PDA

View Full Version : Heaven to Hell ...help please

snookerbloke
05-22-2004, 01:01 PM
Three months ago while practising my snooker i decided to try for a maximum 147 point break this involves potting the black ball after all 15 red balls and then all the colours in order. I loosely spread the reds around and after 9 or 10 atempts i made the break. Now a 147 is a big deal at snooker similar to a 59 at golf or 300 game at bowling.
A couple of nights later in the same hall i was practising again when a friend of mine came over and had a chat. I couldnt resist telling him about the max break and he said go on do it again. To mine and his amazement i did at the 1st try!!
During both breaks i had a wonderful sense of calm. Aiming wise all i remember doing was looking at the centre of the pocket getting down adressing the cb 2 or 3 times and knocking the ball in clean. Position wise i just tried to get an angle for the next position and the cb seemed like it was on a piece of string. It was all so easy in stroke and flowing no need for ghost balls (my usuall method) i didnt even consciously pull the line back from the centre of the pocket through the object ball.
So there i was on top of the world after 20 years playing the game i thought i had it, the holy grail complete cue sport domination. My friend and lone witness went around telling anyone that would listen about my break, he even twisted the truth a little saying i had made it in a game against him!
So back to the present ive spent three months of complete frustration looking at the centre of the pocket doesnt seem to be working anymore. I feel i have to prove myself against anyone i play who knows about my breaks. Ihave reached and touched on perfection and even breaks that before would have given me confidence ie 50 or 60 breaks leave me uninspired. My head is full of junk while i play im trying too hard. I have paralasis by analisis and to top it off ive got a big game coming up infront of a crowd on a tight pocketed table. I played today and my highest break was 38 (8 or 9 balls in a run).
My stroke is still good i tested it on some long straight balls. The problem lies in my not trusting my aim inabuility to relax and anxiousness about the upcoming match.
Has anyone any ideas about clearing my addled brain and regaining some confidence im in such a state at the table right now. Pre shot routines perhaps linked to aiming methods, i know they work in my golf but never been able to work one out for my snooker somehow. Any feed back would be appreciated.

sack316
05-22-2004, 02:10 PM
I'm not big on snooker, but what I try to do for me and also for my teammates is actually something that stems from my being drunk and cocky one night. I got hooked bad and the other guy pretty much thought he won, I chuckled, smiled at him and said "it's all easy" hit a great kick shot and ran out. Somehow that stuck with me because I hand't been shooting real well until that.So now when I am in a funk or even a teammate is struggling, I make them slow down or I stop myself and just say "it's all easy", because I know I've done it before, and somehow it calms me and I get back in stroke. Maybe if you can find a little phrase or thought to calm you before you shoot you can just get down and make the ball instead of concentrating on making the ball. just my little thing.

Billy
05-22-2004, 03:10 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote snookerbloke:</font><hr> Three months ago while practising my snooker i decided to try for a maximum 147 point break this involves potting the black ball after all 15 red balls and then all the colours in order. I loosely spread the reds around and after 9 or 10 atempts i made the break. Now a 147 is a big deal at snooker similar to a 59 at golf or 300 game at bowling.
A couple of nights later in the same hall i was practising again when a friend of mine came over and had a chat. I couldnt resist telling him about the max break and he said go on do it again. To mine and his amazement i did at the 1st try!!
During both breaks i had a wonderful sense of calm. Aiming wise all i remember doing was looking at the centre of the pocket getting down adressing the cb 2 or 3 times and knocking the ball in clean. Position wise i just tried to get an angle for the next position and the cb seemed like it was on a piece of string. It was all so easy in stroke and flowing no need for ghost balls (my usuall method) i didnt even consciously pull the line back from the centre of the pocket through the object ball.
So there i was on top of the world after 20 years playing the game i thought i had it, the holy grail complete cue sport domination. My friend and lone witness went around telling anyone that would listen about my break, he even twisted the truth a little saying i had made it in a game against him!
So back to the present ive spent three months of complete frustration looking at the centre of the pocket doesnt seem to be working anymore. I feel i have to prove myself against anyone i play who knows about my breaks. Ihave reached and touched on perfection and even breaks that before would have given me confidence ie 50 or 60 breaks leave me uninspired. My head is full of junk while i play im trying too hard. I have paralasis by analisis and to top it off ive got a big game coming up infront of a crowd on a tight pocketed table. I played today and my highest break was 38 (8 or 9 balls in a run).
My stroke is still good i tested it on some long straight balls. The problem lies in my not trusting my aim inabuility to relax and anxiousness about the upcoming match.
Has anyone any ideas about clearing my addled brain and regaining some confidence im in such a state at the table right now. Pre shot routines perhaps linked to aiming methods, i know they work in my golf but never been able to work one out for my snooker somehow. Any feed back would be appreciated. <hr /></blockquote>

you've managed to put yourself in a peculiar situation

you're obviously a good player but now is the time to come down off the pedestal, deflate your big head, and stop wanting and waiting for the feat to re-occur

let your cue do the talkin' snooker player

lower your expectations and rediscover the fun and enjoyment of running the table whether they be black,pink, or blues

you don't need to win by 147 points,winning by one point should be just as gratifying

jmo

snookerbloke
05-23-2004, 01:21 AM
Thanks guys ill try the phrase thing, i thought the deflating my big head was a bit harsh though lol. If i had a big head about it i dont think id be having any bloody trouble.