PDA

View Full Version : Photos of Antique Pool Balls

qstroker2004
05-28-2004, 12:19 AM
Howdy. I post on RSB normally and thought I'd jump into this group and see what's going on. I recently bought an old set of balls and am trying to find out whatever I can about them. I thought people here might be interested in them, too. So far it seems they are pre 1920's with scrimshawed numbers. It isn't clear what they are made of yet. Any comment on the chalk, wooden tray or chalks is appreciated. There is also a wooden rack, not pictured.

Go to this link and click on the 1 ball:
http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/qstroker2004

Regards.
dwhite

Popcorn
05-28-2004, 12:45 AM
From the 7 ball they look like clay. You never know what they are worth, I sold a set of clay balls on ebay that brought $610. I would have taken $75.00. I had that same model Balabushka, but mine had maroon colored rings. I foolishly sold it to a well known collector a few years ago. Oh well, he gave me very good money for it at the time.

Ken
05-28-2004, 08:55 AM
Dan.
If you're coming to CT on the 5th for the tournament you might want to go up to Pool Table Magic and see Mark. He has quite a few old balls there and should have no trouble telling you all about yours.

I'm looking forward to playing with your Bushka again. I want to see how it works as a break cue.
Ken in CT

qstroker2004
05-28-2004, 03:53 PM
I'm getting valuations all over the place on the balls. I'm just trying to find out a little more about them. I have gotten some good suggestions.

What kind of forearm did your bushka have? There were no inlays in the forearm, yet you had the same inlay design as mine in the butt? I bet it looked nice with the maroon rings, too.

thanks,
dwhite

qstroker2004
05-28-2004, 03:56 PM
Yes, I'll be there. Maybe Joe can post the pics for Mark to look at. Regarding the bushka...dream on man!

dwhite

cueball1950
05-28-2004, 09:33 PM
The best person on here for that type of info would be ####leonard. those balls look like a set another friend of mine has that were made here in Albany Ny.. We used to have a company here called Albany Billiard Ball Co. They went out of business long ago, but those balls look just like the ones that came from there long ago.Send #####leonard a PM message thru this board and tell him i said for you to contact him and if he is able to he would probably in all likely hood have some type of info for you.........mike

Popcorn
05-28-2004, 10:00 PM
It had a MOP diamond and a few of dots in each the point. I came close to losing that cue by the way, it was almost stolen by Greg Hatch, (he was a real piece of dirt). I caught him with the cue and got it back. That was a popular cue model, Crane had one and so did Weenie Beanie. The one I had I think I bought from Cannonball Eddie. I saw a lot of them back then.

qstroker2004
05-29-2004, 01:00 PM
That sounds like mine. It has 3 dots and a diamond in each point circa 1965 titlist. I didn't know that was a popular model...mine is the only one I've see with that design.

dwhite

qstroker2004
05-29-2004, 01:02 PM
OK I'll do that. Someone thinks they found the same balls on pg 91 of Stellinga's book. I don't have the book to see, but I'll PM ####Leonard (strange username!)...

thanks,
dwhite

Frank_Glenn
05-29-2004, 01:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
####Leonard (strange username!)...<hr /></blockquote>

A long time ago the morality police banned certain words. The letters were replaced with #'s. At least that was how it was explained to me.

Wally_in_Cincy
06-01-2004, 06:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Frank_Glenn:</font><hr> &lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;
####Leonard (strange username!)...<hr /></blockquote>

A long time ago the morality police banned certain words. The letters were replaced with #'s. At least that was how it was explained to me. <hr /></blockquote>

Yep. Dick Leonard became #### Leonard and he liked it so much he kept it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

dr_billiards
06-01-2004, 07:08 AM
http://users.adelphia.net/~manager102/8ball_background.sized.jpg