PDA

View Full Version : Cue Maintenance

adc
05-29-2004, 12:01 AM
Hi there

I am wondering how to get about doing proper cue maintenance?

I read off the John Parris Cues website that to clean down/polish up the cue with raw linseed oil.

However, in addition to that, I was once told by a friend to spray the cue up with a teflon spray coating?

Any ideas?

Thanks.

woody
05-29-2004, 06:46 AM
I believe John Parris is refering to the Linssed oil he applies is in replace of a laquer finish on the butt only. I've never heard of teflon on the tip, but it seems that would'nt do any good. The tip is sciffed anyway and the sides are burnished. Personnaly I clean my cue often, about once a week. I prefer to use Q-Clean on the shaft, fine sandpaper on the ferrule, cue wax one the butt, and wipe it down with a damp cloth after each match. Once in a while Q-Silk on the shaft. The myth is that the thousands of strokes, with the natural burnishing is what protects the shaft. All you're trying to do by cleaning it is to lift the chalk and dirt out of the wood.

Troy
05-29-2004, 07:22 AM
First, I suggest you keep your hands clean and dry. No powder either.
Second, after each session, wipe down your shaft with a clean, damp cloth followed by a wipedown with a clean dry cloth. For really dirty shafts (excess chalk, etc) I use Simple Green® diluted with 2-parts water. Again, only dampen a cloth. I also use lighter fluid (Ronsonol®) on occasion if the Simple Green solution doesn't cut it.
I avoid any product with an abrasive or bleach. This includes SoftScrub®, Comet® and those specialty cue clean products with an abrasive or bleach.

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote adc:</font><hr> Hi there

I am wondering how to get about doing proper cue maintenance?

I read off the John Parris Cues website that to clean down/polish up the cue with raw linseed oil.

However, in addition to that, I was once told by a friend to spray the cue up with a teflon spray coating?

Any ideas?

Thanks. <hr /></blockquote>

ElephantPoker
05-30-2004, 09:52 PM
I wouldn't use simple green, lighter fluid or water on my shaft. You'll find that you get a lot of bad advice from some people who post here, so beware. A rag lightly moistenened with rubbing alcohol followed by a clean cloth should be enough. If that's not good enough, then have it re-conditioned by a professional.

PQQLK9
05-31-2004, 05:34 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ElephantPoker:</font><hr> If that's not good enough, then have it re-conditioned by a professional. <hr /></blockquote>
Troy is a professional

Troy
05-31-2004, 07:13 AM
Thank you K9... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PQQLK9:</font><hr>
Troy is a professional <hr /></blockquote>

Jay M
05-31-2004, 07:21 AM
Rubbing alcohol works fine for the shaft. Don't put anything that leaves a residue (like a teflon spray) because it will just gum up over time and clog the pores in the wood. A damp cloth works fine for the laquered part of the butt.

There's no real need to get fancy, just the basics, applied regularly, will keep a cue in great shape.

Jay M

Sid_Vicious
05-31-2004, 08:01 AM
"You'll find that you get a lot of bad advice from some people who post here, so beware"

I know you mean well, but the particular poster you resdponded to is probably about the cream of the crop here as far as cue maintainence goes. Yes, bad advice happens, but the good advice far outweighs the bad. jm2c...sid

Troy
05-31-2004, 08:05 AM
Thank you Sid... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr>I know you mean well, but the particular poster you resdponded to is probably about the cream of the crop here as far as cue maintainence goes. Yes, bad advice happens, but the good advice far outweighs the bad. jm2c...sid <hr /></blockquote>

Cueless Joey
05-31-2004, 08:46 AM
This is what I use.
http://www.fivestarbilliards.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&amp;Product_Code=DrZ&amp;Category _Code=ShaftCare&amp;Product_Count=3

stickman
05-31-2004, 10:23 PM
I use these products from cuesmith.com.
SHAFT CLEANER 8oz. $8.00 each, 3/$6 each,or 6/$5 each.
SHAFT SEALER $10 - 8oz, $18 - Pint, or $35 - Quart
I'm very happy with both products. I love the sealer. I micro burnish with 5 micron burnishing film. The shafts are smooth as glass and repel chalk, hand oil, and other contaminants. I keep a microfiber towel in my cue case and keep the shaft clean with it. If you don't like the feel of the sealer, you can fine sand the sealer down to the shaft, and the sealer still seals the pores. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

catscradle
06-01-2004, 04:32 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote stickman:</font><hr> I use these products from cuesmith.com.
SHAFT CLEANER 8oz. $8.00 each, 3/$6 each,or 6/$5 each.
SHAFT SEALER $10 - 8oz, $18 - Pint, or $35 - Quart
I'm very happy with both products. I love the sealer. I micro burnish with 5 micron burnishing film. The shafts are smooth as glass and repel chalk, hand oil, and other contaminants. I keep a microfiber towel in my cue case and keep the shaft clean with it. If you don't like the feel of the sealer, you can fine sand the sealer down to the shaft, and the sealer still seals the pores. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
<hr /></blockquote>

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you've mentioned having a lathe in the past. If so, can these products be properly applied without one?

stickman
06-01-2004, 07:04 AM
I have a lathe, but there's no reason it can't be used without a lathe. I've done it both ways.

adc
06-03-2004, 07:01 AM
Hi there.. thanks for all the information and replies. My bad, I should have quoted what I read off the Parris website.

"During play, if the cue becomes sticky, wipe it down with a slightly damp cloth and buff dry immediately. Never sandpaper the cue, this removes the protective sealer on the shaft leaving bare wood and also gradually wears away the cue shaft.

Occasionally, (3-6 months depending on the amount you play) treat the cue with raw linsead oil. Wipe cue down with a damp cloth and dry. (If cue is very dirty, mild detergent can be used) do not use to much water or this can cause the cue to swell. Apply oil onto cue with a cloth or paper towel, leave overnight to soak in, buff cue with a clean cloth until smooth and dry and no residue is visible on clean cloth. Then wipe with damp cloth and dry and buff."

Well, looks like I will be sticking to the basics of wiping with a damp cloth and drying immediately.

However, I think I will go and try the linseed oil. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hope nothing bad happens :P

heh.

Cheers and thanks again.