PDA

View Full Version : not getting the breaks

sack316
05-25-2004, 11:59 AM
this isn't anything special, it was something just comical to us last night. We had our double jeopardy league (both 8 and 9 ball in the same night), and me and the same guy played each other in both. We went hill-hill in 8 ball for a total of 7 racks with neither of us pocketing a single ball on the break. We were spreading them good every time, just no love. So then we go to our 9 ball match, and for the first 6 racks one again we both had come up dry every time. Everyone was cracking up and it even got to the point where he called a timeout on his break! finall I was breaking in the last rack and managed to pocket a ball, and everyone went nuts as if I had just won the US open or something. I ran around the place slapping hands and proclaiming how great I was now. I'm sure it was something you had to be there for to appreciate, but it was a great example of just how fun the game can be if everyone there is trying to have a good time and has a sense of humor. Wish me luck tonight, I think I'm just going to give up the breaks in my match this evening!

Popcorn
05-25-2004, 12:35 PM
I saw Pat Fleming play Nick Varner and he gave him the break every time he, (Pat) won a game. Varner thought he was nuts, but Pat had the stats on that table and Varner and they said Varner would not make balls on the break. Pat turned out to be right and went hill-hill losing the last game, but Varner almost never made a ball on his breaks. I agree with you by the way, the game is suppose to be fun, first and foremost. Isn't that why we began playing the game in the first place? Some how it gets lost as we become better players.

Malice
05-25-2004, 05:22 PM
I can't remember the exact math, but it's almost certain to happen sooner or later. If you make a ball on the break even 75% of the time, eventually you will play enough games were pure math says you will have a streak of 10 breaks with no love.

dg-in-centralpa
05-25-2004, 05:48 PM
I understand your frustration. During 8 ball league this year, in practice before the match I would make 2-3 balls on the break every time. Once the match started I couldn't make a ball. Even tho I was hitting at the same spot,same speed, etc. That happened to me several times.

DG - counting the days until the Belmont