PDA

View Full Version : Simonis cloth on a new table?

jdlenner
05-21-2004, 07:46 PM
Hi,

I am getting a 9' brunswick medalist (new) in a couple weeks. Can anyone tell me the difference, if any, between the cloth that comes with the table and simonis 860 cloth.

Would you recommend spending the money on the Simonis or just sticking with the brunswick cloth?

I live in Thailand and the table is being imported. Also, guys are coming from out of the country to set up the table so I want to get it right the first time. If there is no need to change that's ok but if it would be significantly better, it would be best to do it when they set up the table to avoid the expense of flying them in from Malaysia again. (that's the closest brunswick dealer)

Thanks

highsea
05-21-2004, 08:16 PM
What kind of cloth is standard?

Personally, I wouldn't own a table without Simonis on it, but that's just my opinion.

-CM

Troy
05-21-2004, 09:03 PM
100% agreement here !!!

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote highsea:</font><hr>
Personally, I wouldn't own a table without Simonis on it, but that's just my opinion.

-CM <hr /></blockquote>

Yipi
05-21-2004, 11:07 PM
Semonis is the correct choice. My opinion of the Bruswick Medalist after installing and covering is that it is a very weak tabel. Have you looked at its framing "not much stoutness to it" I found it's not very stable and won't hold up well in a pool room. I would get something else.

Chris Cass
05-22-2004, 02:00 AM
Simonis "860" is good and Champion "Mercury Ultra" or the "Tour Addition 2000" cloth is good, a bit cheaper. Both make a good home cloth. They play close.

Regards,

C.C.

highsea
05-22-2004, 02:03 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Yipi:</font><hr>My opinion of the Bruswick Medalist after installing and covering is that it is a very weak tabel. Have you looked at its framing "not much stoutness to it" <hr /></blockquote>

I have heard similar opinions from others. From the post, I assumed jdlenner was putting this in his house. I tend to agree it's probably not the best choice for a commercial room.

LOL, I am a "hands on" type. I would already have my frame modifications ready to install when the table showed up. hahaha. Too many years in Aerospace.

-CM

highsea
05-22-2004, 02:20 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> Simonis "860" is good and Champion "Mercury Ultra" or the "Tour Addition 2000" cloth is good, a bit cheaper. Both make a good home cloth. They play close.

Regards,

C.C. <hr /></blockquote>

Hey Chris, How does 860 stack up against T2000 or Basalt? The same, or is T2000 closer to 760? A friend of mine has Granito (not sure which, think it's Basalt) on his home table, but I haven't had a chance to play it. Plus, it's <font color="purple"> purple </font color>, Gross! LOL Might as well have a big beer logo on it!

-CM~~~thinks pool cloth should be offered in every possible variety of standard green

Chris Cass
05-22-2004, 02:34 AM
Hi Highsea,

I think the T2000 is closer to the 860 than the 760. The only thing that I get out of it is. The 860 is slower than the T2000 in the beginning. Once the table gets some wear on it I think they even out a lot. I think the 860 holds up a little longer myself. I'm only going by the playability. I don't know the difference in the cloth weight but that could be a key in the wear of the table. It's in my humble opinion that for a home table both will hold up well. Commercial? I'd go with the 860 for holding a more consistant play the entire time.

Regards,

C.C.~~never heard of the basalt. I'm not an expert and only basing this on personal play since my hall has both. I would suggest getting a cloth that you have to compete on normally. That way, there's no surprizes.

highsea
05-22-2004, 03:30 AM
Chris,
That's kinda what I understand, T2000 is Granito's answer to 860. Hopefully I will get a chance soon to go play my buddy's table and see for myself. (Assuming the purple cloth doesn't send me into some kind of wierd, 70's acid flashback. LOL /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

Anyway, thanks for your .02, CC. Hope all is good with the Fam.

-CM~~~OK, 860 it is. But it has to be green!

jdlenner
05-22-2004, 05:03 AM
Thanks for the advice everyone. By the way, the table is for my home. It wasn't easy making a decision here because there are no tables available to try out. I chose the Medalist because it was the mid-range commercial table. The gold crown was a little too expensive for me.

I condsidered Olhausen but they never responded to my emails and Brunswick responded promptly.

I guess I'll find out soon enough but is the Medalist a decent home table? /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

highsea
05-22-2004, 05:48 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jdlenner:</font><hr> Thanks for the advice everyone. By the way, the table is for my home. It wasn't easy making a decision here because there are no tables available to try out. I chose the Medalist because it was the mid-range commercial table. The gold crown was a little too expensive for me.

I condsidered Olhausen but they never responded to my emails and Brunswick responded promptly.

I guess I'll find out soon enough but is the Medalist a decent home table? /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif <hr /></blockquote>

I'd be happy with that table in my home.

CC and Troy are much more experienced than me, so please discount my opinions accordingly.

As to the cloth, definitely Simonis. (in <font color="green"> green </font color> , of course) IMHO /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

-CM~~getting dizzy now...

jdlenner
05-22-2004, 06:26 AM
Thanks again Highsea. Why green by the way?

Rich R.
05-22-2004, 07:23 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jdlenner:</font><hr> Would you recommend spending the money on the Simonis or just sticking with the brunswick cloth?
<hr /></blockquote>
Unless things have changed in recent years, the standard cloth on a Brunswick table is one of the older type cloths, with a heavy nap. It plays much slower than the Simonis.

I would highly recommend getting the Simonis.
Depending what type of player you are, I would also recommend getting the pockets double shimmed. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

highsea
05-22-2004, 07:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jdlenner:</font><hr> Thanks again Highsea. Why green by the way? <hr /></blockquote>
Did I emphasize green? hahaha. Sorry, I'm just being a stick in the mud. Get whatever goes with your wallpaper. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I don't know, the balls just show up best for me if the table is green. Call it familiarity.

Weird colored cloth, big logos in the middle of the table,etc. are all just another distraction. My eyes are not as good as they used to be. I like what I am used to.

I don't want elephant balls, I want centennials. No neon lights under the rails, no glow-in-the-dark balls. I don't want my cue to have a lava-lamp in the butt. I'm too old for that sh*t.

And I think Rich was joking about the double-shimmed pockets. (at least I hope he was...even one shim would be too much for me with my eyes)

-CM

jdlenner
05-22-2004, 09:52 AM
I have to admit that I don't even know what "double-shimmed" means. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
05-22-2004, 10:05 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jdlenner:</font><hr> I have to admit that I don't even know what "double-shimmed" means. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Rich was joking.

Some folks like to add shims at the ends of the cushions to tighten the pockets up. Basically you are extending the rubber cushion and thereby decreasing the width of the pocket opening. In your case I think that would not be a wise move.

and yes, go with the green cloth. you will not be sorry.

Pelican
05-22-2004, 10:52 AM
Highly agree on the shimming. You can definately go to far with it. If the pockets are too tight you will get frustrated and not enjoy the game. Too many folks forget that is what it is - a game. Also agree with the green cloth. Put a sort of burgandy on my last one and now highly disappointed. Shows chalk and stuff too much. This is on a valley bar box. Just bought a Diamond Profession from Mr. Grady Mathews. Mechanic is coming Monday to assemble and cover. My stepson wants to shim the pockets but I said no. It has procut pockets and they are tight enough for my 60 year old eyes /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif .

Rich R.
05-22-2004, 01:03 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote highsea:</font><hr> And I think Rich was joking about the double-shimmed pockets. (at least I hope he was...even one shim would be too much for me with my eyes) <hr /></blockquote>
highsea, it is not your eyes that are the problem. You have to put that pool table someplace, other than on the deck of your boat. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

highsea
05-22-2004, 04:58 PM
LOL, Rich.

Yea, but I can make 13 rails, when the weather is rough. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

And I can make 15 on the snap, if I wait long enough...

-CM