PDA

View Full Version : moori tip question

awhitney
05-27-2004, 10:42 AM
I am a long-time Moori tip user, but my husband and I recently got new Moori mediums on our cues and we're both finding that unless we scuff them every time we play, they don't hold chalk worth a crap. It's been a good 4 years or so since I last got a new Moori. (I stopped playing for a while) Have they changed? Am I doing something wrong? Does anyone have a suggestion for another good tip to try?

When it's freshly scuffed the tip hits beautifully, but the rest of the time it's a battle to keep from miscuing, and at $25 each I don't want to scuff it into oblivion in a matter of months.

Thanks.

Barbara
05-27-2004, 10:48 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote awhitney:</font><hr> I don't want to scuff it into oblivion in a matter of months.

Thanks. <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="red">B</font color>arbara <font color="red">T</font color>he <font color="red">T</font color>ip <font color="red">K</font color>iller here. I tip-pikked two Mooris to death in 9 months' time. No one will beat that record! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

But seriously. I have two new Moori Ms on my shafts and haven't had a chalk problem. Are you sure they're authentic Mooris?

Barbara

UWPoolGod
05-27-2004, 10:49 AM
I don't know where you are buying your Mooris, but I got mine on Ebay for $7.50 from Barringers. They are still on there for $10-12. But you just need to chalk every shot, I have always done that. I have noticed that they flatten out when they compress after shots. So I reshape them every few days. I have a few Moori III Quicks (Hard) that I haven't tried yet but will pretty soon.

stickman
05-27-2004, 10:50 AM
Yes Moori tips have changed. I'm very happy with either Talisman Pro mediums or the Talisman WB medium. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Some say they have delamination problems, but I don't experience any problems. The Everest is said to be very good, but I haven't tried one yet.

Jim

awhitney
05-27-2004, 10:53 AM
Thanks Barbara.

Maybe I just forgot how much care they required, glad to know I'm not the only one.

BTW, looking forward to seeing you at Comet in a couple weeks, it's been a while!

Abigail

Barbara
05-27-2004, 11:00 AM
ABBY!!!!!

Long time, no see, kiddo!!

See ya in a couple weeks!!

Barbara~~~will try and refrain from the "Abby someone, Abby-normal" line... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Troy
05-27-2004, 11:06 AM
And I thought you were a convert to Talisman tips... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Troy...~~~ Definitely a Talisman user
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr>
Barbara The Tip Killer here. I tip-pikked two Mooris to death in 9 months' time. No one will beat that record! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

But seriously. I have two new Moori Ms on my shafts and haven't had a chalk problem. Are you sure they're authentic Mooris?

Barbara <hr /></blockquote>

Barbara
05-27-2004, 11:25 AM
Troy,

I was a Talisman convert. But I stupidly waited until 4 pm on Sunday at the Super Billiards Expo to go searching for a couple of Talisman Pro Ms. Everyone was out. Even Ted Harris. So Ted gave me 3 Moori Ms in exchange for a bag of nuts for Mike Capone. I thought, what the heck, let's see how they play and this time I won't tip-pik them to a premature death.

One's a little harder than the other and they're definitely not as hard as the Talisman's were. I had had a problem trying to match the hardness in the Talismans and was driving My Cueman nuts.

Barbara

Predator314
05-27-2004, 11:49 AM
Yes, the Mooris changed not too long ago. I've been a Moori user for the past 2 or 3 years. I bought a new cue a couple months ago and it had a LePro tip from the factory. I cussed that tip so much. I finally got me a Moori Medium put 2 weeks ago and I love it. I get my tips cut down a little smaller than half the size they come. I hate a big tall tip. I can miscue with it, but it takes some effort. As for holding chalk, I've never had a problem with that. I'm not one to do a lot of scuffing or picking on my tips (I don't think you should use a Tip-Pik on a Moori anyway). The only tip maintenance I do is to trim it if it mushrooms a bit.

One thing to watch out for is immitation Moori's. A lot of people are selling "Moori's" that are not genuine Moori's.

My next tip will be a Moori Hard/Quick tip. I shot with one of those the other day and it was great!

Troy
05-27-2004, 01:45 PM
Snooze you lose, eh Barbara... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> Troy,

I was a Talisman convert. But I stupidly waited until 4 pm on Sunday at the Super Billiards Expo to go searching for a couple of Talisman Pro Ms. Everyone was out. Even Ted Harris. So Ted gave me 3 Moori Ms in exchange for a bag of nuts for Mike Capone. I thought, what the heck, let's see how they play and this time I won't tip-pik them to a premature death.

One's a little harder than the other and they're definitely not as hard as the Talisman's were. I had had a problem trying to match the hardness in the Talismans and was driving My Cueman nuts.

Barbara <hr /></blockquote>

Chris Cass
05-27-2004, 03:01 PM
Hi Abby,

I don't know anyone who has had a tip on for 4 yrs. Wow, that's a record. Anyway, maybe they're too old? I can see 2 yrs but there must come a time when the tip is too old and needs replacing?

Regards,

C.C.~~hahaha Barbara thinks she still holds the tip monger status. LOL She's not even close to me. hahahahha Gotta luv her. Her tip man is very lucky to have her for a headache. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

awhitney
05-27-2004, 03:30 PM
No, this is a new Moori (supposed to be a Moori, anyway - still evaluating the knockoff possibility that someone suggested.) I meant that the last new Moori I got (before this one) was 4 or 5 years ago, and I never had this problem before. Sorry I wasn't so clear.

I am convinced that perhaps I was given a hard tip instead of a medium (I didn't see it prior to it being put on), or I just got a dud. Anyway, I appreciate the input I've gotten, and maybe I'll try one of the other tip brands that were suggested.

Abigail

UTAddb
05-28-2004, 10:26 AM
On my talismans I never have to shape them, and scuff it maybe once or twice in its lifetime. I was having delamination problems with the tali's but ever since I stopped breaking with them they stopped delaminating.

tateuts
05-28-2004, 12:02 PM
The new Moori Medium (M III) is actually the same as the old Medium hard. Some hold chalk better than others I guess, but mine doesn't hold chalk well at all either. I use a tip pik on mine every time I play and every half hour or so while I'm playing. I just lightly press the tip with the pik. I actually haven't noticed it wearing down much. It helps a lot if the tip is properly shaped too.

I think the tip is great but it does require more maintainence than softer tips.

Chris

buddha162
05-28-2004, 02:19 PM
I've been using Moori Quicks (Hards) for over a year now, and they do indeed have a problem holding chalk. I have theories on why that is, mainly that it relates to the quality of the leather used (Moori uses good leather), and the tightness of the grains etc.

In any case, my solution is this: Every half an hour or so, I do a "special" chalking on my tip.

I rest the cue on its bumper, and hold a piece of chalk against the outer edge of the tip, at around a 45 degree angle. Then I turn the cue clockwise or counterclockwise while holding the chalk in place, hence GRINDING chalk into the edges of the crown (not the sidewall). I don't use a lot of pressure at all. It's the rotating action that's key.

After this treatment, the tip should hold chalk much better for at least half an hour if not longer. I chalk carefully after every shot with the cue-tip at eye-level anyway.

Give it a try. I would never tip-pick a layered tip.

-Roger

Jay M
05-29-2004, 07:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> Hi Abby,

I don't know anyone who has had a tip on for 4 yrs. Wow, that's a record. Anyway, maybe they're too old? I can see 2 yrs but there must come a time when the tip is too old and needs replacing?<hr /></blockquote>

Chris,
The LePro on my breaking cue has been there for 7 years now. The cue has actually been broken once, repaired and the same tip is still there...lol I never shape it or pick it and it works just fine. It's also as hard as a rock so it jumps really well. The Mooris (MH) on my playing shafts have been there since just before the 2001 Open. They still hit just as well as they did when they were first installed. One of them delaminated a couple of layers down from the top in '03 so it was reshaped and is probably going to be the first one to be replaced, but the other (which happens to be on my primary shaft) has never been shaped or picked aside from a light tapping around the edges and it still plays perfectly fine.

Jay M

Harpz
11-15-2004, 07:56 PM
Well i'm another le pro user that has had the same tip on my cue for over 8 years. Play at least 3 times a week, i actually took a bit of sandpaper to it a year ago to ruff it up a little.......like they say if it ain't broke don't fix it.But to each their own too.......i just hope people don't think this is the magic tip that will cure their game, like maybe the magic new cue or that magic new shaft.