PDA

View Full Version : Raven jump/break tips

stickman
05-19-2004, 05:39 PM
I put on one of the white jump/break tips. This thing is GREAT. It hits like a brick. I used a sneaky pete with a fat taper. I replaced the cheap fiber ferrule with an Ivor-X capped ferrule and installed the white Raven jump/break tip. I left the sneaky butt alone and used a piece of 1 1/8" birch dowel turned down to make a jump handle. It's 11 1/2" long and stained walnut, then polyurethaned. I don't jump that well, but those that use one say it jumps as good or better than anything they use. With the sneaky handle, it blows the rack apart! I wonder if Sid_Vicious ever got his new tip put on. Sid, Let us know what you think.

Jim

Sid_Vicious
05-19-2004, 05:59 PM
Jim...I am dependent on Spiderman doing my install, and he's off to Vegas. I will be putting mine on the Stealth which now has the store-bought'n Lucasi tip, which Btw DID accelerate my belief system in Stealth JCs, just that the Stealth STILL runs only second to the Lucasi(imo.) This new Raven should produce easily dectected performance traits if it is truly the best between the two tips...sid

Chris Cass
05-19-2004, 11:18 PM
Hi Jim,

The first time I used one I jumped a full ball 1/4" apart. Two out of three times in a row. It was also the Stealth. Since then I've went back to the LaPro tip for draw and masse jumps. This tip is awesome though. I just need more from a jc. BTW, that tip was totally flat without any arch.

Regards,

C.C.~~I think I could have done it closer too. The ball jumped nearly 1 ft up and still can't believe it went forward. I had a crowd around me on the 3rd time. Alls you could hear was , Awwwwww. lol

stickman
05-20-2004, 09:24 AM
Awsome! The hall I play at has a requirement for jumping and masse shots. You have to earn a license. To get a license, you have to beat the owner 10 games of 8ball before he wins 5. I know it sounds stupid, but that's their rule. I never took the time to get it. It would have been easy when he first opened, but he has gotten much better. I guess I'll just have to step up to the plate, and hit a homerun. I haven't jumped for probably a year and a half. I'll have to learn all over again.

I read your post on the tip and decided to try one. Thanks for your help.

Sid_Vicious
05-20-2004, 10:43 AM
I gotta ask something Chris. What ergonomic position is your body in, i.e. JC elevation and the such, when you hit something that close? I can't imagine clearing at even an inch, much less 1/4". I guess I only thougt I was good, Man! that's close jumping! sid

UTAddb
05-20-2004, 01:53 PM
Sid- I used to be able to do the 1/4" jump shot somewhat consisently (maybe 1 in 5 attempts). Anyway I would hit it almost just like a full masse. However, like my masses I prefer to do this one with a dart motion, not overhand. Bascially my palm is facing down. I brace my bridge on my knee while my leg is bent up on the table. You have to hit it hard and right in the face of the CB. The stick is almost 90 degrees and you're hitting almost straight through the middle of the CB. If you miscue or something you're probably hitting too far on the edge of the CB. Anyway, if everything is done correctly the CB should pop up a foot or a foot and a half. I've got the same lucasi jump cue so it should work. Hope that helps.

Disclaimer- I will not be held liable for any table/stick damage. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris Cass
05-20-2004, 03:31 PM
Hi Sid,

Looks like UTAddb answered it pretty good. I do use the dart stroke and I tuck my left arm into my side, tight. The hit is what he says to do. I also use a extremely light grip and let the cue do all the work. What looks impossible, isn't. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif The cue is straight up and down. The key is not to trap the cb like a masse and also don't be afraid to pop it. Let it go.

Regards,

C.C.

stickman
05-20-2004, 05:24 PM
It was tough, but I pulled it off! I had to win 4 straight to win 10-4. That was too close. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif He didn't give me any breaks. I played well and he had some shots that hung in the pockets.

It's time to remember how to use the jump cue again! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SPetty
05-20-2004, 07:13 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote stickman:</font><hr> It was tough, but I pulled it off! <hr /></blockquote>hahaha! Great job, stickman. When ceebee visited PettyPoint Pool Hall (The Best Little Pool House in Texas!), he brought a plain piece of mylar - like plastic paper. We put that under the cue ball and Sid jumped and jumped and still didn't mar the cloth. If you've got any mylar hanging around, your room owner might appreciate it if you'd bring it along when practicing your jumps.

I used it recently to try to put into practice what Chris Cass wrote to me to teach me how to jump. (I'm a lost cause, but that's another story. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif ) No problems with marking the cloth with the jump shot.

stickman
05-20-2004, 08:07 PM
Great idea, Susan. I don't think it will take too long to get the the technique back, but in the mean time, I'm sure they will appreciate it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jim