PDA

View Full Version : Corporate Radio Owners

SPetty
05-19-2004, 07:06 PM
Clear Channel owns most of the radio stations in this town. It just KILLED the ONLY rock station in the area. They replaced it with another oldies station! We already have at least four of those that I know of in this market, but now we have NO rock station!!!

Dammit!

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote mainstream media:</font><hr>After 12 years as a mainstream rock station, KEGL/97.1 FM "The Eagle" pulled a major change Tuesday, switching to "Sunny 97.1," a light-rock station comprising songs from the '60s, '70s and '80s.

The transition came around 10 a.m., when the station -- running an automated, jock-free format since Monday afternoon -- played Sammy Hagar's Where Eagles Fly to mark the end of the Eagle. After a brief silence, an announcement aired welcoming Dallas-Fort Worth listeners to a new radio station, which then hammered the brand across by playing the Beatles' Here Comes the Sun, Stevie Wonder's You Are the Sunshine of My Life and Bobby Hebb's Sunny.

The entire Eagle air staff was fired in the change, although attempts to reach them have been unsuccessful. Robert Miguel, who was afternoon disc jockey Cindy Scull's right-hand man and did a local-music show on weekends, posted a message on his Web site saying that he was told at 2 p.m. Monday that the station would drop the rock format.<hr /></blockquote>

nAz
05-19-2004, 08:34 PM
SPetty did you loose Howard Stern too?
you know you have to blame this on the religious right, they have lobbied the bush and the FCC to ban him. boy do they have a lot of clout now a days. Then again maybe clear channel was loosing money on the rock format and are trying something else, either way I feel for you, your gonna have to listen to some collage rock station for now on. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
05-20-2004, 06:49 AM
Radio, for all intents and purposes, is dead.

I usually don't go off on Clear Channel. They just are trying to make money. And the other companies' stations are all formulaic too. But Clear Channel certainly have exarcerbated the situation. There has to be a market somewhere for some innovative music.

You're telling me there is no rock station at all? You mean hard rock like Metallica, Godsmack, Van Halen stuff? Or are you talking about so-called "modern rock", Dave Matthews, Ben Folds, etc.?

Rich R.
05-20-2004, 07:39 AM
SPetty, I can appreciate your dilemma, however, you may want to quit while your still ahead.
They could have made it a C-Rap station. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Barbara
05-20-2004, 07:44 AM
That sucks!!

Up here, we have two "oldies rock" stations. I just wish I could get it through their acid-rotted brains that there's tons of other rock groups other than the Stones, Aerosmith, and Led Zepplin.

Barbara~~~is listening more and more to WXPN...

Wally_in_Cincy
05-20-2004, 07:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> Stones
, Aerosmith,
Led Zepplin.
<hr /></blockquote>

zz top
eagles
blah blah blah blah blah

I can honestly say I have not listened to a classic rock station in 10 years at least. After having heard those songs 1000 times they get a bit stale.

pooltchr
05-20-2004, 08:08 AM
It's the same in our market. Almost all of the stations are corporate owned, and they all sound just like the stations in most every city I visit. Once in a while, you will come across an independent station, but they are few and far between. My favorite station (smooth jazz) bit the dust about 2 years ago.

I guess the best alternative is to start paying for XM. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Rich R.
05-20-2004, 10:03 AM
What I find, more offensive than the music selections, is that fact that they play so little music.
Each hour, you are lucky to hear a couple of songs. The rest of the time is filled with commercials and the DJ's talking about every idiotic idea that comes into their head. As if one DJ wasn't bad enough, most of the stations put two or three DJ's on at a time, so they can talk to each other.

Will somebody please tell these stations that people would like to hear the music and not the DJ's? /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Tom_In_Cincy
05-20-2004, 10:51 AM
I usually listen to a CD while in the car and at home the radio is only on the local JAZZ station. Mixture of old and new Jazz.

There are some radio stations in California that run the same programing on their AM as they do the FM. Not sure why. Lots of spanish stations that play nothing but spanish/mexican music and some that play R&amp;B.

Sorry for your loss SPetty. I know the feeling. I don't get to listen to my Cincy AM station except via the internet. Loved listening to WLW700 on the commute to and from work.

nAz
05-20-2004, 10:52 AM
Looks like this is the answer http://www.xmradio.com/index.jsp /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif i like free though!

Rich R.
05-20-2004, 11:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr> i like free though! <hr /></blockquote>
We pay for cable TV.
We pay to hook up our computers.
We pay for home phones and cell phones.
Now, they want us to pay to listen to the radio.

Where does it all end. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I can understand, a radio station has to have commercials, for me to listen for free. I can handle that.
I just want the DJ's to shut up so I can hear some music. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

SPetty
05-20-2004, 11:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> You're telling me there is no rock station at all? You mean hard rock like Metallica, Godsmack, Van Halen stuff? Or are you talking about so-called "modern rock", Dave Matthews, Ben Folds, etc.? <hr /></blockquote>We do have the Clear Channel "new rock alternative" station that's a little easier than the hard stuff we lost.

Being in my car an inordinate amount of time every day, I generally switch between stations several times while there. The Clear Channel rock station and the Clear Channel new rock alternative station (and a local independent "Americana" station) are the only places I get new fresh music (since I don't care for what I think they call "urban?" or "adult contemporary" or "light rock").

I also listen to some oldies, but I don't want to live in oldies-land. I can listen to CDs, but that's still not getting anything new.

How am I supposed to know what music I like if I'm not given a choice? How am I supposed to know what new music to buy if I've never heard it before? I'm already mostly in the dark when you guys start talking about music - I've never heard of most of it, but at least up until now I'd heard of some of it!

XM would give me way too many choices! I try not to box in my music tastes too much, and will occasionally flip to the genres I don't think I like just to make sure that it's still true. Every now and then there's something of interest, just not enough to keep me there long term.

moblsv
05-20-2004, 08:08 PM
Does anybody remember the big fuss last year when the FCC was voting to further deregulate? This whole thread is exactly why the "liberals" opposed Bush last year and Clinton's Telecommunications Act in '96. This has been happening for a long time and is killing music, news and freespeech.

eg8r
05-21-2004, 05:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This has been happening for a long time and is killing music, news and freespeech. <hr /></blockquote> I understand you point about killing music, maybe, but the free speech does not make any sense. Is it not evidence of free speech when a privately owned company chooses what to broadcast? A radio station that switches from rock to country is not killing the free speech of the rock bands, not in any single way, so I don't quite understand your post.

eg8r

moblsv
05-21-2004, 07:32 AM
I don't want to go too far down this 'free speech' tangent since I don't entirly buy into it myself. Partly because there are so many other information sources available to the majority of us these days. However, keep in mind that not *everybody* has access to Cable, Satellite and Internet. My main beef is the music and that's why I've been watching this sort of thing for a long time.

The basic arguement is:
These changes eased the regulations on the number of stations one entity can own both nationally and within a single market. This consolidation leads to greater standardization and sterilization of programming content and the further proscription of dissenting political views. Networks that purchase local stations generally begin by eliminating locally produced shows and cutting staff, forcing cuts in investigative journalism, coverage of local developments and local political preemptions that may cut into revenue.

Ten years ago a single entity could own something like 28 radio stations. Today Clear Channel owns well over 1000 (too lazy to look up actual number :-) )

SPetty
05-21-2004, 07:55 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote moblsv:</font><hr> Today Clear Channel owns well over 1000 (too lazy to look up actual number) <hr /></blockquote>And that's just in the DFW, TX area! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

eg8r
05-21-2004, 10:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The basic arguement is:
These changes eased the regulations on the number of stations one entity can own both nationally and within a single market. This consolidation leads to greater standardization and sterilization of programming content and the further proscription of dissenting political views. Networks that purchase local stations generally begin by eliminating locally produced shows and cutting staff, forcing cuts in investigative journalism, coverage of local developments and local political preemptions that may cut into revenue. <hr /></blockquote> I understand this and agree, however this has nothing to do with hampering, removing or eliminating free speech. The company is allowed to air whatever program they want provided it does not break any rules. Now the FCC might be hindering free speech, but I don't see Clear Channel doing it by buying up little stations and changing the program being aired.

eg8r

Ross
05-21-2004, 11:45 AM
Is this CCB? A reasoned discussion/debate about a political issue with no name calling or insults from either side??

It's just not right. So I'll start it off- Somebody is an idiot!

dg-in-centralpa
05-21-2004, 02:54 PM
Clear Channel has been firing DJ's who voice opinions against Bush. This is where the free speech hindering is coming from. Clear Channel will buy up small stations to corner the market. While I may not always agree with Bush, I shouldn't live in fear of losing my job, just because I voiced an opinion against him. Rock and Roll groups don't say much because Clear Channel has over 70% of the market for tickets, venues, etc. When the Dixie Chicks voiced their opposition to the war, Clear Channel banned them from all airplay. As for Howard Stern, he had a contract with them for over 10 years. All of a sudden he voices an opinion and they are calling him indecent, when they supported him for years.

DG - like Barbara, listening to WXPN, a college radio station that plays great music

JPB
05-21-2004, 07:21 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> You're telling me there is no rock station at all? You mean hard rock like Metallica, Godsmack, Van Halen stuff? Or are you talking about so-called "modern rock", Dave Matthews, Ben Folds, etc.? <hr /></blockquote>We do have the Clear Channel "new rock alternative" station that's a little easier than the hard stuff we lost.

Being in my car an inordinate amount of time every day, I generally switch between stations several times while there. The Clear Channel rock station and the Clear Channel new rock alternative station (and a local independent "Americana" station) are the only places I get new fresh music (since I don't care for what I think they call "urban?" or "adult contemporary" or "light rock").

I also listen to some oldies, but I don't want to live in oldies-land. I can listen to CDs, but that's still not getting anything new.

How am I supposed to know what music I like if I'm not given a choice? How am I supposed to know what new music to buy if I've never heard it before? I'm already mostly in the dark when you guys start talking about music - I've never heard of most of it, but at least up until now I'd heard of some of it!

XM would give me way too many choices! I try not to box in my music tastes too much, and will occasionally flip to the genres I don't think I like just to make sure that it's still true. Every now and then there's something of interest, just not enough to keep me there long term.
<hr /></blockquote>

If you drive a lot you are crazy not to have XM. It is well worth the trivial amount it costs. I will never have another car system without it. You won't listen to most of the channels, but it is still fine to have them. You will flip around. Off the top of my head there are about 13 rock stations. Better than having one clear channel station, huh? An array of urban stations, several jazz channels and a blues channel. Good classical channel. And talk radio you won't get anywhere else. I mean, if you are driving in the middle of nowhere at night you can get a British quiz show on BBC World. XM is great. It is a must have. I have not listened to commercial radio for more than 5 minutes since getting it.

highsea
05-21-2004, 08:00 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dg-in-centralpa:</font><hr> Clear Channel has been firing DJ's who voice opinions against Bush. This is where the free speech hindering is coming from. Clear Channel will buy up small stations to corner the market. While I may not always agree with Bush, I shouldn't live in fear of losing my job, just because I voiced an opinion against him. <hr /></blockquote>

I'm not sure I buy into this logic. If I was a radio station owner, and I was paying you to do a certain job, like being a DJ, I don't think I would be happy if you were using that job to further a political position that I disagreed with.

I wouldn't care if you voiced your political views on your own time, but I would not want you to do it on my payroll, using my station, if your job was a DJ.

I don't see this as trying to stifle free speech. I see it as expecting an employee to conduct himself according to the policies of my company while he is at work.

-CM

dg-in-centralpa
05-22-2004, 08:08 AM
I should have not used the term DJ, it should be Talk Show Host. If you are paid to talk about current events, good, bad, or indifferent, you should be able to voice an opinion.

DG - jmho

eg8r
05-22-2004, 08:55 PM
Which talk show hosts have been fired by Clear Channel because they were outspoken against Bush?

eg8r

moblsv
05-22-2004, 09:11 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> Which talk show hosts have been fired by Clear Channel because they were outspoken against Bush?
eg8r <hr /></blockquote>

Howard Stern claimed he was. I think he was fired because he's an idiot /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

highsea
05-22-2004, 11:34 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dg-in-centralpa:</font><hr> I should have not used the term DJ, it should be Talk Show Host. If you are paid to talk about current events, good, bad, or indifferent, you should be able to voice an opinion.

DG - jmho <hr /></blockquote>

I agree with you here, but only up to a certain point. A current events talk show host should have more leeway to voice political opinions than a DJ.

However, if I was a station owner, and I hired Rush Limbaugh to host a conservative talk show, and he spent everyday bashing Bush and talking up Kerry, I would still fire him.

Being a talk show host does not give carte blanche, imo. As the station owner, I still have the right to determine the policies and set the tone of my programming.

I do not have the right to tell that person what he can say when he is not working for me, or when he is on some different station.

I understand your complaint though. When a big corporation buys up all the stations in a certain area, there is a good chance that diversity will go right out the door.

-CM

eg8r
05-23-2004, 12:40 PM
LOL, I don't Howard is awake at the wheel (I also don't think he is a talk show host either). If he honestly thinks he was canned because he was talking about Bush, then there is no helping him.

eg8r

dg-in-centralpa
05-23-2004, 01:04 PM
I agree with you in some respects. Stern was fired from Clear Channel for something that was said over a year ago. If it was ok to air at that time, why is it indecent now. Bono used the F word last year and now it's indecent.Oprah had a show on talking about sexual positions and was very graphic and she wasn't banned, fined, etc. She's an icon in Clear Channels eyes. We can't have double standards. If Stern gets fined,fired, etc., so should Oprah.
DG

Ralph S.
05-26-2004, 01:49 AM
Hey Tom, I used to listen to that staion alot at night. Particulary, the Bill Cunningham show. Is he still on or around?

Wally_in_Cincy
05-26-2004, 06:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ralph S.:</font><hr> Hey Tom, I used to listen to that staion alot at night. Particulary, the Bill Cunningham show. Is he still on or around? <hr /></blockquote>

Heck yeah. Willie's on noon to 3 now.

Ralph, you're a great American /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Alfie
05-27-2004, 06:33 PM
Have a look at PBS's Frontline tonight.
episode entitled "The Way the Music Died"

moblsv
05-28-2004, 09:51 AM
available online may 29th
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/music/