PDA

View Full Version : Women drivers.

Qtec
05-27-2004, 07:28 AM
Crash sparks Saudi driving debate
By Sebastian Usher
BBC world media correspondent

A woman has been killed while driving a car in the north of the desert kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
While this may not be an unusual occurrence anywhere else in the world, it is a real rarity in Saudi Arabia, since women are banned from driving there.

So rare is it, in fact, that one of the Arab world's leading newspapers, al-Quds al-Arabi, deemed it worthy of a headline on its front page just beneath the latest developments in Iraq.

The details of the story are banal enough, though tragic. Al-Quds al-Arabi reports that the woman was driving along a road in the Badia desert region last Sunday when her car had a collision with another vehicle.

The woman driver and her mother, who was in the car with her, were killed.

U-turn ahead?

Saudi Arabia has a high death rate on its roads, but accidents involving women drivers are all but unknown, for the simple reason that women are not allowed to drive.

This was originally an unofficial ban, but it became law after an incident in 1990, when 47 women from the Saudi intelligentsia challenged the authorities by taking their husbands' and brothers' cars out for a drive.

The backlash from the Saudi religious elite was swift. Many of the women lost their jobs or were harassed in other ways.

Recently, though, there have been moves to give Saudi women greater rights, prompting speculation that some women may be allowed driving licences in the near future.

Laws flouted

In any case, as al-Quds al-Arabi says in its reports, a number of Saudi women are already known to drive despite the ban.

In the remote region where this accident occurred, the paper says women drive on farms and in the desert, something that happens in other parts of the country too.

Several Saudi newspaper commentators have argued for an end to the ban, on the grounds that employing drivers to transport women everywhere is a drain on the economy.

In contrast, a recent column in the newspaper al-Watan actually blamed women for causing many traffic accidents, saying they interfere too much as backseat drivers.
/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Q

Cueless Joey
05-27-2004, 07:58 AM
It's good to know there are still cavemen this year 2004. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
05-27-2004, 08:02 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> It's good to know there are still cavemen this year 2004. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

welcome to the 8th century

nAz
05-27-2004, 08:25 AM
Does this mean that women can't drive any where? /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

PQQLK9
05-27-2004, 10:16 AM
I guess same sex marriage is out of the question.

Wally_in_Cincy
05-27-2004, 10:27 AM
I hear Arabs are notoriously bad drivers. I worked with a middle-aged Israeli guy and his legs were bent and he walked funny.

He told me Arabs drive without their headlights because they think it will make their battery last longer. He hit one almost head on while driving along the edge of the Dead Sea one night.

Ralph S.
05-27-2004, 01:30 PM
Oh this is so true. I too, worked with a bunch of Arabs. In a six month period we had four accidents at the intersection in front of the plant. All four involved Arabs, different person each time. Each time, the Arab was clearly at fault. One of the accident causers, was also a forklift driver in the plant and had numerous complaints against him. He was pulled from the forklift the next day after his accident in front of the plant.

striker_3
05-27-2004, 03:02 PM
In Kuwait, you see guys driving the wrong way down the highway all the time, two cars will stop side by side so the drivers can talk, and to top it off they are always walking their goats across the roads.

Chris Cass
05-27-2004, 03:18 PM
Woman aren't even allowed to persue an education. How rediculas is that country? Watching Judge Miliono the other day on the Peoples Court this guy stold his landlords Vcr or something and the guy wanted the landlord to swear on the Coran about the case. The guy expected to get everything for basically nothing because he was from the middleast. Geez, he actually thought he should get parking for free as part of his rent and thought the landlord will be cursed for dating an American woman and Allah will punish him in life with sickness and poverty.

I talked to a guy that went over there on assignment for the gov to work. He said that it's their belief that if they die for Allah they'd be paid with 40 women for their dieing. They think women are something like cattle.

Regards,

C.C.

wolfdancer
05-27-2004, 03:42 PM
Jeez, I hope so, but i'm not sure about my state...I still see them behind the wheel here