PDA

View Full Version : Durability of Simonis cloth

NeedHelp
05-21-2004, 08:53 PM
Is simonis cloth as durable as the standard cloth that comes on an Olhausen or Brunswick? I'm about to order a new table and was planning to upgrade the cloth. But, I thought I better check to make sure it will withstand being played on by hacks. I'm sure I'll have as many hacks as good players playing on the table and I'd hate to see it get mangled.

Troy
05-21-2004, 09:01 PM
You can't go wrong with Simonis 860 for durability and/or play. It's a bit "slippery" when new, but otherwise it's great cloth.

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote NeedHelp:</font><hr> Is simonis cloth as durable as the standard cloth that comes on an Olhausen or Brunswick? I'm about to order a new table and was planning to upgrade the cloth. But, I thought I better check to make sure it will withstand being played on by hacks. I'm sure I'll have as many hacks as good players playing on the table and I'd hate to see it get mangled.

<hr /></blockquote>

highsea
05-21-2004, 09:33 PM
860 is very durable. You may want to consider saving a few 5"x5" (or so) squares of leftover cloth from when the table is first covered.

When you are just dorking around practicing masses, breakshots and jumps you can use these "diapers" to protect the cloth.

You can also use them when the "hacks" are breaking.

-CM

Yipi
05-21-2004, 11:01 PM
Semonis is a Worsted Wool cloth instead of a nap cloth. The stitching is much finer and tighter which makes it more durable than nap cloth. 3x the life of nap cloth. Gives a truer ball roll.

Predator314
05-23-2004, 10:08 AM
I think it's very durable. As for the hacks, it's hard for any cloth to stand up to what they put it through. Some things you should consider:

- Use a spare square of the material as a break pad so the player can place the cue ball on the pad to break from. Many rooms I shoot in do this.

- Prohibit Masse shots
- Prohibit Jump shots
- Prohibit Red Chalk!
- Personal preference, prohibit powder chalk (the talc type stuff that people use to make their hands smooth /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif ). That crap makes the biggest mess and should be outlawed.
- Prohibit food or drinks 10 foot from the table /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
- If someone sits on the table, knock them off.

enjoy your table.

ras314
05-23-2004, 10:17 AM
I like all your rules except the red chalk.

Off colored chalk makes it easy to see so it can be cleaned up before it filters thru the cloth. I use a little hand held vacuum, only takes a second.

tateuts
05-23-2004, 12:16 PM
It's pretty tuff stuff but it does get small gouges in it from hitting downward with the tip. Even hard draw shots will cause this. However, it still plays fine even with the holes because it's so thin.

Chris