PDA

View Full Version : Blogging Iraqi style

highsea
05-25-2004, 08:44 PM
I posted this on AZB, but I will put it up here also, for those who don't get to the NPR forum over there.

I stumbled across this blog by a young Iraqi Dentist in Basra. I found it interesting. He also posts some links to other bloggers in the Mid-East, which I haven't explored yet. It's kind of a snapshot of daily life we don't see in the news.

There are a couple pretty funny stories about the Internet cafe he works from. Also a large section devoted to pictures. Check out the Internet Cafe shots, and the guys playing Nintendo.

http://healingiraq.blogspot.com/

Here is a picture of their poolroom. I would have attached it, but it is 1600x1200.
http://healingiraq.blogspot.com/la%20006.jpg

-CM

Ross
05-25-2004, 11:01 PM
Thanks for that link, Highsea. It is refreshing to get an Iraqi insider viewpoint from someone who 1) is on the scene, and 2) doesn't have a political axe to grind. I learned more from reading his blog than I've learned from reading weeks of media reports. It was interesting what he said about how the doctors and intelligencia feel about the release of prisoners of Abu Ghraib, about Sadr losing his support, how the killing of the GC president might have actually been coincidental, how the members of the GC are sitting ducks because they have no expedited entrance into the Green Zone, and the bit about the former marsh Arabs now being a major criminal element stealing power transformers and robbing people and doing Abu Graib like abuse to extort money.

The blogger is a brave man to live in Iraq and also write honestly about the Quran and some of its barbaric teachings. It's like the Christian Old Testament, which has barbaric teachings scattered throughout.

On to a much more cheerful subject: I loved the Iraqi pool hall pic. Wonder what game they are playing? 8-ball? The shooter has decent form but I think he should move his bridge on the other side of the object ball he is shooting over. I would bet 100 bucks he misses the shot he is lining up. And notice how the opponents/spectators all stand leaning against the table, just like Asians and Hispanics tend to here in the US. And why are the signs in English?

Thanks again, Highsea! I have bookmarked this blog.

highsea
05-25-2004, 11:59 PM
You're welcome, Ross.

I have been following the links on his blog around to other mid-east bloggers and it is a very eye-opening experience. There is a guy is Saudi Arabia who is literally risking his life to publish his blog.

The guy is very critical of the Saudi Royal Family. It scares me to read some of the stuff he says. I hope he stays safe.

That poolhall in Basra, it looks like most of the paintings on the walls are logos and scenes from Nintendo games. Some of them have smaller writing inside the logos in Arabic. The tables look like 5x10's and the frames are beat to hell, but the cloth looks pretty good. The cues look like the same ones I played in bars all around Mexico.

When you look at the pictures of the internet cafe, it looks like half the guys are playing nintendo! It must be pretty popular with the young guys there, something they never had under Saddam.

-CM

highsea
05-26-2004, 03:25 AM
Here's another one from a doctor in Badhdad. It's really amazing. I hope people read this stuff.

http://iraqthemodel.blogspot.com/

-CM

Wally_in_Cincy
05-26-2004, 07:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
So, to distance myself from the shameful hypocritical Arab and Muslim masses. I wish to denounce this barbaric act and the pathetic ideology that fueled it, to disown any person from my part of the world who would justify it, and to offer my sincere condolences and sympathy to the family and countrymen of Nicholas Berg.

And for Muslims, who are definitely going to say 'this isn't the real Islam':

"When you meet the unbelievers, strike off their heads; then when you have made wide slaughter among them, carefully tie up the remaining captives." Surat Mohammed:4

Grow up, and leave the 7th century.
<hr /></blockquote>

Damned interesting. Wish I had time to read it all.