PDA

View Full Version : Break Cue basics

HD_Slim
05-24-2004, 11:29 AM
Howdy All

My first post - so a brief background. I joned a local pool league (APA) back in March and finished the Spring league a few weeks ago. Had a great time and have learned a bunch - I'm rated at SL 2 and am probably just at the verge of going to a 3 - need to improve my consistency.

Had always just been a slop shooter and bar player - and really enjoy the whole strategy part of pool league.

Now for the question - I've got a modest priced cue I use for playing ( about ~$100) and am considering getting a modest priced break cue. I'm tired of either whacking the ball with my playing cue or hunting down a house stick.

Any general rules for the qualities of a jump/break cue - any reccomendations for a cue in my price range (about$100) ?

I assumed I wanted a heavy cue (at least 21 oz) -- but somewhere on the web I read it should be lighter -- hmmmm I'm confused
/ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif
thanks

SPetty
05-24-2004, 11:34 AM
Howdy HD_Slim,

Please wander on over to the Cue Chalk Board with this question. You'll probably get some good answers over there.

(This forum is more for the "How does this forum work" types of issues...)

Sid_Vicious
05-24-2004, 12:03 PM
That lighter is better phylosophy doesn't hold up for me. I bought a breaker @ 18oz(I play with a 19.5), and frankly I break much better with the play cue, or many of several 19-19.5oz cues. I also break well with certain wall cues @ 21oz, so I personally discount the fundamental of it being lighter. jm2c...sid

Rich R.
05-26-2004, 12:38 PM
IMHO, stick with your current cue, until your ability improves and you think you want a new cue. At that point, buy yourself a better playing cue and use your current cue for breaking. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif