PDA

View Full Version : Zen

Abby
05-22-2004, 12:00 PM
Greetings. I was directed to this board when I googled Zen and pool playing. About my pool playing skills and knowledge - none. I am the worst.

I do find,however,that after a few beers my skills improve. Recently my brain was "reorganized" by seizures. Things work a little differently. I am thinking that if I can actually learn the basics I might be able to actually get the hang of it now. I am really bad at it though, but would LOVE to conquer it. Are there people that just /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gifcannot play? Or is it something that with practice even the most idiotic can attain some mastery?

I'm moving to Fl soon and will have access to a pool table that isn't in a bar setting. I want to learn to play and play well - so bad!

Okay - going to go cruise the board. This is interesting to say the least!

Wally_in_Cincy
05-22-2004, 12:06 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Abby:</font><hr> ...is it something that with practice even the most idiotic can attain some mastery?... <hr /></blockquote>

Mastery? I will probly play for the rest of my life and never achieve mastery.

Skill? Yes, almost anyone can achieve some level of skill with practice.

Frank_Glenn
05-22-2004, 12:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Abby:</font><hr> Greetings. I was directed to this board when I googled Zen and pool playing. About my pool playing skills and knowledge - none. I am the worst.

I do find,however,that after a few beers my skills improve. Recently my brain was "reorganized" by seizures. Things work a little differently. I am thinking that if I can actually learn the basics I might be able to actually get the hang of it now. I am really bad at it though, but would LOVE to conquer it. Are there people that just /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gifcannot play? Or is it something that with practice even the most idiotic can attain some mastery?

I'm moving to Fl soon and will have access to a pool table that isn't in a bar setting. I want to learn to play and play well - so bad!

Okay - going to go cruise the board. This is interesting to say the least! <hr /></blockquote>

Once you get settled, find a BCA instructor near you and take a lesson. A proper instuctor can start you out on the right track to gain the skill you need. <font color="blue"> Then just practice 12-14 hours a day, and you got it! </font color> (just kidding about the 12-14yrs/day, but you must practice more than once a week to truly improve. 1-2 hrs every day or every other day is good, more is better.)

BillPorter
05-23-2004, 12:10 PM
Abby,

Zen + Pool..... Maybe not such an odd combination after all. Here's a quote from a Website about Bill Stoud's pool cues. It's at the botton of this page: http://www.cues.com/smith.html

<font color="purple">Pocket billiards, or pool, so called for the halls where players pooled money for the stakes, is the other branch, an equally beguiling and mysteriously satisfying endeavor involving multicolored smaller balls and a cue stick. In pool, you win by knocking the cue ball into object balls and making them fall into pockets, positioned in the corners and midway down the two long sides of the table. Variations of the two games are myriad, as diverse as the mind's capacity to torture itself with challenging problems in spherical trigonometry, geometry, psychology and Zen. So much Zen, in fact. that <font color="red">the late Zen scholar Alan Watts once called the game "Zilliards."</font color>

No one "masters" the game, but with enough practice, you WILL improve.

Jay M
05-23-2004, 09:23 PM
What part of Florida? I know people in a LOT of areas that are good players/instructors down there.

Jay M

Alfie
05-23-2004, 11:37 PM
Zen pool tip- Don't wobble!

/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Abby
05-24-2004, 04:13 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jay M:</font><hr> What part of Florida? I know people in a LOT of areas that are good players/instructors down there.

Jay M <hr /></blockquote>

Jay - I'll be in Venice - on the gulf side. I saw a pic in the brochure of my parent's little community and it had a pic of two pool tables in their rec room so I'm thinking there must be some one there that would humor me!!

Do you know anyone in that area with a lot of patience?

Abby
05-24-2004, 04:19 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BillPorter:</font><hr> Abby,

Zen + Pool..... Maybe not such an odd combination after all. Here's a quote from a Website about Bill Stoud's pool cues. It's at the botton of this page: http://www.cues.com/smith.html
.....Variations of the two games are myriad, as diverse as the mind's capacity to torture itself with challenging problems in spherical trigonometry, geometry, psychology and Zen. So much Zen, in fact. that <font color="red">the late Zen scholar Alan Watts once called the game "Zilliards."</font color> .........
<hr /></blockquote>

Do I need to get out my math books from highschool and study up? Now I'm getting scared!

Thanks for the info - going to follow your link now!

Zilliards - that's funny!

Abby
05-24-2004, 04:34 AM
By the way - here is a link to the thread that led me to this web site http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccbboard&amp;Number=27603&amp;page =0&amp;view=collapsed&amp;sb=1&amp;o=&amp;fpart=1

I see a few of you that have responded to my initial query had posted replies in this thread. It's really quite interesting.

Okay - so 12 to 14 hours a day, no wobbling.....I will have to quit work, drink no coffee, up with the sun to meditate,
arrange my little room according to the laws of fung shue..
practice the the ancient tradition of AUM .......

#### leonard
05-24-2004, 06:18 AM
Bill as I have posted here before, sorry girls, given the choice of making love to the most beautiful women in the world or running 200+ I would take running the 200. It is the Ultimate High that I have experienced.

Running two hundred is but a memory but a very lasting one. Playing nineball gives one no high because of the luck factor that is involved. No ball on the break end of run, play the one into the nine end of game. I call it Helter Skelter.

Most Great straight pool players would practice for hours running 100s getting high. Was it Zen? I think so.####