PDA

View Full Version : Straight pool shot

Wally_in_Cincy
05-28-2004, 11:48 AM
I'm getting a little better at picking shots out of the stack. I got 3 pretty good ones Monday.

This one worked well. The red balls are frozen. The yellow ball throws the red balls toward the 8 and pockets the 8 in the corner.

http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/pooltable2.html

START(
%AJ8R8%BL7P8%CH2T3%DM7M1%EM7P1%FJ8O6%GK7N1%HF3V0%I L7O4%JN8N6
%KI5T0%LJ4M7%MG5M9%NJ2P4%OL1K5%PT4S2%UD1Z5%VE8V9%]L5S0%^R9S4
)END

dmgwalsh
05-28-2004, 12:30 PM
Nice one. I'm sure I wouldn't have seen it, but maybe now I will know to look for it. I may try setting something like that up tonight. Dennis

Ralph S.
05-28-2004, 12:49 PM
Good eye and nice shot Wally. If this is the way the rack was laid out, check out the 10-4-15 to opposite corner.

ElephantPoker
05-28-2004, 02:00 PM
Every blind squirrel find a nut once in a while.

daviddjmp
05-28-2004, 02:51 PM
Nice job, Wally-

Looking for and finding those types of shots in the pack and out of it are one of the techniques that can really improve your straight pool game. With any cluster, I try to inspect every kiss, carom, throw, combination and combination of all of them to try to continue the run.

qstroker2004
05-28-2004, 04:13 PM
Good shot, but you do have to assess your opponent's ability before attempting shots like that! The more balls he's capable of running, the fewer risks you want to take.

dwhite

Wally_in_Cincy
05-29-2004, 07:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ElephantPoker:</font><hr> Every blind squirrel find a nut once in a while. <hr /></blockquote>

No, actually there was very little luck involved. I knew exactly what I was doing. But thank you for your kind words of encouragement.

Wanna play some?

Wally_in_Cincy
05-29-2004, 07:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ralph S.:</font><hr> Good eye and nice shot Wally. If this is the way the rack was laid out, check out the 10-4-15 to opposite corner. <hr /></blockquote>

The layout shown is not exactly correct. That combo wasn't there. IIRC the shot I made was the only shot available.

Wally_in_Cincy
05-29-2004, 07:54 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote daviddjmp:</font><hr> Nice job, Wally-

Looking for and finding those types of shots in the pack and out of it are one of the techniques that can really improve your straight pool game. With any cluster, I try to inspect every kiss, carom, throw, combination and combination of all of them to try to continue the run. <hr /></blockquote>

Yeah. It took me a while to learn this. After watching some veteran players finding 3 or 4 of these type shots every match I became more diligent about inspecting the stack before shooting.

The good thing about these shots is if you can find a dead one you can really spread the balls.

Wally_in_Cincy
05-29-2004, 07:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote qstroker2004:</font><hr> Good shot, but you do have to assess your opponent's ability before attempting shots like that! The more balls he's capable of running, the fewer risks you want to take.

dwhite <hr /></blockquote>

Yeah I know what you are saying. But if my opponent is capable of running a lot of balls I'm dead meat anyway /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Popcorn
05-29-2004, 10:40 AM

"The good thing about these shots is if you can find a dead one you can really spread the balls."

That is true, but before you shoot be sure to try to figure where the balls will end up after the shot as well as the cue ball. Don't just hit the shot wildly because it seems like a free shot. Dead balls often require a harder hit then if you are just brushing the cluster apart. Balls can end up on rails and tied up with other balls. It only takes one problem in a rack you can't solve to end a run. All guys who run a lot of balls with any consistency have one thing in common, they don't create more problems with the rack then is already there. Guys who don't run balls do, they go from crises to crises till one becomes terminal. You are not playing on the deck of a rolling ship, nothing moves till you move it and whatever happens was you own doing once you are at the table. Just something to think about.
Let me add, when you spot a dead ball, you don't necessarily have to shoot it. You may never shoot it and instead spread the cluster a different way or you may want to get position on it (the dead ball) so you can go into the cluster in the most advantageous way. The slightest change in angle could make all the difference as to how the balls open or where you get with the cueball.

Wally_in_Cincy
05-29-2004, 10:59 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr>

....Guys who don't run balls do, they go from crises to crises till one becomes terminal....<hr /></blockquote>

I resemble that remark /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks man, that is all good advice. I'm gonna print it for future reference.

Let me ask you this. Have you ever acted like you were trying to get position on a combo or carom even though you knew it would not go in order to sucker your opponent into shooting it and spreading the balls for you? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

That move might not work with a good player I guess.

UTAddb
05-29-2004, 11:12 AM
Good shot. I shot this one which looked pretty cool and it was kind of hard to believe that ball would go in. You carom off of the 15 clearing the 4 out of the way and the CB goes into the 9 ball which caroms off of the 7 dead into the corner pocket.
wei (http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/pooltable2.html)
START(
%BL5Q3%CI5O0%DK9M8%EM7Q6%FK5Q2%GK1O8%HM5N2%IL7O4%L L8]8%ON4N7
%PX4Q7%WC2C7%XL6O2%bM8O9%cO3O5%dX1Q9
)END

Wally_in_Cincy
05-29-2004, 11:20 AM
dude that's like a trickshot /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

you could call it the "parting of the red sea" but mike massey already has one named that /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BCgirl
05-29-2004, 12:19 PM
It's a pity I don't get to play too much straight pool any more. I never really had the patience, but the scope for unusual shots was awesome. One of my favourites came after being forced to sit and watch my opponent leave me trailing by 50 or so, then leaving me frozen to the rail, something like this /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif. I'd like to say that I made the shot and ran a bunch of racks to win, but despite some temporary satisfaction, I still lost very very badly, hmmph /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif.

BCgirl

START(
%BL5Q3%CC8S2%DD9R5%EM4P2%FK5Q2%GK1O8%HP8K0%II5O3%L L8]8%OC8U0
%Pr6W7%U`4L6%VN8D0%WG0R7%Xq3W5%YC9Z8%ZC8V2%[D1P0%\E6Q7%]M7D7
%^C8N8
)END

Popcorn
05-29-2004, 12:35 PM
Maybe in safety play, you might look at a combo that may or may not go. You want your opponent to just have one more thing to worry about when he has to play the safe back. Some can be very close and may need to be thrown a little to go. He doesn't know what you may try and can't be sure himself if it will go or not, so he has to protect against no matter what, he can't take the chance. I can tell you, I have left plenty of balls I thought would not go, only to have the guy try it. You know the rest, naturally it split the pocket. But when you are at the table running balls your opponent is inconsequential. I remember seeing a TV match with Lassiter and he banked a ball. The idiot commentator said he may have done it to physic out his opponent. In straight pool you don't need to physic out your opponent, you just need to stay at the table.

Popcorn
05-29-2004, 05:45 PM
Whether you shoot a dead ball or not has nothing to do with how your opponent plays. It will either go or it won't, you don't shoot it and hope. Risk and reward is defiantly a part of the game. A player that can run balls will often take small risks, because the rewards can be very big. You yourself if you are the lesser player, may have to take a chance or two to beat a better player. Tit-for-tat almost always goes to the better player, especially in games like one pocket and straight pool. You don't want to be stupid, but sometimes you have to throw caution to the wind a little.

Chris Cass
05-29-2004, 06:05 PM
Hi Popcorn,

I totally agree. If I'm three racks up and need a hand full of balls. If my opponent is not up to the challenge I'll even slam the rack open to force him to run or give it up. Some players I won't do that with too. LOL Just sometimes the odds are with you.

Regards,

C.C.

qstroker2004
05-29-2004, 09:33 PM
Whether you shoot a dead ball or not has nothing to do with how your opponent plays. It will either go or it won't, you don't shoot it and hope.

Yes, but knowing whether or not it is a dead shot is the trick. You just said in another post that you left shots for your opponent that you didn't think went, and then they shot them straight in. I'm just saying that you want to take fewer chances if you have a good opponent. If I'm not really sure of the shot, and the opponent can run out if I miss, then I should look for other ways to continue.

dwhite

ElephantPoker
05-30-2004, 04:33 PM
If your high run is only 34...Sure.

Wally_in_Cincy
06-01-2004, 06:38 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ElephantPoker:</font><hr> If your high run is only 34...Sure. <hr /></blockquote>

Yeah, unlike some I don't lie about my speed.

I'll tell you something, I was trying to stimulate some conversation about my favorite pool game and you bring this to the table....

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ElephantPoker:</font><hr> Every blind squirrel find a nut once in a while. <hr /></blockquote>

You have a lot of class. Congratulations. You know where to find me.

dmgwalsh
06-01-2004, 09:10 AM
nice post and nice discussion, for the most part. I've only run , I forget 27, 28 or 29, so I guess maybe I'm not qualified to speak, either, but there's a lot of good stuff here that may help me get over the hump. D

ElephantPoker
06-01-2004, 07:35 PM
Let me give you some advice. Take two weeks off, then quit.
F.L. Ha Ha Ha

Williebetmore
06-01-2004, 08:04 PM
Good shot Wally. I would say that it is extremely important to know as much about these shots as possible. It is not just the dead ones we need to pick out, we must also know which ones can be thrown in with what speed. I'm lucky enough to be able to play 14.1 with 2 of the local pro's. We never play to 150 without multiple combo's, caroms, and throw shots. Of course, I may not be enough competition to make them think twice about the consequences of missing, but most of the Accustats videos on straight pool have plenty of these shots. There are no great straight pool players that are not expert at these. I wonder how the 9 ball players learn them??

Let me know how you do in the league this year (I play in the Indy straight pool league each winter). Look me up if you are ever in Indy (nice home pool room - free pool and drinks).