PDA

View Full Version : Cue Makers' Tournament

haywood
05-25-2004, 09:15 PM
Ok, so I have too much free time on my hands and I came up with a thought. Wouldn't it be interesting to have a tournament for the cue makers out there. There are definitely some real artisans out there, but how well would they match up against each other at actually playing some stick? Who would the favorite horse(s) be if there was ever a tourney set-up? I'd pay 10 or 20 bucks to watch that action I think. Any thoughts/predictions?

Malice
05-25-2004, 09:59 PM
I used to play on an APA team with Russ Espiritu, perhaps 10 years ago. His APA 8 ball rating was a 6.

I played some past-time with Mike Erwin for a couple of games. More to hit with a few cues than really trying to play. If had you walked by, you would guess his speed to be an APA 4.

I played with Mark Moore once; honestly can't remember how he played, but if he was lousy I'd remember it.

stickman
05-25-2004, 10:22 PM
I'm told that Ted Harris and Chris Hightower shoots a pretty mean stick, but I have no firsthand knowledge. I'm sure that there are many others. It's an interesting concept. I'd like to watch!

Cueless Joey
05-25-2004, 10:53 PM
Bill Stroud and Bludworth supposedly play good one-pocket.

Popcorn
05-26-2004, 12:27 AM
I don't know if Billy still plays, but he was a very good road player, (all games). It took a top player playing good to beat him. Paul Motty plays very good as does Dennis Searing. By the way they have had cuemaker tournaments in the past.

Rich R.
05-26-2004, 03:56 AM
A lot would depend on the game played.

I know that Tim Scruggs plays a fair game of one-pocket. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I also understand that Mike Lambros was a pretty good player, at one time, but I'm not sure how much he plays now.

Vagabond
05-26-2004, 04:54 AM
Howdy,
Bill stroud played played some Pro tour events in late 80s.Ted Harris is an excellent player.I am surprised to know that some one here knew the name of Mark Moore.Are u from colarado? cheers
Vagabond /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

pooltchr
05-26-2004, 06:41 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote stickman:</font><hr> I'm told that Ted Harris and Chris Hightower shoots a pretty mean stick, but I have no firsthand knowledge. I'm sure that there are many others. It's an interesting concept. I'd like to watch! <hr /></blockquote>

Chris and his son are both pretty stout players. They played on our Georgia tour stop in Marietta earlier this year.

Chris Cass
05-26-2004, 07:13 AM
Well,

I know Joey Gold used to play some mean bank pool. I think his 9ball was pretty sporty also but the guy can put some banks togather. You might have to deal with the attitude and that's always fun if you know what I mean?

C.C.

SpiderMan
05-26-2004, 07:57 AM
Bill Schick told me he used to travel with Mike Massey before the latter "got religion", but I've never seen him actually play.

SpiderMan

Scott Lee
05-26-2004, 11:01 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> Well,

I know Joey Gold used to play some mean bank pool. I think his 9ball was pretty sporty also but the guy can put some banks togather. You might have to deal with the attitude and that's always fun if you know what I mean?

C.C. <hr /></blockquote>

In my opinion, Joe Gold would be one of the (if not THE) toughest cuemaker/players to beat. Add to that, Joe has a HUGE ego, and loves to gamble high! Plus, he can play any game quite well...even straight pool.

Scott Lee

tateuts
05-26-2004, 12:04 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Scott Lee:</font><hr> [In my opinion, Joe Gold would be one of the (if not THE) toughest cuemaker/players to beat. Add to that, Joe has a HUGE ego, and loves to gamble high! Plus, he can play any game quite well...even straight pool.

Scott Lee <hr /></blockquote>

Scott,

How about Bobby Hunter and Mike Sigel?

Chris

ted harris
05-26-2004, 02:20 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote haywood:</font><hr> Wouldn't it be interesting to have a tournament for the cue makers out there. Any thoughts/predictions?<hr /></blockquote>
IMHO, the cuemakers in order of rankings would be;
1. Mike Sigel
2. Bobby Hunter
2. Rick Howard
3. Dennis Searing
4. Me...
4. Joe Gold
4. Jerry McWorter
4. Guido Orlandi
5. Andy Gilbert
6. Paul Mottey
This is for 9-ball only. Obviously, if it was one-pocket or straight pool, Mike Sigel and Bobby Hunter would stay the same, but others would be moved around...or completely off the list of top 10, and some other cuemakers would take their place. I really don't know how Hightower plays, but if someone can rank him or any other cuemaker according to the Phoenix or USPPA ranking system, then we can figure out where everyone ranks. Please post your rankings, and I will update the list as we go.
I would play all but Sigel, Hunter, and Rick Howard for the cheese. Dennis Searing is probably the favorite, but I would have to take a shot at it just to see.

tateuts
05-26-2004, 03:40 PM
Ted,

I love your list!

So now that you' ve done that, what about the 10 worst banger cue makers? Where do Runde, Porper, Sherm, and Huebler stand? How about Josey, Dale Perry and Blud? Do you think Ernie could give Tad 10 to 6? Or Dale could give Blud the last two?

Come on... let us have it!

Chris

ted harris
05-26-2004, 04:13 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote tateuts:</font><hr> Ted,

I love your list!
So now that you' ve done that, what about the 10 worst banger cue makers? Where do Runde, Porper, Sherm, and Huebler stand? How about Josey, Dale Perry and Blud? Do you think Ernie could give Tad 10 to 6? Or Dale could give Blud the last two?
Come on... let us have it!<hr /></blockquote>
Chris,
I don't know how some of them play, and some cuemakers can't play at all. Porper likes one-pocket. Incidentally, Bill Stroud won the cuemaker/player tournament about 6 or 7 years ago in Olathe. He beat Bobby Hunter in the finals. Rumor has it that Hunter would like to play him some, in case anyone can arrange a game! I have never seen Blud play, but as I understand it, he was good player before he got into cuemaking, and now likes one-satchel. Heck, for all we know he could be in dead stroke! I have no idea how Sherm plays, though I have heard he can play.
That's one of the reasons why I want to know how they would be rated according to the USPPA or the Arizona ratings committee. The USPPA would be better, because it covers a wider range of rankings. I would like to create a list of at least the Top 10 or 15 cuemaker players in all disciplines.

ted harris
05-26-2004, 08:59 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ted harris:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote haywood:</font><hr> Wouldn't it be interesting to have a tournament for the cue makers out there. Any thoughts/predictions?<hr /></blockquote>
IMHO, the cuemakers in order of rankings would be;
1. Mike Sigel
2. Bobby Hunter
2. Rick Howard
2. Mike Gulyassy
3. Dennis Searing
4. Me...
4. Joe Gold
4. Jerry McWorter
4. Guido Orlandi
5. Andy Gilbert
6. Paul Mottey
This is for 9-ball only. Obviously, if it was one-pocket or straight pool, Mike Sigel and Bobby Hunter would stay the same, but others would be moved around...or completely off the list of top 10, and some other cuemakers would take their place. I really don't know how Hightower plays, but if someone can rank him or any other cuemaker according to the Phoenix or USPPA ranking system, then we can figure out where everyone ranks. Please post your rankings, and I will update the list as we go.
I would play all but Sigel, Hunter, and Rick Howard for the cheese. Dennis Searing is probably the favorite, but I would have to take a shot at it just to see. <hr /></blockquote>
And I forgot to add Mike Gulyassy to the list, so the above list has been revised.

stickman
05-26-2004, 09:11 PM
I gave Chris Hightower an e-mail. We'll see if he joins in.

Jim

Malice
05-26-2004, 10:31 PM
Perhaps not the same Mark Moore. MM I know is on the Mississippi gulf coast.

But yeah, I mostly live in Denver, Colorado. Just away for a few months.

stickman
05-27-2004, 08:17 AM
Ted, I hope Chris doesn't mind my relaying his reply. I suspect that he isn't registered to post. Anyway, this is what his thoughts were:

Hi,
I read Ted Harris's top ten list and I think Stroud should be in the middle. Jerry Powers plays better than some of them and Danny Tibbits plays better than about half of them in my opinion. I used to live near Andy Gilbert and I played a hair under him while he was still playing regularly, so I doubt I would make the list. I think if you had a race to 9 round Robin with the above list I would win about 2 or 3 matches and I think Tibbitts or Powers would win 4 to 6. Stroud would win at least half his matches. Another cuemaker that would be right in there with Tibbits and Powers is David Rowell. So who knows. They tried to get all of us cuemakers to have a tournament in Vegas as many of us showed up at the same room at the same time during a trade show and I said yes and most of the rest declined. I was hitting them good back then and felt I would have won. But the field would not have been as tough as Ted's list. But some of them were there. Part time cuemaker Joe Alvarez would be near the top of the list if he was playing regularly. Probably top three if Guylassi still has his eye problems. If not #4.
That is my 2 cents worth.
Thanks,
Chris Hightower

cycopath
05-27-2004, 02:25 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote stickman:</font><hr> Another cuemaker that would be right in there with Tibbits and Powers is David Rowell. <hr /></blockquote>

Rowell won the 2000 US Amateur Championship, so yeah I guess he shoots a decent stick. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2000 US Amateur Championship homepage (http://www.poolplayers.com/2000usam/)

Scott Lee
05-27-2004, 02:37 PM
Chris...Yep, they'd be right in there too! LOL

Scott