PDA

View Full Version : Dufferin factory tip

Wally_in_Cincy
05-26-2004, 12:35 PM
I bought a Dufferin sneaky pete at a local tournament last week. Just something to take to the local bar/s to bang around with.

Last night was the first time I had shot with it. After only 2 games the tip mushroomed worse than anything I have ever seen. It was completely flat on top, had compressed by 1/16 to 1/8" and had at least 1/16" protruding all around the edge.

I laughed at first before I realized it's going to cost me another 10 bucks to get a good tip.

Anybody know what brand of tips they put on these at the factory?

Popcorn
05-26-2004, 12:40 PM
I would think a LePro, but who knows, something cheap I am sure. You need to know how to replace your own tips. It is just too much hassle having it done, paying, maybe not liking the tip, doing the whole thing over again. Plus, it's fun to do it yourself and not be dependent.

Rich R.
05-26-2004, 12:41 PM
It was probably an Elk Master or some other inexpensive, soft tip, commonly used on house cues.

Now you can put a nice Moori tip on your new cue. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
05-26-2004, 12:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> It was probably an Elk Master or some other inexpensive, soft tip, commonly used on house cues.

Now you can put a nice Moori tip on your new cue. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

I've been using elk masters on 3 shafts for a year now and they are nothing like this. It was the worst looking tip I had seen since playing in my parents basement at the age of 16.

Moori? No thanks. Too hard for my taste.

Wally_in_Cincy
05-26-2004, 12:54 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> I would think a LePro, but who knows, something cheap I am sure. You need to know how to replace your own tips. It is just too much hassle having it done, paying, maybe not liking the tip, doing the whole thing over again. Plus, it's fun to do it yourself and not be dependent. <hr /></blockquote>

Yeah I know but I found a guy who does a great job with overnight service for $10

It may have been a lepro I guess but I used to use lepros and never saw one like this. Whatever brand it was it was a bad batch /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

kenz54
05-28-2004, 11:45 AM
Wally, most of the dufferins come stock with a lepro tip although a few of their higher priced ones come with elk master.

catscradle
05-28-2004, 01:21 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> I bought a Dufferin sneaky pete at a local tournament last week. Just something to take to the local bar/s to bang around with.

Last night was the first time I had shot with it. After only 2 games the tip mushroomed worse than anything I have ever seen. It was completely flat on top, had compressed by 1/16 to 1/8" and had at least 1/16" protruding all around the edge.

I laughed at first before I realized it's going to cost me another 10 bucks to get a good tip.

Anybody know what brand of tips they put on these at the factory? <hr /></blockquote>

I had several Dufferin SPs (the Phantom model) and I've never had that problem even breaking regularly with them. I've heard that Le Pros can vary greatly in hardness. Maybe it is a Le Pro and is a soft one.

SpiderMan
05-28-2004, 02:46 PM
Was the leather sort of gray in color, with extremely coarse fibers (hairs)? I've seen a few of those on cheap cues, they look as if they were cut from a pair of hush puppies and go spongy after an hour of play. Most of the Dufferins I have seen came with decent tips, but maybe they have changed or ran out of the good stuff one weekend ;0

SpiderMan

Troy
05-28-2004, 04:56 PM
Definitely a Le Pro tip. But remember, Le Pro's are notorious for their inconsistency. You're just one of those lucky souls ... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif who got a real soft, mushy tip. I'll get 5-10 per box that will "blow up" on me during installation.

Troy...~~~
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> I bought a Dufferin sneaky pete at a local tournament last week. Just something to take to the local bar/s to bang around with.

Anybody know what brand of tips they put on these at the factory? <hr /></blockquote>