PDA

View Full Version : Side rail break-- use dominant side?

phil in sofla
05-25-2004, 05:20 PM
I mainly break 9-ball off the side rails. I'm right-handed, and I vary from breaking on the right, to the left, more or less equally.

Is one side supposed to be better than the other for a rightie, and if so, why? (Naturally, guessing the answer would be the same but opposite for a leftie).

I don't perceive either side as giving me more stroke freedom. The only other difference is how close I can get to center table in my stance, and it seems I can get a little closer on the left side, which would maybe make that the better choice. Yet I seem to recall the right side is preferred for a rightie.

Any Accustats or Phil Capele numbers on effectiveness of the break from the dominant side, compared to the off side?

dg-in-centralpa
05-25-2004, 05:52 PM
Personally I think it's more of what feels comfortable to you. In 8 ball I break from the right side rail. In 9 ball I break from the left. I've tried switching sides in 8 ball but always scratched or jumped the cb off the table. I can do either side for 9 ball.

DG - for whatever it's worth

Malice
05-25-2004, 06:06 PM
I'm typically a second-ball hitter when breaking in eight ball. If the rack's a little off, I switch sides to where the 2nd ball is the largest target.

In 9 ball I do not switch.

RedHell
05-26-2004, 07:15 AM
From what I can remember most of righty breaks from the left and lefty from the right side...

In my opinion you should practice and develop a good break from both sides and probably one from the kitchen also. Some tables/rackers will never pay from the right and a switch to the left will often fix this. If left doesn't work either, a kitchen break is sometimes the solution.

The more break you master the more weapons you have for war !

Chris Cass
05-26-2004, 07:25 AM
Hi Phil,

This is easy. First look at the rack and see if the wing ball is touching the 9. You break from the opposite side of the gap or from the side that's touching the 9 ball.

Now, if the rack is slightly crooked then you break from the opposite side of the tilt. Normally, the right handed racker will tilt the rack unknowingly (sometimes) to their right so, you'd break from the left side of the table.

Now, if the rack is tight and everything is touching then, break from the left if your right handed and left if your not. Hope this helps.

Rgerads,

C.C.~~good call Red Hell.

RedHell
05-26-2004, 07:35 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr>Now, if the rack is tight and everything is touching then, break from the left if your right handed and left if your not . Hope this helps.
<hr /></blockquote>

Mmmm, so when do you break from the right ??!?!?! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris Cass
05-26-2004, 07:45 AM
When Red Hell tells you to. HAHAHAHAHA

Oh, if this is a legit question then, when the gap is on the left side of the 9 ball. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C.~~BTW, I'm not always right but I just wanted to rub it in when I am. LOL You know the deal, it's called marriage. hahahha

RedHell
05-26-2004, 07:55 AM
Chris,

Oh do I know about being right and marriage, but just like my wife you think you're right event when your not... /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I just wanted to point out that you had a little typo in your message. I'm sure you ment "break from the left when you're right handed and from the right when you're not"... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

~~See I was also trained to play the "No I was right" game...

Perk
05-26-2004, 08:05 AM
Great post C.C....I enjoyed the insight. For me, 8ball I break from the right side all the time. 9ball I tend to have variety always looking for the sweet spot.

As to answer the initial question, during the 80's when the videos came out with Mizerak, Ewa, &amp; Pretty Boy Floyd, Steve Mizerak demonstrated and discussed the break in detail during one of the videos. He stated that if you are right handed, you should break from the right, and if you are left handed you should break from the left. Something about balance. But it is definately a personal preference and as C.C. posted, you can find alot out about the break just by checking racks.

Where is Joe Tucker's Racking Secrets when ya need it!

Chris Cass
05-26-2004, 08:14 AM
Hi Perk,

Missed ya bud. You know I've yet to see the Joe Tucker rack secrets book. Well, there's a lot of books I've never seen. Not a big reader but likes pool books.

Anyway, I totally agree with your 8 ball thinking. I do look for the sweet spot too in the 8 ball rack. I do break from the right side too and I'm also right handed. If my break isn't working I will change over to the left side without any thought.

I think primarily because for a right hander my strong side is shooting to the left. Same as back cutting a ball so to speak. When I practice I'll test my weak side all the time and drill it too. I somehow equate this to the break too. JAT

Good to see you,

C.C.

PQQLK9
05-26-2004, 11:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> ,

You know I've yet to see the Joe Tucker rack secrets book. Well, there's a lot of books I've never seen. Not a big reader but likes pool books.

<hr /></blockquote>
I will send you Joe Tuckers book when I mail the picture tomorrow... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Chris Cass
05-26-2004, 10:11 PM
Oh Carl,

I can't wait to have that pic. I'm going to put it with my collection of all my favorite friends. It's going on my wall. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Best time and can't wait till next yr,

C.C.~~I can read that book. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rod
05-26-2004, 10:20 PM
Oh Carol,

Add me to that pic of yours. I'd love to see the Purple hair. Sorry CC to invade your post. Hope I'm not out of line for asking. CC what color is your bit of hair? LOL

~~Rod, needs to wear a hat in the sun

Rod
05-26-2004, 10:32 PM
No one side isn't better IMO. It depends on the table and who is racking, if a longer set. Most R/H 1P may prefer the left side. That is because most shots are easier to reach from the left side. Any other game, change if your not getting the desired efect. Even speed has an effect, just hit em solid wherever you break from so you have a basis to make a good judgment.

Rod

Chris Cass
05-27-2004, 05:26 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> Oh Carol,

Add me to that pic of yours. I'd love to see the Purple hair. Sorry CC to invade your post. Hope I'm not out of line for asking. CC what color is your bit of hair? LOL [ QUOTE ]

OUCH! Your a trouble maker Rod. For your information my BIT of hair is, dark brown with sensual golden highlights and has a silky cast of soft flowing silver tones, coinciding with small patches of lightly tanned open areas from K-Mom grabbing the back out it and holding me down. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif If you see this son? This is because you know how Mom likes to wressle. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Actually, I look like a porcupine. Now, quit picking on me, ya bully. Oh, I don't care about the thread thing. I'm famous for that stuff. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C.~~younger bro Rod is always rubbing it in. just b/c he has hair. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

phil in sofla
05-27-2004, 01:33 PM
You say, besides rail breaks on either side, one should also develop a break from the kitchen?

But the side rail breaks ARE in the kitchen, or else they'd be illegal.

Do you mean center table, in the kitchen, sort of where the break box would be, if there were one provided or mandated?

phil in sofla
05-27-2004, 01:37 PM
Thanks for confirming what I thought I'd seen or read somewhere.

Sounds like maybe it USED TO be something advocated by the conventional wisdom, but now, isn't?

RedHell
05-28-2004, 01:57 PM
Sorry I wasn't clear...

Yes I meant a break more in the center of the table...

My point is mainly that breaking of the rail I use a different bridge than off the slate. Therefore I tried to pratice maintaining a good power precision ratio, not only off the rail, but also of the slate. This allow me to increase the possible angle I can attack the 1-ball.

Billy
05-28-2004, 08:49 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote phil in sofla:</font><hr> I mainly break 9-ball off the side rails. I'm right-handed, and I vary from breaking on the right, to the left, more or less equally.

Is one side supposed to be better than the other for a rightie, and if so, why? (Naturally, guessing the answer would be the same but opposite for a leftie).

I don't perceive either side as giving me more stroke freedom. The only other difference is how close I can get to center table in my stance, and it seems I can get a little closer on the left side, which would maybe make that the better choice. Yet I seem to recall the right side is preferred for a rightie.

Any Accustats or Phil Capele numbers on effectiveness of the break from the dominant side, compared to the off side?

<hr /></blockquote>

9-Ball,the only reason to break from the side rail is to pocket the wing ball.sometimes the one ball falls into the side but generally you are playing position on the one ball.if one knows how to read the rack and specifically sees a gap, the player(to better his chances of pocketing the wing ball) may move the cueball to the other side rail or towards center table depending on the count,location, and size of the gap(s)

jmo