PDA

View Full Version : Reuters out of touch

eg8r
05-28-2004, 09:15 AM
Today I was reading an email from the Opinion Journal from the Wall Street Journal and I came across something pretty darned funny. I usually skip over anything in the news about gay and lesbians because frankly I just don't care (if these people are just like everyone else, which I believe they are, why do they have to keep labeling themselves. Heterosexuals do not need to do this, so why do gays?). Well today I decided to read what the Op. Journal had to say about homosexuals reproducing. In their report, it appears that according to the 2000 Census, homosexual couples spend around 141,000 per year on their kids. Sounds amazing to me. Here is their article (incl. quote from Fox News Report), I am sure they must be missing something... [ QUOTE ]
From a Fox News report on gay parents:

The 2000 U.S. Census found that there were nearly 600,000 same-sex couples living in this country. One-third of lesbian households (96,000) have children, and one-fifth of gay male households (60,000) have kids, according to the Census. . . .

According to Witeck Combs Communications and MarketResearch.com, gay and lesbian parents spent $22 billion on their kids in 2002; that number was expected to go up to $28 billion by the end of this year, according to Witeck Combs.

If 156,000 households (96,000 lesbian and 60,000 gay male ones) are spending $22 billion on their kids, that comes out to a whopping $141,000 a household. Not that we had a deprived upbringing, but this makes us a little envious. Imagine the luxurious childhood we would have enjoyed if only our parents had been gay.

<font color="blue">Meanwhile, Reuters (http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=ourWorldNews&amp;storyID=525045 0&amp;pageNumber=0) reports: "Using artificial insemination to get pregnant, lesbians are four times more likely to have children than gay men." Four times? That actually sounds low to us. </font color> <hr /></blockquote> What I find hilarious in the article is the blue section. I wonder just how many gay male couples Reuters has found in which one of the gay males was artificially inseminated and actually produced a child. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif What were they thinking?

eg8r