PDA

View Full Version : Just when I start thinking "I'm good," that's when

Sid_Vicious
05-25-2004, 09:25 PM
...I get bad.

I read this line in another site, and it struck me as rather "I totally relate." Y'all ever had chokes and remembered that your head was swollen at the time thinking you were winning BIG, distracted for a glimpse of thought, whammo! down you sink in quicksand????sid

brian_
05-26-2004, 12:25 AM
Yup happens every summer lol. My game goes in the crapper every spring when the tournaments start to die. Like this year in one little tournament I played in every Sat nite I think I didn't atleast get 3rd maybe 3-4 times. Now I'm lucky to run 4 balls, but this winter it'll be back just like the last 3 years lol.

Chris Cass
05-26-2004, 07:41 AM
Hi Sid,

In every sport there comes times when you get the wakeup calls. It's normal and keeps your head right. It kind of keeps you grounded. IMHO The thing is there will always be someone better, there will always be days that are not good, and finally, there will always be days you'll be unstopable. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C.

Sid_Vicious
05-26-2004, 04:58 PM
What's on my mind though is the breakdown, almost from the instant that someone internally pats themselves on their backs, and then their zone is busted from that moment on. I have very little doubts where I fit on the food chain in this sport, and yet some days playing, I excel against really good players(local shortstops), UNTIL I realize it, then it is "back to Mayberry with Barney and Andy" making those dumb mistakes again cuz of that mental studder ;-) sid

Rod
05-26-2004, 05:53 PM
Simple Sid, don't pat yourself on the back. Just go with the flow and don't think about it. The longer you learn to sustain inward emotions of feeling like your superman or in the zone as they say, the longer it lasts. It really isn't something to think about when your playing. Now don't get me wrong, confidence is good to a point, then being over confident can get you in trouble. IMO confident and in the zone are two different creatures but related.

Me, I know I'm not great so it doesn't concern me. I know I can play very well for the most part, some days are just better than others. If I do hit the balls real sweet then it's a good day. If I don't play as well the next time it still doesn't concern me. For me being consistent is what it's all about and not have big swings. To me that sounds like what you have, big swings and that can be brutal if you let it. Just let it go and take it in stride, including the next time you play. No excess baggage, you know? However if you play well, don't get a fat head. LOL

There, have I totally confused you yet? /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Have fun Sid, it's only a game.

Rod

brian_
05-27-2004, 01:44 AM
Sid,
Just try to keep the additude I do during tournaments and gambling, any time you start seeing all the rolls going your way and/or you can't seem to miss just say to urself hey it's better to be lucky then good. It may sound strange but it works, atleast for me. I'm just like you, anytime I start to get on a "high horse" sure enough someone comes along and knocks me down. So now I try not to think like that. People think I'm nuts sometimes cause just about everytime I win a match in a tournament I have a big grin on my face and anytime anyone says anything about it being a good game I just say it's better to be lucky then good man. People that don't know me probably think I'm trying to hustle them but it's just the way I think. There always seems to be atleast one shot or roll in every game that alittle luck plays a part in whether it be the other guy misses or you go to break something out and it lays even better then you thought it would for example. I've beat people on a regular basis that if you ask me I'd tell you their way better then me and probably beat me all day long. So you might give that a try, basicly just stay humble.

I've found alot of help with my game from these forums over the past couple of years, both mental and mechanicly. So if my way doesn't work hopefully someone else will chime in with a way that will.

Sid_Vicious
05-27-2004, 07:25 AM
This subject I posed didn't seem to catch the proper gear as I'd thought it might. Truthfully, what I was eluding to was a common fault in 99%(imo) of all of us, and I say that because I've sat and watched the full range of players from new to seasoned daily players. I believe that everyone will play to a point of superbness for a period and then they falter because of the internal "ah-HA, I'm playing and winning." I deem it humanly impossible to avoid it, and saying to shoot every shot like they're the same in importance, no difference...well there's an old saying, "It's easy to say, near impossible to do." I deem myself a fairly modest person when it comes to self praise, and yet what my internal mind chatters to itself, subconsciously, is another matter. Maybe Earl's attitude is just as good as anything...sid

Chris Cass
05-27-2004, 03:05 PM
Tap, Tap, Tap. I think you said it best my friend.

Regards,

C.C.~~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Qtec
05-27-2004, 07:21 PM
Sid, this is a great discussion point but I think if you want the answer to YOUR probelm[ if there is one],one would have to get personal.
For instance;
Do you think it is inevitable that you will break down at some point or other?
Do you REALLY expect to win from these guys?
How good do you REALLY think you are.[ and dont give me that BS about how you know your place /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif]

Talk to somebody who is qualified. They can help you put your thoughts in order and help you understand what you think you think.[ if that makes any sense.LOL]

There's more to pool than having a good stroke.
When the table is open, we play against ourselves.

qtec

Sid_Vicious
05-27-2004, 08:42 PM
Q...Well I wasn't really pointing to my own malady(but admitting it) instead generalizing about the bulk of everyone's weakness. I actually have grown into a pretty good non thinking player(imo), BUT there does come times when I'm on the threshold of success and get snake bit, not always, but it does happen, and I doubt that even the pros can attest that they are immune to an over-confident, "I'm winnin' this thing!" at their level of their competition, ask Kim Ga Young about her demise in the loss to Corr for the national title when she missed that 9 for the title. You can also ask Corr, cuz she lost that match in the last game, twice, and still won due to Kim's crumble...sid

bluewolf
05-28-2004, 11:34 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr>. I believe that everyone will play to a point of superbness for a period and then they falter because of the internal "ah-HA, I'm playing and winning." I deem it humanly impossible to avoid it, and saying to shoot every shot like they're the same in importance, no difference...well there's an old saying, "It's easy to say, near impossible to do." I deem myself a fairly modest person when it comes to self praise, and yet what my internal mind chatters to itself, subconsciously, is another matter. Maybe Earl's attitude is just as good as anything...sid <hr /></blockquote>

Well, I know that early on,a few times, I was playing good and had a chance to beat a better player, like 3sl above me or so and lost. I realized that inside my head, I thought that I was supposed to lose to an sl6 or whatever. Maybe some people call that 'fear of winning'. Fortunately I got over that attitude and realized that anyone can have a bad day and get beaten by a weaker player who is having a great day.

I have not gotten good enough to be over confident against a good player. When I beat a better player, it is a grueling fight for survival and all I can concentrate on is the shot and where I want to cb to end up etc, to even have a fighting chance. If there were any other thoughts in my head at all, I would not have a chance. I don't even think about winning or losing until the match is over because 'it isnt over til its over'.

So, I guess I have not yet experienced what you say unless my earlier times of thinking I was 'supposed to lose' counts.

Laura

Ross
05-28-2004, 12:53 PM
I think I know what you're talking about Sid. It gets me at times. It sounds like it has the same basis as the common sharking technique of really playing it up when an opponent is shooting well: "Boy, I've never seen you shoot so well. You never miss!" thus increasing the pressure on the next shot. I think we can self-shark by saying the same thing to ourselves.

We have a couple of players around here who will say "great shot" to me only when I am getting to a critical point in the match. It used to work a little bit on me before I realized that it was a calculated ploy. Now it just irritates me and helps me focus.

Maybe the same internal technique would work? Get irritated at the little voice in your head that says "Boy, are you shooting great!" and reply internally with "Shut up, you little bxxch!" Or answer the inner voice out loud and scare your opponent AND the railbirds! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

crawdaddio
05-28-2004, 11:18 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ross:</font><hr> Or answer the inner voice out loud and scare your opponent AND the railbirds! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
[ QUOTE ]

Now that would be funny /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif