PDA

View Full Version : need advice on buying a table

ledzephead
05-20-2004, 10:30 PM
hi, i am thinking of buying a pool table and need some advice on which brand to choose. Im very poor so im only looking to spend max of 2000. I was thinking of brunswicks contender brand of tahoe, but i read everywhere that olhausen is a better value. I was also looking into AMF where their cheapest table is 1600, please let me hear what brand you guys think i should go with and why, also please include guesstimates on the prices of olhausens cheap tables.

moblsv
05-21-2004, 07:55 AM
This is a very common question here, it's what I was doing when I originally discovered this site. Search this forum and the 'newbies' forum and you will find a lot of info.

Yipi
05-21-2004, 11:16 PM
I like the Diamond table, AMF Premier and Brunswick Gold Crown. My experience with these tables are that they are gonna outlast anyother table out there. I have found that the only cushion made today that is of the quality of the old Brunswick Superspeed (new ones are not anygood) are the Artemis Cushions. The Diamond tables that I have installed and played on had these and they are really nice. I also installed a set on a 5x10 snooker and the bounce is just great. Other cushions will start cracking and gelling up over time and loose their bounce. Best thing you can do for your table is to have these put on. I haven't found a leather pocket table that I like as much as a commercial style yet

highsea
05-22-2004, 01:38 AM
If it was me, with your budget, I would look into buying a used table and putting some money into it.

Talk to the PH's in your area, and especially the cue repair guys and table mechanics. They should be able to steer you in the right direction. I was in a local guy's little store buying some tips a while back, and there were 2 GC's disassembled and stacked against the wall. I think he was asking 1300.00 ea.

For a strictly playing table, I would look for an older GC with good slates. Put new cushions, Simonis, and pockets on it, and have it set up by a good table mechanic.

You should be able to get a nice table for your 2K, assuming you can live with a couple of scratches on the rails.

Anyway, that's my .02. If you have a fancy house and would be embarassed by a scratched up commercial table, you need to go "furniture". Olhausen is nice in that case, but you're going to bust your budget.

One more thing, go 9' if your room supports it.

-CM~~~doesn't really like furniture tables

cycopath
05-22-2004, 08:45 AM
Where was this shop? Anywhere near the Alabama Gulf Coast?

I'd love to find a deal like that on a GC.

Yipi
05-22-2004, 09:11 AM
For anyone wanting to restore an old commercial table with a formica top you can lightly sand (steel wool it down (you will be surprised how much of a top clear coat the formica has built into it) and apply a clear coat of water base on it to bring the luster back and remove scratches. I have been doing it for 7 years and it works great. Formica actually takes a clear coat better than most woods because it is more stable and non porus.

highsea
05-22-2004, 12:39 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cycopath:</font><hr> Where was this shop? Anywhere near the Alabama Gulf Coast?

I'd love to find a deal like that on a GC. <hr /></blockquote>

Seattle.

-CM