PDA

View Full Version : If this is not a miracle, I dunno what is.

Cueless Joey
05-28-2004, 11:53 AM
Boy starts breathing as he's prepared for funeral
Toddler had been pronounced dead after drowningThe Associated Press
Updated: 1:53 p.m. ET May 28, 2004BOISE, Idaho - A hospital worker preparing a 22-month-old for a funeral home noticed the boy was breathing — more than an hour after he had been pronounced dead from drowning.

advertisement

Logan Pinto apparently wandered away from his baby sitter Thursday and fell into a canal near his home in Rexburg, about 275 miles east of Boise. He was submerged for nearly 30 minutes before police found him a half-mile downstream, said Rexburg police Capt. Randy Lewis.

Though an officer gave him CPR and emergency workers did everything they could to revive him, Lewis said, the boy was pronounced dead when it appeared the effort had failed. After giving the boy’s mother and stepfather — Debra and Joe Gould — some time to say goodbye, Madison Memorial Hospital nurse Mary Zollinger began to prepare Logan’s body for the funeral home.

But when she looked at the boy, she noticed his chest was slightly moving and realized that Logan was alive.

The boy was flown to Primary Children’s Medical Center in Salt Lake City, where he was listed in critical condition Friday. Late Thursday, he was breathing on his own and his color had returned, but he was placed back on a respirator Friday, Lewis said.

“I’m just amazed and overwhelmed with what took place,” Lewis said. “They aggressively worked on him for quite a bit of time, and of course it’s a bad situation when you have to let the parents know that their son has passed away.”

But despair turned to joy when emergency workers learned the boy was alive.

“It’s called divine intervention, I think. I was dumbfounded. I couldn’t believe it hardly, especially after leaving there and seeing what had transpired,” Lewis said. “I don’t know how to explain it. It’s joyous and relieving.”

© 2004 The Associated

Wally_in_Cincy
05-28-2004, 12:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
...“It’s called divine intervention, I think....<hr /></blockquote>

I would tend to agree

wolfdancer
05-28-2004, 01:05 PM
Sad thing is that something like this happened recently...they revived an apparently dead child...but the brain dies quickly, when deprived of oxygen...and he will be severely retarded, and need life-long care. hope this isn't the case here...but after 30 min under water...it would really be a miracle.

CarolNYC
05-29-2004, 03:12 AM
WOW! Very cool!
Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

bluewolf
05-29-2004, 04:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> Sad thing is that something like this happened recently...they revived an apparently dead child...but the brain dies quickly, when deprived of oxygen...and he will be severely retarded, and need life-long care. hope this isn't the case here...but after 30 min under water...it would really be a miracle. <hr /></blockquote>

When a person has been submerged in very cold water for much longer than the 'six minute rule' and when revived, they sometimes do not have brain damage. I certainly hope this is the case for this little boy.

When I was working at a hospital back in the late 80's, there was this child who had been in a coma for an extended period of time and they had gotten flat lines on him and were preparing the family to pull the plug. the boy woke up and said 'moma'.

Have seen some pretty miraculous things!!!

Laura

Harold Acosta
05-29-2004, 07:29 AM
Something like that happened in Puerto Rico several years ago. The boy had drowned in the beach. Everything was done to revive the boy but nothing. The father kept insisting on CPR but the medics said he had gone away. About 2 hours later at the funeral home, the boy started breathing and as of this day he is well with no brain damage. He is six years old now. In the next few weeks they will interview the boy and family on TV and probably next week on some radio stations. I heard about it 2 days ago on radio.

moblsv
05-29-2004, 10:33 AM
There have been several documented cases of surviving cold water drowning for as long as two hours, often with no apparent side-effects. The medical explaination is called Hypothermia and Mammalian Diving Relex.

Let's hope this boy is one of the lucky one to have no apparent side-effects.