PDA

View Full Version : Shimming pockets / Blatt Billiards question

JDog_1
05-23-2004, 05:43 PM
I recently bought a house and will be able to put in a nice 9-footer in the living room(woo-hoo!). I went to Blatt Billiards in NYC to talk tables. I think I'm going to go with a sweet Peter Vitalie Worthy. I asked the salesguy about shimming the pockets since I heard Vitalie tables have buckets and he looked at me like I was on drugs. He said in order to make pockets tighter on any table (brunswick, vitalie), you'd have to make modifications to the rails which would cost over $1000. He said you can't just put in rubber shims because it affects the angle balls enter the pocket, how the table plays, etc..

What's the story here? Every one on this board talks about their double/triple shimmed pockets and Blatt Billiards says it isn't done, period..

Any thoughts? Should I go elsewhere?

Thanks,

JD (newbie)

Troy
05-23-2004, 06:12 PM
My first thought is that the salesman was simply trying to get an extra grand out of you. I think he's on drugs or something... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Shimming is done all the time. I admit that triple shims are NOT the best way to go however. If I wanted pockets that tight (and I do for 1-Pocket, less than 4.5" corners), I'd go for longer rails. The best table mechanic in NorCal charges about $100 (that's ONE HUNDRED) extra since he's already re-covering the table. He does double shims for NO EXTRA CHARGE.

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JDog_1:</font><hr> I recently bought a house and will be able to put in a nice 9-footer in the living room(woo-hoo!). I went to Blatt Billiards in NYC to talk tables. I think I'm going to go with a sweet Peter Vitalie Worthy. I asked the salesguy about shimming the pockets since I heard Vitalie tables have buckets and he looked at me like I was on drugs. He said in order to make pockets tighter on any table (brunswick, vitalie), you'd have to make modifications to the rails which would cost over $1000. He said you can't just put in rubber shims because it affects the angle balls enter the pocket, how the table plays, etc..

What's the story here? Every one on this board talks about their double/triple shimmed pockets and Blatt Billiards says it isn't done, period..

Any thoughts? Should I go elsewhere?

Thanks,

JD (newbie) <hr /></blockquote>

Chris Cass
05-23-2004, 10:58 PM
Hi Troy,

Naa, I don't think the salesman was trying to get extra money out of him. I think he just doesn't know what he was talking about. Most pool tables sales people don't play and have no clue about shimming. They're just in sales is all.

I think if he were to say install extra pocket facings on the rail ends it would have been more clearer but either way. I don't think they would. That's something he'd have to ask the mechanics that put the cloth on. Even then, the rails would most likely be clothed already and his only recourse would be to stop the setup men from putting the rails on and take them to a local mechanic to do the job.

Myself, I would wait till the thing needs reclothing. Then, have the local mechanic do them. By then he'll also know if he wants to add an additional facing to each rail. Triple shim would be too much for some people. Not that I don't know plenty that have them. Double shim is good enough.

My other suggestion would be to buy those pocket reducers. They're like $30. and last forever. He could put them in or take them out without any problems. He could also sell them later for $20. to basically anyone.

Regards,

C.C.

#### leonard
05-24-2004, 06:31 AM
TRoy the correct way is to extend the rubber and add wood behind the rubber making a solid hit. Double shimming gives a irreglar hit on missed shots. It is only good on pocketed balls.####

Troy
05-24-2004, 07:44 AM
Hi Chris... You're probably right about the sales guy not knowing diddly about pool... /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Chris Cass
05-24-2004, 08:23 AM
HAHAHAHA

When I was 16 I went to a Brunswick table sales place and tried to buy a LaPro tip for my cue. They carried some house cues, powder and limited supplies. The salesman tried to sell me some slide on tips that went over the ferrule. He said it was recommended by many top players. LOL

Regards,

C.C.

Rod
05-24-2004, 04:02 PM
Yes and tripple shims are even worst. No table mechanic here Leonard but I know how a cushion should rebound.

Rod

nAz
05-25-2004, 02:03 PM
A few months ago crew from Blatts were setting up a new table in my friend PH, i asked if they could shim out one of the tables and the guy told me the same thing, that he needs to order special rails and cushions that are cut longer. WTF!?

GeorgeV
05-25-2004, 04:28 PM
I had an 8' Brunswick Bradford recovered a couple of months ago. Had the pool table mechanic double-shim the pockets down to 4.5 inches. Didn't cost anything. No problems. There is a bit of a "thunk" when a close shot misses, but that doesn't bother me. I guess the missed ball might take a different track after rebounding off the shims, but that's a pretty random thing, so I wouldn't know the difference anyway.

I am replacing that table with a new 9' Brunswick Gibson that I ordered two weeks ago. I told the salesman I wanted the pockets double-shimmed. He understood and will have the rails shimmed and covered with Simonis before they deliver the table. No extra cost for it.

Maybe having totally new cushions customized to create 4.5 inch pockets would be the best way to do it, but it seems like a total waste of money to me.

Troy
05-25-2004, 07:57 PM
Obviously the sales person at Blatt's does NOT have a clue !!!

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr> A few months ago crew from Blatts were setting up a new table in my friend PH, i asked if they could shim out one of the tables and the guy told me the same thing, that he needs to order special rails and cushions that are cut longer. WTF!? <hr /></blockquote>

Troy
05-25-2004, 08:00 PM
If you were an avid 1-Pocket player you would definitely know the difference.....and would spend the extra bucks..... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote GeorgeV:</font><hr> Maybe having totally new cushions customized to create 4.5 inch pockets would be the best way to do it, but it seems like a total waste of money to me.
<hr /></blockquote>