PDA

View Full Version : Superstroke?

9ballforever
05-28-2004, 05:54 AM
We have a person around our town that came here recently from California (originally from Belleville, Ontario Canada). His name is Bruce Christopher, age approx 50.
He is making many claims. To mention a few, invented 9-ball, in the Guiness book of records (having made the most # balls in 20 some hours - 5500 or so). Claims to have made a vast amount of money and recently made $750,000. Just trying to confirm some of these claims. He is posting newspaper articles, religious related pool postings and is somewhat impressed with himself.

He will not challenge any of our local players (semi & pro players). He says, why would I play you for $20 bucks when I can play the best players for many thousands. He will not play any of our tournaments and is just talk so far. We like to give all persons the benefit of doubt, for now if he has a game we have not seen it.

We have watched him instruct, hit a few balls and even got a local cable company to do a special where he was somewhat less than impressive.

Has anyone heard of this guy?

Thanks

dontfartnearfire
05-28-2004, 06:10 AM
Uhhh, I wouldn't play him. Anybody that can invent a game 25 years before he was born must be pretty good. Nine ball dates back to the 30's at least, although it wasn't very popular back then. Could be a distant cousin of Fast Larry.

Barbara
05-28-2004, 07:15 AM
I remember seeing ads on this guy in pool magazines about 10 years ago advertising for opponents for a million dollar match. He was pictured holding a kid, too. The ads read something like, "I will play anyone for $1,000,000."

Bizarre.

Barbara

Popcorn
05-28-2004, 08:31 AM
He has been doing that same act for like 25 years. I have never really heard anything bad about him and I don't think he is nuts, just a showman. The last I had heard about him, he was an evangelist and making loads of dough. I am not going to say he can't play, obviously he can play some. But very far from any kind of champion. Honest to God, I have never known anyone who actually gambled with him. Where are all these people he is supposed to have beaten for all that money? He once wrote a book called, "The GodPlayer". I don't know where you could get a copy though.

Cueless Joey
05-28-2004, 09:20 AM
I think he is full of kaka.
He used to live here and was advertising on BD mag about his challenge.
He was just high-rolling everyone so he never matched up as far as I know.
Scott knows more about this guy.
Let's say Efren's backers took up the bet, how much weight would he want?
He reminds me of Kaizer Soze.

Scott Lee
05-28-2004, 11:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> I think he is full of kaka.
He used to live here and was advertising on BD mag about his challenge.
He was just high-rolling everyone so he never matched up as far as I know.
Scott knows more about this guy.
Let's say Efren's backers took up the bet, how much weight would he want?
He reminds me of Kaizer Soze. <hr /></blockquote>

Yep, I do know this character! Bruce Christopher is totally full of bull. He advertised in BD for years, offering to play anyone for $1 million. When somebody finally posted the dough, wanting to play, he upped the ante to $1,500,000 (go figure! guess he didn't want to play THAT bad)! LOL Although not a total nit, Bruce can play no better than a decent shortstop at best...and that was nearly 20 years ago. It's been many years since he ran those ads in BD...but they ran every month for at least 3-4 years, as I recall. Just another guy really full of himself...except he can't back it up.

Scott Lee

RedHell
05-28-2004, 12:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
To mention a few, invented 9-ball, in the Guiness book of records (having made the most # balls in 20 some hours - 5500 or so). <hr /></blockquote>

If you want to chanlege him talk to him about Nick Nikolaidis, he's the current record holder for most balls in 24hours.

Nick broke 3 Guinness records in 24 hours:

Following from www.poolproplus.com (http://www.poolproplus.com)

In August 2001 Nick put the world on notice that he is a force to be reckoned with by breaking 3 world records in 24 hours:

Most balls pocketed (16723 balls) in 24 hours where the 8 ball is pocketed last set by Dave Pearson in 1996 (16499 balls).

Most balls pocketed (16723 balls) in 24 hours set by Paul Sullivan in 1998 (16511 balls)

Fastest 2 consecutive games (1 minute 33 seconds) where the 8 ball is pocketed last set by Dave Pearson in 2001 (1 minute 36 seconds

SpiderMan
05-28-2004, 02:51 PM
Is the the same guy who posts as "superstroke" on this board?

SpiderMan

Bob_Jewett
05-28-2004, 07:17 PM
I met Bruce in 1976 at one of the Asbury Park 14.1 tournaments. Seemed like a nice enough guy in person, and in the company of Hopkins, Crane, Mizerak, etc., he didn't claim to be the best in the world (and I think he wasn't entered in the tournament).

I think he was on TV once with Wanderone, and Fats bar-b-qued him, and this at a time when the retired Mosconi was beating Fats like a rented mule. I believe this puts Bruce roughly even with Joe Mooch, or at least that's where he was in the '80s. Of course he could have improved, or maybe he was lemonading.

Popcorn
05-28-2004, 10:13 PM
I saw him just a few years ago at the BCA show, he had a booth. He wasn't selling anything, just standing around signing autographs and having his picture taken. He is a nice enough guy, he was there with I guess it was his wife and kid. He is like some kind of impostor or something. He is oblivious to anything anyone says to him regarding playing, not that anyone really would ask him to play, he's harmless.

9ballforever
05-29-2004, 05:51 AM
Thanks for the feedback.......keep them coming.

Has anyone ever seen him play? Bought anything off of him? Seen him win big money? hear of him winning big money? /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

nhp
05-30-2004, 05:50 AM
I've known a few people like that guy in the past. This one guy whom I havent seen in a few years used to talk up a storm. At that time a few years ago, he played no better than I did, which wasn't much, but he thought for some reason he was one of the best players in the world. He said one time over a span of a week, he beat Efren Reyes, Jose Parica, Buddy Hall, and a few other champions out of a few thousand each, playing them even. The guy never played any better than a "B" rating. He always blamed missing a shot or missing position on his eyesight, but anyone could easily tell he had no stroke. If he wanted to draw the cueball back a foot, he'd just slam into it. You can easily tell a good player, by watching their stroke. Good players finesse the ball everywhere. Bad players bang balls around and think they are cool when they run 3 or 4 balls every once in a while. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9ballforever
05-30-2004, 01:42 PM
Thank you for your continued comments.

You have confirmed what we were thinking all along.

Keep them coming.
/ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

superstroke
05-31-2004, 12:05 AM
Nope

superstroke
05-31-2004, 01:59 AM
I don't know about a million but twenty a set is more my speed.:)