PDA

View Full Version : The Amazing Randy

Ross
05-18-2004, 09:15 PM
Let's hear for the old farts (that are still younger than me):

ATLANTA (AP) -- Arizona's Randy Johnson became the oldest pitcher in major league history to throw a perfect game, retiring all 27 hitters to lead the Diamondbacks over the Atlanta Braves 2-0 Tuesday night.

The 40-year-old left-hander struck out 13 and went to three balls on just one hitter -- Johnny Estrada in the second inning.

It was the 17th perfect game in major league history, the 15th since the modern era began in 1900 and the first since the New York Yankees' David Cone against Montreal on July 18, 1999.

"It didn't faze me," Johnson said. "The bottom line was we needed to win the game. Winning the game was the biggest, most important thing."

Cy Young, then 37, had been the oldest to throw a perfect game, doing it in 1904.

sack316
05-19-2004, 12:03 AM
Amazing was the right word to use. As a former ballplayer I have to say how rare what we got to see tonight actually is. I had one absolutely dominant year as a pitcher (before my elbow got messed up), but even that year the closest I came was a one hitter. Now, factor in that not only did he not give up a hit, but he also walked nobody and no errors were given up in the field... and at the major league level... absolutely mind boggling for any man. Especially one who has "passed his prime". Way to go Randy.

highsea
05-19-2004, 12:12 AM
The Big Unit still has his stuff. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Watched the game- another great game for RJ.

-CM~~~just wishes he was still a Mariner...G-D, we need some help.

Wally_in_Cincy
05-19-2004, 06:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote highsea:</font><hr> ...just wishes he was still a Mariner...G-D, we need some help.
<hr /></blockquote>

you can have junior back if you want him /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

UWPoolGod
05-19-2004, 09:47 AM
Hell..we'll take Junior..are you kidding me? Our team this year is garbage. I am predicting 70 wins Max. I heard they already have their "big offseason move" Aurilia on the trading block along with Meche and Olerud. Poor poor Mariners. Problem is...noone is going to want them.

Wally_in_Cincy
05-19-2004, 09:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote UWPoolGod:</font><hr> Hell..we'll take Junior... <hr /></blockquote>

look for him soon. he will arrive with his own mri scanner and a full medical staff.

I've never seen a player fall so far so fast. He's doing ok this year though. But it's just a matter of time before he pulls a hamstring swinging at a pitch or something.

dg-in-centralpa
05-19-2004, 02:40 PM
Glad to see Randy get this on his resume. This is the hardest feat as a pitcher. This should clinch his place in the HOF.

DG - go old farts! (I'm older than Randy) /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
05-20-2004, 06:35 AM
I like the commercial where he plays dodge-ball /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

highsea
05-20-2004, 11:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> I like the commercial where he plays dodge-ball /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif <hr /></blockquote>

How about the time he hit the bird that was flying between the mound and the plate? First there was a bird, then there was a cloud of feathers. /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

-CM

UWPoolGod
05-20-2004, 11:47 AM
Here a link to Randys Bird @$$ Whooping (http://www.ebaumsworld.com/birdball.html)