PDA

View Full Version : Gasoline boycott

bluewolf
05-19-2004, 05:21 AM
I got an email asking for everyone to boycott gasoline for one day, today. That, they said would hurt the oil companies. not sure if anyone else got that email, but thought it was worth mentioning.

Sorry if this is a repeat, but have not been online much, due to where I am staying and not having broadband.

laura

eg8r
05-19-2004, 06:14 AM
I am boycotting today because I filled up on Monday. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif I am good till next Monday.

eg8r

UWPoolGod
05-19-2004, 08:42 AM
Yeah all boycotting today will do is make for HUGE profits tomorrow or the next day due to everyone today having to fill up then. I think they have deep enough pockets to withstand one days boycott and they know eventually everyone will have to come back to them sometime. Maybe this will get rid of Sprawl and get more people living in the city. I should get stock in Schwin or Huffy bicycles.

Nightstalker
05-19-2004, 09:29 AM
No [censored], I am buying a bike. Screw OPEC! /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif

moblsv
05-19-2004, 09:31 AM
I don't see not filling doing any good. Everybody will still drive, and use just as much gas, over the course of the week. Not *driving* for a day could help but even if there was a huge marketing blitz to sell such an idea I would still be surprised to see a 1% change for the day.

moblsv
05-19-2004, 09:40 AM
My local bicycle shop had a poster I liked, it said something like

Scientist discover device which improves cardio and stamina, increases lifespan, reduces strain on the US Health Care System, reduces US dependence on foriegn oil, reduces monthly spending in the family budget, reduces taxes for road maintainence [ and so on, I don't remember the whole list, or the exact wording ] and at the bottom had a picture of a bicycle

Nightstalker
05-19-2004, 09:58 AM
That is one smart poster, all of those things are true. Automobiles cause a lot of problems, perhaps as many or more than they solve. /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

mred477
05-19-2004, 10:16 AM
The oil companies make more than gasoline, so you'd have to boycott more than just gas. This means no plastics, no lubricants, no gas grills, no natural gas electricity, etc...all of these things are derivatives of petroleum. If you want your gas cheaper, tell the government to stop taxing it. Personally, I like the higher gas prices in the long term. As people are saying, it will cause other alternatives, which is good for everyone. Not to mention, it will (hopefully, but not holding breath) eliminate government intervention and allow the market to make its own correction.

Will ~ Nuclear power could solve this problem, if everyone would get over their fears and read about it.

SPetty
05-19-2004, 10:22 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> I am boycotting today because I filled up on Monday. I am good till next Monday.<hr /></blockquote>I am boycotting today because I filled up yesterday. I am good until tomorrow. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

UWPoolGod
05-19-2004, 10:27 AM
What pisses me off is that the other managers in the office have company trucks with company credit/cards to get to work. So the owner is taking a huge hit on gas right now. I don't. I have a company credit card but need to have a job to bill to use it for gas (job walks etc). Guess I should make sure to schedule any site visits when I am at 1/4 tank. /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif Still I get 30 miles/gal and only work 15 miles from work so a tank can last all week+.

Nightstalker
05-19-2004, 10:34 AM
You should have a company vehicle then, that does not sound right to me.

Qtec
05-19-2004, 11:16 AM
This gave me a chuckle. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I guess you havn't read the "Chernobyl Bike " thread.

Q

UWPoolGod
05-19-2004, 11:37 AM
People are going to pay whatever they have to to get around..for work or play. Sucks for people who have motorhomes/water machines/dirtbikes who may have to limit their runs this year. I paid $2.29/gal for regular last night, guess I'll have to cut out one extra beer during bar tourneys to make up the difference.

eg8r
05-19-2004, 11:41 AM
Susan, I just don't know how you do it. That is a long drive everyday. I complain about my 30 minute drive and I don't even drive half as far as you do. I cannot imagine what your gas bill is every month. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

eg8r

moblsv
05-19-2004, 11:48 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote mred477:</font><hr>
Will ~ Nuclear power could solve this problem, if everyone would get over their fears and read about it. <hr /></blockquote>

Exactly - Bush (Cheney actually) putting nuclear power back on the political agenda was one thing I agree with. Good luck with the education though, there are a lot of misconceptions out there.

Nightstalker
05-19-2004, 11:58 AM
Yeah, one of which is "Ohhh it is so dangerous!" /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

mred477
05-19-2004, 02:40 PM
Yes, there are risks with nuclear power. However, there were major safety issues that were ignored at Chernobyl that would not be ignored in today's plant. The technology is there to make it as safe as any petroleum plant or coal plant, with less polution. I'm not saying that we need to rush into nuclear power, but I'm saying that not looking into it because politicians have no spine is not a way of conducting policy.

Will ~ wishes people would look at science instead of propaganda

Kato
05-19-2004, 04:52 PM
That e-mail has been out for years Laura and has little if any merit.

Kato