PDA

View Full Version : Clueless in Berkeley

ashmouth
05-26-2004, 03:10 PM
Just want to know if the following has happened to anyone else in the forum:

So I was playing at my local poolroom a few nights back with my brand spanking new Dale Perry custom that I had received just two days earlier. Well, after playing a bit, I went out to grab a quick smoke and asked one of the guys on the table if he could watch my stuff for me. When I got back, my new cue was no where to be found! When I asked the guy who was on the table if he saw my cue, he just gave me this blank stare like "what cue?". Well, after I calmed myself down a bit, I looked around the room for any sign of my newly departed cue and low and behold, I see some fool playing with it on a nearby table. I walk up to him and say "you know that's my cue you're playing with" and he looks back at me and mumbles some crap that it was just leaning against the wall so he grabbed it. At that point I felt like wringing his neck for being dumb enough to mistake a custom cue for a house cue but I realized that none of this would have happened if I A) quit smoking or B) took my crap with me.

To be honest, I was just glad I had my cue back!!!

UWPoolGod
05-26-2004, 03:23 PM
More than likely happened to alot of us. I had a custom Tim Scruggs sneaky pete walk a few times which was understandable. Some of the bartenders play jokes on the TD when he gets sloshed by hiding his custom jump cue behind the bar. He goes searching the whole bar everytime before heading to the tenders. He never learns.

Popcorn
05-26-2004, 04:41 PM
I have had that exact thing happen many times. The worst thing I had happen was at a pool room at closing time. I had my cue, of all things a Ginacue, laying on the table and I was at the bar,. The last group of guys, four kids paid their time and left and the door was locked. We always hung around after closing sometimes all night. I go to the table and the cue is gone. I am retracing my steps but I remember clearly leaving the cue on the table. I tell the owner one of those kids stole my cue. He runs outside but they are gone, so he calls the cops, the station is just down the street. He tells them what happened and gives them a description of the four kids. This is like 3 am and there is not a car on the road and the cops find the kids not far from the pool room and bring them back. Here is what happened, one of the kids thinking he was doing a good deed, had gone around the room and put all the loose cues back in the racks, mine as well. There it was, right there just a few feet from where we were standing.

That I got lucky with that cue another time. I had left it in my car on the floor by the gas and break pedals when I went in a bowling alley to see if I could find someone to play. When I came out, I saw the dome light on in my car and the door half open. The car had been broken into to steal the tape player. When 8 track players first came out, they would steal them like crazy. I look in and no cue or tape player. I go back in and call the cops. When they come they do a report, I tell them about the Ginacue and how it was worth more then the car a 65 Ford Falcon I paid $300. for, The stick was $600.. To make a long story short, the next day I go out to the car and I find the case way up behind the front seat. They must have thrown it over the seat to get it out of the way when they were stealing the tape player. I can't imagine them not taking it, but they didn't. they must have not even looked in the case.

Troy
05-26-2004, 07:50 PM
No, that's NEVER happened to anybody else..... Ever... Ya, right.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ralph S.
05-26-2004, 08:33 PM
This actuallt happens more often that you realize. I have been playing on a table at times and the people on the table next to me grab one of my cues while i turn to light a smoke or am at the table shooting. This usually happens with the most novice of players as they dont know a thing about cues. I have actually had to argue with one person that claimed my cue wasn't mine, but the pool rooms cue. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Chris Cass
05-26-2004, 10:00 PM
One day I had this railbird watching me play some straight pool practice runs. Watched me for like 2 hrs then, I put my cue away in the case and asked if he'd watch it while I went to the washroom to wash my hands. I laid it on the very table he was sitting at.

Well, I come back and he's BSing at the counter like the other side of the room and walks out. I look and low and behold the case was still on the table but the table had 4 guys sitting there and playing darts. They didn't touch it but I never trusted nor talked to that jerk ever since. It's been 4 yrs now. The part that kills me he sat there and said he would.

Regards,

C.C.~~always takes his cue with to the washroom and leaves the case with only close friends.

Nostroke
05-26-2004, 10:45 PM
He may not be a jerk Chris, he may be half senile like me-Twice I have forgotten that i was "keeping an eye" on someone's cue. Luckily everything worked out ok but now when i tell them better get someone else to watch it if your gonna be more than 5 minutes, i dont make a lot of friends.

Chris Cass
05-27-2004, 05:06 AM
HAHAHAHA

Yep right again,

I actually have known this guy for quite a while. He's getting up there in age but doesn't forget, well, I take that back. He once said he'd drop me off some Schon tips and I'm still waiting. I found out he had gave them to someone else. LOL Sorry Rod.

I just could believe it. I laid the case down right next to him. I'm just glad he didn't take it with him thinking it was a gift. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C.

Rich R.
05-27-2004, 05:38 AM
One night, the cue of a teammate disappeared. After looking around the entire room, someone finally found someone playing with it on a nearby table. The guy also said, it was leaning against the wall and he thought it was a house cue. However, this cue was a moderately priced cue with veneered points and multiple inlays. I can't believe anyone could mistake it for a house cue.

ras314
05-27-2004, 03:09 PM
I had a brand new Predator sneaky peat walk off. Finally spotted a gal playing with it, watched awhile and since she wasn't banging it around I let her use it. Then when I got it back I found her idiot boyfriend had sanded the shaft with coarse sandpaper.

So now I watch cues closer, including taking them to the head. I've had one person appolgise, others were more or less a hassel. Like the fool who "just wanted to break with it" rather than use his $10 Budwiser piece of firewood.

Even had one stranger ask to use my cue. He had to ask because I was holding onto it and wouldn't let go, one of the new Japanese Balabuskas.

Ought to quit playing pool in bars.

Nostroke
05-27-2004, 04:17 PM
It has happened MANY times to me and most times i get like "is it really YOUR cue, like you paid for it dude"?

They think when i say sorry thats my cue man, they think im talking about for the moment- it's mine because im using it. They are mad that im considering it mine. Clueless indeed.

ashmouth
05-27-2004, 04:56 PM
thanks for sharing your horror stories concerning this issue... maybe a better question to pose to the forum would have been, "have you ever walked off with someone else's cue and what the hell were you thinking?"

Nostroke
05-27-2004, 05:13 PM
I think the answer just is they really are just clueless about serious pool.

The majority of people playing in poolrooms are not pool players, they are just bangers. They are there because their friends are and they dont care if they ever make a ball. They play "Stripes and Solids", have no ides about the rules-they think it's mostly luck and cheer when somone finally lucks the 8 in.

They don't think anyone takes the game seriously and it doesnt even enter their mind that someone might own their own cue. That's it IMHO

cycopath
05-27-2004, 06:32 PM
I was playing on a table beside these two guys, when they finally quit. They both walk off to return the balls and pay for table time and the one guy leaves his Meucci PP1 just sitting on the table still screwed together. I took it upon myself to watch the cue, but I was playing at the same time. Well I get up from a shot and a guy is rolling it on the table, expertly checking it for straightness and decides it's nice enough to play with, so he walks across the hall with it. I keep my eye on him and the guy playing for his time at the bar. The owner eventually walks back to find an empty table. He starts to freak out before I can explain what happened and pointed the guy out across the room. He retrieved his cue with no problem and thanked me whole-heartedly.

I thought he was an idiot for leaving it screwed together laying on an open table.
I think he learned his lesson.

/ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

kenz54
05-27-2004, 06:59 PM
I saw a guy leave his masters black chalk on a table once....I guarded it with my life until he came back for it! ***grin***