PDA

View Full Version : Martin Bauer pool table...

RedHell
05-25-2004, 01:26 PM
While talking with a friend who has expensive taste, he mentionned a pool table that was advertised in a highend furniture magazine. A Martin Bauer, so I got curious and looked it up...

Martin Bauer Web site (http://www.martinbauerbilliards.com)

Wow, what a weird looking table, I wonder about playability and started reading deeper in the website...

1" Italian Slate --- pretty good
K66 bumpers -- OK, that also pretty good
Simonise clothe -- Wow, this seems serious now...

Price -- 48K$ OMG /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Serioulsy, does anyone have ever seen this table before, heard of it or tried it !

Who in their right mind could spend 48,000$ on a pool table like this, darn, the light doesn't even come with it !!!!

I must admit, I do like the little gap between the cushion and the slate. Perfect to brush the dust and crumbs off !!!

BooBoo
05-26-2004, 04:47 AM
It just goes to show you if you've got the money or whim, there is always someone ready to take care of you!

PQQLK9
05-26-2004, 09:07 AM
Interesting...reminds me of the Lunar Lander

mjmar10
07-11-2004, 07:08 PM
RedHell - I appreciate your excitement about the Tournament Table, however I must correct you in that the light does come with it. Four color choices, in fact. That info is available on the same page as the other specs you cited. Price? Have you seen the Renaissance table? Around 53k. Heavy computer carved wood if that's your style - not mine. Our pricing has been adjusted, however. Let's just say our previous pricing advisor is no longer advising. The price point is now $36k. Can I build one for you?

Rod
07-11-2004, 07:35 PM
What a table, looks like it should have been in 2001 a space odyssey. Those weights hanging down must be a damper of sort for rail harmonics. Can't say as I've seen anything like it, but I'd like to play on it. Ah yes the rail clearance, interesting table to say the least.

Rod

Rod
07-11-2004, 07:40 PM
I noticed the price was 36k, what a steal. lol Seriously, the sides are exposed as in the picture? Where would you put your hand shooting out of a corner? It looks like it has every adjustment. Are those weights hanging down some sort of tuning device as in a damper for rail harmonics? Since they don't sit on the bed, that's what I imagined. I'll bet it plays sweet.

Rod

Cueless Joey
07-11-2004, 09:20 PM
This table has to come with the Sardo Rack. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Chris Cass
07-11-2004, 09:23 PM
This table comes with Efren. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

C.C.

RedHell
07-12-2004, 01:34 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote mjmar10:</font><hr> RedHell - I appreciate your excitement about the Tournament Table, however I must correct you in that the light does come with it. Four color choices, in fact. That info is available on the same page as the other specs you cited. Price? Have you seen the Renaissance table? Around 53k. Heavy computer carved wood if that's your style - not mine. Our pricing has been adjusted, however. Let's just say our previous pricing advisor is no longer advising. The price point is now $36k. Can I build one for you? <hr /></blockquote>

Mr. Martin,

Thanks for following up on this post, I greatly appreciate the fact that you are here to stand behind your product. To answer your quesiton, no I've never seen or heard of the Renaissance table at 53K$. I wish I had, I'll probably look it up.

As for the light, your website state that it includes the Plexineon from Ilight Technologies. That's described as a ambiant light coming from below the table top. As a pool player and without having seing this light system, I have believe that it would be insuficiant for my liking.

Also on your website in the accessories and pricing pages you mention the Delta Light "Spacelab" series for 1200$ added to the mentioned 36,000$. Wich lead someone to believe that the light aren't included.

Now as for if you can build one for me, you sure can, I would be more than pleased to demo your table in my home. The only problem I have (or you have) is that I can't afford such a table. But I'm sure they is plenty of people who are willing to pay for it.

It's kinda like an LC4, it's not that comfortable but it look good and everybody knows what it is.

Thanks again for coming and visit, I hope you come back, I'm sure you could bring a different view on many opinions here.

woody_968
07-12-2004, 01:45 PM
I think you two are talking about two different lights. One that goes above the table and one the goes under it /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

RedHell
07-12-2004, 01:50 PM
Woody that is exactly it... Still it's a interesting looking table !

SecaucusFats
07-12-2004, 03:37 PM
I think it's ugly as sin! I'd take a Gabriels, Diamond, or Brunswick Gold Crown IV any day over that table, and still have enough to buy a matching light, spectator chairs, a nice cue rack, Schon's for house cues, plus have thousands left to put in the bank. I guess it's just the thing for a rich ball banger with more money than sense, and a craving for style over substance. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

SF &lt;--- Wouldn't buy one even if I had Mega Millions.

Pizza Bob
07-13-2004, 09:16 AM
No doubt about it, the Bauer table is truly unique, in looks and price.

Because it's unique, I'm sure it has, or will find, a market. The manufacturers that puzzle me are ones like this:

http://www.catskillfurniture.com/Specialty.html

Beautiful table, in the Mission style, but the price quoted is $21K to $23K (and that doesn't specify that it is the 9' model). Brunswick made beautiful Mission style tables during the actual Arts &amp; Crafts period (late 1800's to about the 1930's). These tables, with a little searching, can be had for a fraction of the cost of these reproductions - even allowing for someone like Blatt or Newell doing a restoration. Then you have a true, playable, antique that will appreciate in value. Can anyone rationalize the purchase of the repro one featured on the linked site? Just curious if my thoughts make sense, or if I'm way off base.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

RedHell
07-13-2004, 09:55 AM
Bob,

I'm not sure what Brunswick you are refering to... I looked up the tables on Brunswick website from 1845 to 1945 and can't seem to associate the Robert Allen table to a Brunswick.

In any case, I think we have to take off our pool player glasses and start wearing our furniture glasses. As I mentionned earlier about the LC4, Le Courvosier was making furniture that was very "Avant garde" in the 20s but those today are very similar to what you could find in a good furniture store. Still and LC4 retails for about 10K$. Albeit serialised and certified, it will remain a chair.

When you fall in luxury item, reason is put aside and exclusivity takes over. Hence I'm sure there is a market for the Marting Bauer or the Robert Allen.

But I agree with you, my cousin pick up a suberbe Brunswick 1908 for 200$Can. He's been working on it as a hobby and is near ready to put it back together (baby slowing down his project). But all in all he'll probably have paid 1000$can for it and we'll end up with a very nice piece of furniture...

Barbara
07-13-2004, 10:10 AM
Bob, Bob, Bob, Bob...

That's the table you buy for your 7000 sq ft mountain cabin because your wife refuses to decorate with "used" stuff. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

WWBD?

Barbara~~~what would Bob do?

http://www.whatonearthcatalog.com/cgi-bin/hazel.cgi/hzpi/u/HzSt01171114150m14150m0U0n0m161715121010120m/hazel.cgi?ACTION=SEARCH&amp;SEARCH_SPEC=bob&amp;submit.x=1 2&amp;submit.y=7

Pizza Bob
07-13-2004, 11:06 AM
Eric:

I wasn't speaking in the sense of a literal copy. Brunswick made any number of tables during the Arts &amp; Crafts period that were done in that style - a quick perusal of their site shows they even named one of the tables "Old Mission Style". The point is that the Catskill table is a replica - no guarantee that the maker will gain enough reputation to ever insure that it will impact the piece's value. With a genuine antique, the assurance is already there.

Looking forward to seeing you and your wife in Sept.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Pizza Bob
07-13-2004, 11:10 AM
Barbara:

If their mountain cabin is only a mere 7000 sq. ft., then they deserve to furnish it with crass reproductions. I think the table would find a very nice home under the velvet Elvis painting.

As for "Bob".....give me the real thing!

Love the site - have to go shopping now.

Adios,

Pizza Bob