PDA

View Full Version : The NY Minute!

CarolNYC
05-28-2004, 07:14 AM
Lately, I've been seeing this commercial and hearing this phrase, not caring of its meaning,WELL,I had to cash a check and standing next to me at the counter was a young hispanic guy who apparently had tried to Western Union money to his family in Honduras,but the last name of the receiver was incorrect,he tried calling the 800 number,(I could understand bits and pieces)and was asking the lady for help-she says real nasty"I can't do it-you have to do it"I step out of line, walk up to him,ask him if he speaks English,he says "No", ask him if he understands English ,he says "yes"I tell him I'll help him and I look at the lady with a look that could kill, and I tell her"Gimme that number!"
Here comes your NY minute:
I dial,get a representative,explain the situation,give the MTCN number,have the receivers last name changed,she says "how kind of you to help him" and I say "how kind of you to let me help him" hang my phone up and tell the guy phone his family and get the money-his eyes swell with tears and he hugs me!
I cash my check and say to the lady "All it was, was a phone call and A MINUTE!"
I hope to God, thats what the NY minute means!
Carol~to help someone in a minute! /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Barbara
05-28-2004, 07:34 AM
Carol,

You're a great person!

Barbara

PQQLK9
05-28-2004, 07:39 AM
Why am I not surprised?
You are the best and then some.:D

catscradle
05-28-2004, 08:28 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr> Lately, I've been seeing this commercial and hearing this phrase, not caring of its meaning,WELL,I had to cash a check and standing next to me at the counter was a young hispanic guy who apparently had tried to Western Union money to his family in Honduras,but the last name of the receiver was incorrect,he tried calling the 800 number,(I could understand bits and pieces)and was asking the lady for help-she says real nasty"I can't do it-you have to do it"I step out of line, walk up to him,ask him if he speaks English,he says "No", ask him if he understands English ,he says "yes"I tell him I'll help him and I look at the lady with a look that could kill, and I tell her"Gimme that number!"
Here comes your NY minute:
I dial,get a representative,explain the situation,give the MTCN number,have the receivers last name changed,she says "how kind of you to help him" and I say "how kind of you to let me help him" hang my phone up and tell the guy phone his family and get the money-his eyes swell with tears and he hugs me!
I cash my check and say to the lady "All it was, was a phone call and A MINUTE!"
I hope to God, thats what the NY minute means!
Carol~to help someone in a minute! /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Some people have a bigger heart than other people, you apparently are one of the ones with a bigger heart. It's a hard world and harder in NYC, that you could maintain the milk of human kindness is nice to hear. It would never have occured to me to help out which only makes me more appreciative of your action. Be proud, you deserve it.

CarolNYC
05-28-2004, 08:32 AM
Thanks,
But like you said, "human kindness"we need more of that in this world! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Take care!
Carol

CarolNYC
05-28-2004, 08:36 AM
Nick,
Puhlease,
Coming fron the man, whos eyes overwhelm me with peace and kindness-give me a break-if everyone took just "One Minute" ya know-my goodness, it takes some people 15 minutes to shoot a ball,ha ha ha
Take care,Nick!
Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CarolNYC
05-28-2004, 08:39 AM
Yeah,yeah,Barb,Im sure many of us would have done the same-its just some people really stink,ya know?
See ya next week!
Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

nAz
05-28-2004, 09:04 AM
I am not surprised at all by your kindness. that is really cool of you to do that for the guy.i think most people would have just ignored the situation and walked a way. have to start calling you "Big heart Carol" for now on.

9 Ball Girl
05-28-2004, 11:34 AM
I wouldn't expect anything less from you. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

wolfdancer
05-28-2004, 12:18 PM
Carol, you trying to give NY'rs a bad name? We expect them to be crude and rude, and now this......we won't know what to expect when we visit.
Can you help me wire funds to my family?...I ain't got no funds to wire, but I'm thinking you're on a good samaritan roll,and....

cueball1950
05-28-2004, 09:53 PM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif It is a small wonder why so many people love you. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif You are 1 of if not the most loving caring person i have ever met. Always ready to help thy fellow man is what this world needs moe of. keep up the good work. All it takes is 1 person to start the change this world needs so badly. I am PROUD to call you "FRIEND"......mike

CarolNYC
05-29-2004, 02:43 AM
Mike,Mike,Mike,
I am proud of you for quitting smoking-how is that going?
In elementary school (mostly girls) would write notes and at the end would put letters-well, one of them was "FFFF" which meant "Friends Forever,Forever,Friends" so, to you:

FFFF
Hope to see you soon!

Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CarolNYC
05-29-2004, 02:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
crude and rude <hr /></blockquote>
Wolfdancer,
You have me cracking up-if you had seen my body language to the lady behind the counter, you would have been like, "Whoa!" ha ha ha ha
Frowned forehead,finger-pointing and demanding tone of voice-definitely NOT smiling and asking politely, but she deserved it!
I walked away shaking my head pathetically-she knew what I meant-maybe she'll take that "minute" next time!
Are you serious about that family matter?
Carol~wondering.............

CarolNYC
05-29-2004, 02:58 AM
You either! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Carol

CarolNYC
05-29-2004, 03:03 AM
Naz,
Your gonna get sick when I tell you the amount of money:

58 dollars

I think it costs like 20 bucks, to send Western Union-58 dollars doesnt even give me a tank of gas!
Thanks for letting me vent-this incident just really pissed me off and I think I'll always remember the receivers name:
Magdelena
Carol~unbelievable!

9 Ball Girl
05-29-2004, 05:55 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr> I think I'll always remember the receivers name:
Magdelena
Carol~unbelievable! <hr /></blockquote>Magdelena? Sounds Hispanic which means that she could've spoken to him in Spanish which would make sense because he didn't speak English.

Barbara
05-29-2004, 07:39 AM
Carol,

He just got a "package" from me, so he's good to go, if ya know what I mean!!

Barbara

BLACKHEART
05-29-2004, 07:57 AM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gifI love the "GIMME THAT NUMBER" part...JER

Barbara
05-29-2004, 08:00 AM
Jer,

You couldn't have chosen a better representative for your cues and I can't wait to see them at Comet Billiards next weekend.

Barbara

BLACKHEART
05-29-2004, 09:50 AM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gifI don't know about that Barb. I heard that the guy she helped, was sending money home, that he made in a huge drug deal. In fact he is the biggest dealer on the east coast. I've heard that his newest NY friend is being investigated &amp; that she may have to sell everything to make bail......So how's that for a kind deed?. HAHAHAHA...JER(WHAT AN IMAGINATION)

CarolNYC
05-29-2004, 10:28 AM
Ha Ha HA,
Thats because you know what my voice sounds like,ha ha ha-but its only effective ,with the "finger-pointing"ha ha ha ha
love ya Jer!
Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CarolNYC
05-29-2004, 10:31 AM
Im LMAO-Ha hA HA
Oh yeah, that 58 dollars didnt even cover the vig!
Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

CarolNYC
05-29-2004, 10:32 AM
Who's better than you,Barb!
Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

CarolNYC
05-29-2004, 10:34 AM
Wendy,
Magdelena was the "receiver" of the Western Union money in Honduras-I didnt want to post the last name! Coulda been wife,sister,whatever-it didnt matter-he needed help!You know what I mean? /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Carol

wolfdancer
05-29-2004, 11:04 AM
Carol, I was kidding about the $$... While I grew up in WNY, it was always an adventure, when I visited NYC. Personal tour guides should be mandatory for first time visitors...Gee, when you go to prison, they don't just put you out with the general population,without some orientation.
I just recently moved up here to Washington state, small town about 30 miles north of Portland, Or...I'm having to learn new social skills...clerks and waitpersons actually smile and say hello..it's considered declasse, to flip someone off for some traffic transgression...instead they wave...and it's a custom here to take home made cupcakes to share, to the local H.S.....( they take things to share back in the NYC H.S.'s ?)
Kidding aside, it was nice of you to step in, and help out in that situation.....and I've decided to name you, BD'r "citizen, poster of the week"...have a nice Memorial Holiday Weekend

wolfdancer
05-29-2004, 11:24 AM
Now I'm thinking that you and Carol are going to give pool a bad name...you're both too nice for the sport. It's bad enough the game has moved from pool rooms,dimly lit, in unsanitary, unsafe, buildings that might otherwise be condemmed...to the modern..art-infested,french cousine, karaoke,...family recreation centers
....and now the players are ....NICE....????
What happenned to the "whying and the crying, the shooting and the dying, and the fellow with the switchbalde knife?"
You can go months now without seeing a shooting, stabbing, or even a cue broken over someone's head.....and you two, ain't helping out witch yer nice, nice routine

CarolNYC
05-30-2004, 01:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Personal tour guides should be mandatory for first time visitors <hr /></blockquote>
I agree-its pretty tough if you don't know your way!

[ QUOTE ]
Washington state <hr /></blockquote>
Sounds like you live in a lovely area-I have an Aunt in Washington State-your talking Redwood Forests and all that kind of beautiful stuff,right?
Thats a very nice change-good for you!

[ QUOTE ]
they take things to share back in the NYC H.S.'s ?)
<hr /></blockquote>
No, they just "take things!" /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

You have yourself a very nice Memorial weekend!
Carol~glad your family is okay!!!!!!!!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

bluewolf
05-30-2004, 06:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr>I just recently moved up here to Washington state, small town about 30 miles north of Portland, Or...I'm having to learn new social skills...clerks and waitpersons actually smile and say hello..it's considered declasse, to flip someone off for some traffic transgression...instead they wave.. <hr /></blockquote>

Same thing in DC and DC suburbs. Rare to find someone who takes that extra time. It is amazing though how little you have to move out to get that small town feeling. We just moved 15 minutes north of all that and it is amazing. The neighbors actually help each other. We are living on a rural one acre between two towns, one has a bakery and the other has a seafood restaurant. HAHA

Laura

#### leonard
05-31-2004, 01:18 PM
Carol, Magdelena that sounds like a song, I will try writing the words maybe Billy Joel will do the music, wait Neil Diamond has a pool/bowling background I will give him a try.####

CarolNYC
06-01-2004, 04:38 AM
Oh no-
"Magdelena" does sound like a song,but, I think, it would be a sad song,something like Claptons, "Would you know my name, if I saw you in heaven!"
Stay well,####Leonard!
Carol