on it...sid~~~finds the table so well made for laundry, and really sees nothing really wrong with using it that way

nhp
05-22-2004, 08:26 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote UWPoolGod:</font><hr> You won the big tourney with Bryce Avila and others and your a 70-80 speed? Pretty damn good man. Since I have played both I would say that a 70-80 would be a APA 6 or 7 depending on your speed. Just like in APA there are varying levels of 6's/7's. I was originally a 70, and after a few tourneys was bumped to a 90, then after a few tourneys of beating the 110-TD 5-0 with him spotting me a game, he complained enough and had me raised up so he didn't have to spot me anymore...not that it mattered.

APA is a fun league with varying competition..mainly on the lower end. Better players tend to go with BCA or another because the talent is better and the teams can be stacked. But if you are winning big tourneys rated that low I think you should be raised up a little. <hr /></blockquote>

Throughout most of the tournament I was in dead stroke. I play a 70-80 speed on average, which is very capable of running a rack, but when I'm in dead stroke, I'm playing more like a 100 speed, which is running out alot more often than a 70-80. If I was in dead stroke every day, I would probably be over 100 speed, but I'm not.

ted harris
05-22-2004, 10:25 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ceebee:</font><hr> How good do you folks play?<hr /></blockquote>
When I was in the APA I played at level S7. I was already a real strong 7, and since I left my game has gotten much stronger. If I play in an 8-ball tournament around here that uses the APA handicap system, I play as an 8 (even though it does not exist) and still win the tourneys at times, or place high in the money. Don't really know what I would be rated in APA 9-ball, but it would for sure be higher than a 7. In Phoenix, I was rated a 10, and in the USPPA I was gambling with players that were rated around 130-150 and it was tough. Haven't really played that much in the last couple of years, been making cues and my vision is degrading, but with a little practice, who knows! But soon I'm gonna find out... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jay M
05-23-2004, 10:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
How good do you folks play?<hr /></blockquote>

I need the 8 and the break from everyone on this board /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

SL's in APA are hugely subjective in practicality. I've seen leagues that don't count safeties, leagues that count them. I've seen leagues where the operator automatically moves anyone that they know is SB, as well as anyone that has been shooting over their head, to the proper level.

I played league as a sub one season and never went back after all the crap I saw.

Jay M

ras314
05-23-2004, 10:32 AM
Don't see many Az ratings on the board. I am rated 8 and played a 10 a few times where he had to win 7 games to my 5. In other words, a race to 7 where he spotted me two games on the wire. Was no contest, how the heck can you beat a guy that keeps running racks.

Since have quit smoking so maybe I ought to give him another try? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

cuechick
05-23-2004, 10:51 AM
The APA system is based on honor, unfortantly pool is made up by many that are far less than honorable. I have seen terrible examples of sanbagging, including a certain touring pro...who just made it onto TV not too long ago, a few years ago(before she got her pro status),playing as a "3" on one team, till the league operator was alerted...
However, if you do use the system honestly, I think it is a fairly accurate level of a player's ability...as accurate as any system, can be...given all the variables.
I have no problem playing another player who is fairly rated, whatever their handicapp...
when it comes to 7's , that is just level with no ceiling...you can not put a cap on skill, and of course there are 7s that are really 10s or higher and 7s that are really very strong 6s...(such as myself ) /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Chris Cass
05-23-2004, 02:38 PM
Hi ras,

There's only one way to stop someone who's running racks on you.

1) change the game.
2) change the spot.
3) change the equipment.
4) change the bet.
5) change the rythm of play.
6) capitalize of every mistake.

Check every rack, even yours. Sometimes you can play perfect and still lose. Most of the time the runner isn't aware of how many racks they've ran. Telling them might help. That'll put them into the thinking mode and might change things.

Regards,

C.C.~~pick one..

ras314
05-23-2004, 02:52 PM
Hi Criss,
Did no. 6 once. Fellow fouled hitting a ball with the cue while shooting. Only game I won. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Best way to win a few would be change the rules to alternate breaks I think.

Courious how an Az 10 stacks up with the other rating systems. My impression is the 10 isn't much short of a pro.

JDB
05-23-2004, 04:15 PM
You would most definitely be a 9 in APA nine-ball. No doubt about it. I was an SL 8 and you would crush me in an even race. Oh...lol... you did crush me in an even race once...

JDB
05-23-2004, 04:22 PM
I think you are right... A 10 in the Arizona rating system is a step below pro level, although not much. I think Rod Elliott is rated a 10, who posts here as well as Jimmy M. (Mendoza? can't remember his last name for sure), but he used to post here too. I think Roger Griffis is rated in that system, as well, and he was a 10 or 11 if I remember correctly. AZbilliards used to have a list with all of the ratings, but I can't find it now.

ras314
05-23-2004, 07:41 PM
I see Rod Elliott listed as 9 (I thought he used to be rated 10?), Jim Mendoza 11, Roger Griffis as 12. wwww.pooltournamentsonline.com Check the rating sheet.

Sombody told me 10 was highest with 10-1 and 10-2 indicating they were handicapted an extra game or two. More semantics I guess. Going by what I've see a 10 do a 12 ought to be able to play anybody!

Chris Cass
05-23-2004, 10:43 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ras314:</font><hr> Hi Criss,
Did no. 6 once. Fellow fouled hitting a ball with the cue while shooting. Only game I won. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Best way to win a few would be change the rules to alternate breaks I think.

Courious how an Az 10 stacks up with the other rating systems. My impression is the 10 isn't much short of a pro. <hr /></blockquote>

Hi ras,

Well, I thought you were asking how you would stop an opponent, not a handicap sys. Odviously, swaping breaks will change that and makes it harder to keep control of the game and stops your opponent from putting racks togather. Once he scratched or fouled as you said. You had control. Then, it's all about making a ball on the snap followed by a good roll out or maybe a shot on the lowest ball. Easier said then done. Goes to show you how huge the break is.

Games on the wire don't mean much unless the one spotted gets out of the gate and applies some pressure. Even then, the race doesn't start for the shooting giving the game catches up to the spot.

Swapping breaks does bring it closer but spotting balls would be better for the lesser player. A 10 playing an 8 giving the race 7-5, like in your case. The shorter the race the advantage goes to the weaker player.(no offence) In your case I think it's to your advantage to get out of the gate quicker. You have to get the first two games first to intimidate your opponent or make him think about it.

I think the two games on the wire might be equivilant to the 8 wild. Maybe even the call 8? My suggestion would be for you to work about 5 hrs a week on just your breaks. I did this once and it hurt for about two days but that's great for timing. I had a friend and we would swap breaks and racking. I did ten and then racked ten for him. We kept score and added the amount of balls we made off each break. We'd do only ten each day. This I think would help you tremendously. You could do it yourself but with a partner racking it's more fun and easier.

Swapping breaks does have it's pressure too though. You have to win your serve. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Regards,

C.C.

SpiderMan
05-24-2004, 01:31 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ceebee:</font><hr> How good do you folks play? <hr /></blockquote>

There are just too many nonstandard "standards" to get a useful comparison. But, if anyone plays "Fargo" on a regular basis, I think I could estimate their skill based on average scores.

I can average about 135 on nine-foot tables, maybe 10 or 15 higher on eights. My personal bests for B&amp;R are 3 in 9-ball and 4 in BCA 8-ball.

I'd need serious weight from Rod Elliot.

SpiderMan

Rod
05-24-2004, 03:19 PM
Hi ras,

I was a 10 for years but asked to be lowered. They went along with it so I was lowered. I don't play all that much plus vision is a problem now but if I get to fast they will raise me. Years before the system existed I easily played at a 10-1 level. But I took many years away from the game and it all just never come back.

Remember all 8's 9's etc are not created equal. There are low, med and high for each number. If one is on the low side, like someone just raised from one number to the next higher. They will have a tough time competing at the new level. It is the same for all systems really.

Your rating may not be right either, who knows. You will have to get off to a fast start playing higher rated players to put pressure on them. Games on the wire mean little unless you turn up the heat.

As far as the numbers go a 10-1 gives up an automatic game. The -1 means that game. If you played a 10, 7 to 5 then you would play a 10-1, 7 to 4. A 10-2 is a pro.

Hope this helps a little.

Rod

Rod
05-24-2004, 03:27 PM
Ok, i'll spot you 20 balls. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif I'm not playing like I use to, nor have I played Fargo lately. I think it is a good test of ability. It is a good thinking game and knowing when to go to rotation.

Rod

SpiderMan
05-24-2004, 06:58 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> Ok, i'll spot you 20 balls. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Rod <hr /></blockquote>

I'm sure you mean 20 rotation balls. Hope to see you soon /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif SpiderMan