PDA

View Full Version : Finish sanding a clear coat?

cycopath
05-25-2004, 01:02 PM
Hi guys,

I just recieved a sneaky pete from a 'local' maker. It looks like the guy didn't even take the time to sand the clear coat after he sprayed it. I really don't want to send the thing back to the guy. I would like to hand sand the thing myself. So what grit should I use to polish out the clear coat?

ashmouth
05-25-2004, 01:16 PM
I really think you should send it back and have the maker take care of it for you. If he truly wants to be successful in this endeavor, he needs to hear feedback from his customers on what he is doing right/wrong in order to improve his skill.

If he is unresponsive to your request, some 600 grit sandpaper should do the trick...

Popcorn
05-25-2004, 01:20 PM
I would take it back to him and let him do it. You don't know what kind of finish he used or how much he put on, plus you paid him for the cue. You could easily sand through his finish making a mess for yourself. A lot of guys are afraid to lay down a good wet coat when finishing. They spray many coats that are little more then mist because the don't have a feel for it and don't have enough finish put on. Once you have built up a nice finish, sanding between coats, to insure a nice smooth finish the real work and fun starts. The finishing work to the finish is the trick to that amazing look some cue makers get. I ike finishing, I even painted my own car in my back yard.

Popcorn
05-25-2004, 01:32 PM
I work backwards when it comes to working out a finish. I would never start with 600. I start wet sanding with like 1000 or 1500 and may go down if I need to but not if I don't have to, you just end up making sanding mark you now have to remove. My guess from what he says, this guy sprayed it with something in a spray can from the Home Depot and does not have a clue. Rubbing out the finish is the most pleasurable part, because you know the result you are going to get. A cuemaker would never want to cheat himself out of the best part of building the cue, that final polish where the cue looks like a jewel.

RedHell
05-25-2004, 01:33 PM
Popcorn,

How many points did your car have ??? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

cycopath
05-25-2004, 01:42 PM
The wierd thing is I've ordered a cue from this dude before and it was perfect. Beautiful workmanship.

Then won one from him off of eBay. It was not as nice. Points didn't line up perfectly, wrap was not pressed very well.

Then I got this off of him, eBay again. And the points ain't even close and the finish is rough. The price was right.

Maybe he just doesn't take time with the cues he sells on eBay, I don't know. You would think he'd not want to attach his name to an inferior product.

ashmouth
05-25-2004, 01:48 PM
popcorn is right... apologies for the poor advice... for some reason i got it into my head that you were talking about sanding off overspray on the shaft and did not even fathom that you were talking about the butt end of the cue.

mah bad...

Cueless Joey
05-25-2004, 02:07 PM
Send it back.
Fine sanding requires a lot of work and technique ( grease elbow?).
Some cuemakers don't even know to properly get rid of the swirls. I saw one cuemaker use a car buffer on his cues.
They had swirls after that. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Pelican
05-25-2004, 02:59 PM
I'm afraid you are fighting a lost cause. Just throw it away. Just put it in the garbage can in the back of the store and it'll get taken care of. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif