PDA

View Full Version : Just how important is slate framing?

ledzephead
05-22-2004, 09:44 PM
hi, i was just curious how important framing the slate is. Is it better to not have the slate framed at all rather than using a "slate frame-liner". If the slate is not framed at all will it have a big impact on the tables performance?

Yipi
05-22-2004, 09:56 PM
The reason you want your slate framed is so that you have a surface that can hold staples for cloth installation instead of having to use glue. If you don't mind gluing the cloth down then you don't need your slate framed.

mworkman
05-23-2004, 04:35 AM
I noticed my table was both glued and stapled. Is there an advantage to this or is that overdoing it?

ceebee
05-23-2004, 11:38 AM
there is another important issue pertaining to slate framing... SUPPORT. Some manufacturers don't provide enough support for the slates & they will actually sag in time.... I know this to be true.

Yipi
05-23-2004, 02:43 PM
Think of slate as a flexable material which is prone to sagging and bowing. A table does need to have support under the slate down the middle of the table and at the slate joints to properly support it and to shim it to the correct level. I always order the extra framing kit when I sell a new table (not sure why they just don't include it in the full table kit). AMF tables have an additional frame kit that you have to pay extra for which is a must to get the table right. Tables that don't have the center framed and only have the framing at the slate seams need an upgrade.