PDA

View Full Version : Playing in Chicago

Karatemom
05-29-2004, 09:22 AM
Last weekend, the three of us and two buddies drove up to Chicago for a day of shooting and fun. We were headed for Cue Can Do in Schaumburg first. Very nice place! We thought there was a tournament that day, but found out it was the weekend prior. So C.C. hooked up with a guy and played for a while. Our buddies and Spike played for a while a few tables over and I was just enjoying being "home" again. So much so that I just had to take a walk down to the Baskin Robbins Ice Cream shop for some chocolate ice cream that I haven't been able to have in 12 years! LOL.

After spending about 6 hours in Schaumburg, we decided to drive around Chicago and see what we could see. We stopped and had some Gene and Jude's hot dogs, which are the best hot dogs anywhere! And of course, we had to get some to take home. Then we made our way to Oak Park Billiards, where C.C. learned how to shoot. Nothing had changed. It looked like the cloth on most of the tables hadn't been redone in 30 years! Beautiful old tables, too. It was very nostaglic.

Then we made our way into the heart of Chicago. We were careful where we drove as Spike didn't need to see the happenings on Rush Street, LOL. Then we happened on a White Castle. As it turns out, one of our buddies had never had a slider, so we had to stop and have a few. It was Spike's first real slider as well and he loved 'em. Anyway, from there, we headed to Chris' Billiards. This was a place I've heard so much about but never had been.

The atmosphere is much different at Chris' than anywhere here, so we kept to ourselves as C.C. got into a one pocket game. Then Spike gets a game, go figure! Shortly after, I see a fellow CCB'er, rukiddingme, and now I've got a game! We had a lot of fun. She comes down to see us quite a bit and it was nice to play in her "house".

We managed to get home around 4 a.m. Sunday morning, and I had a wonderful time. My main reason for this post, though, was that I couldn't believe the difference between the Quad Cities and Chicago pool halls. In Chicago, you'll have a hard time finding a bar box, but in Q.C., they're all over the place. Everything in Chicago is done on 9 foot tables, where here, it seems like they're there for decoration. And the people, too. If you're shooting here, you can definitely expect someone to come up to you and talk to you about your game, their game, the table rolls, offer some help, etc. In Chicago, you see none of that! We're only about 200 miles from Chicago, and the difference between us is amazing.

Heide ~ just rambling I guess, but I'm still here

Wally_in_Cincy
05-29-2004, 09:50 AM
K-mom,

I know where ou can find a barbox in Chicago /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif. A couple years ago I went to the Beaumont on Halsted to see a concert. They had a bar table. Problem was it on an elevated portion of the floor, like a drum riser. The floor dropped off 12 inches on one side of the table /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif.

Sounds like you had fun. I can not imagine driving around Chicago could be considered fun though. Those people scared this poor hillbilly to death /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Wally~~my version of a happy meal is a six-pack and a sack of sliders

pooljunkie73
05-29-2004, 10:26 AM
OK OK....Ya just confused the Canadian, what in heck is a "slider"? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Kent Mc.

Wally_in_Cincy
05-29-2004, 10:53 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooljunkie73:</font><hr> OK OK....Ya just confused the Canadian, what in heck is a "slider"? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Kent Mc. <hr /></blockquote>

White Castle hamburger. They are quite small. They are fried with chopped onion.

http://www.ramgroup.net/images/white%20castle%20combo%20small3.jpg

They call them sliders because they go down greasy. A 24 hr. place that gets really busy after the bars close.

http://www.99w.com/evilsam/ff/whitecastle.jpg

They have holes in them so they cook quicker

http://www.lakeweb1.com/gutbombs/index.3.jpg

here's a cool link

http://www.princeton.edu/~puband/white-castle.html

Karatemom
05-29-2004, 12:08 PM
hahahahahahaha. Wally did a good job of explaining them. You must have way too much time on your hands Wally, LOL. You can't go to Chicago and not have a slider.

Heide

Wally_in_Cincy
05-29-2004, 12:13 PM
K-mom,

They had a contest for making a dish with sliders. Some lady made a dip where she mashed them up and served them with tortilla chips /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I'll stick with un-mashed cheeseburgers myself. with onion chips /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9 Ball Girl
05-29-2004, 01:40 PM
Hey Heide!!!! How are you?!!! At least you're playing some. I haven't played in a minute--all I do now after work is go to the gym--everyday--walk the Brooklyn Bridge twice--everyday--and on Saturdays wake up at the ungodly hour of 6:30AM to go the gym again. I may not have a helluva stroke but I've got legs of steel so when I start up again I can last til the wee hours of the morning like I used to! LOL

I saw your boys in Valley Forge looking as cute as usual. You were missed! I sure hope you guys can make it down to VA for the Open this year. Oh, I did get to shoot some at Hall of Fame Billiards 2 Thursdays ago after the gym and I was shooting as if I'd never shot before! Frustrating it was! LOL There was a point in time where if people didn't see me with my case they would get surprised. Now if they see me with my case, they get surprised! Hahahahaha!

Anyway, hope is well with you and your job! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Leviathan
05-29-2004, 03:20 PM
Hi, Heide--What a great report. Been wondering what you were up to these days. Chicago sounds like the place to play pool--must go sometime. All I've seen of Chicago is O'Hare. The sliders and dogs would be a big added attraction! In the South we have Krystals--little square burgers with onions, but no holes.

Good to hear the Karatemom news!

Alan S

rukiddingme
05-30-2004, 03:24 PM
There I was driving back from Racine late Saturday night when I decided to go to Chris's to play just a little more pool. As I walk up the stairs and peak over at table 9, 10, 11, 12 I looking to see who is there I see SPIKE?! then I see CC playing Paul Navarette on table 10 and you sitting watching. That is the first time I have stopped in at Chris's when coming back from Racine in forever. It must have been fate...lol
Needless to say it was great seeing you guys... and thanks for kicking my butt in my "house"... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I'm going to be at a family reunion Fathers day weekend in the QC. Hope to see you guys then.
ruk

CarolNYC
05-31-2004, 03:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I had a wonderful time <hr /></blockquote>
Hi Heide,
You guys are amazing-the family that "plays together,stays together"thats awesome!You are too funny with the 'White Castle" and now, I will have to beg-to-differ with" the Gene and Jude's hot dogs, which are the best hot dogs "maybe one day you guys will make it our way and we'll have to go to Coney Island for a hot-dog /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gifhint!!!!!
Glad your still here!
Carol

Karatemom
05-31-2004, 08:38 AM
One of these days, or years, I'll have to make it back to New York just to see if New York hot dogs are better than Chicago hot dogs. Oh, and I guess I could shoot some, too, LOL. If New York is anything like Chicago, I'll have to practice up on my 9' game.

Nice to hear from you.

Heide

Karatemom
05-31-2004, 08:41 AM
There's no telling what we're doing from week to week, but I'll make sure that we're around that weekend. It sure was nice to see a friendly face in an unfamiliar place.

See you in a couple of weeks.

Heide

Karatemom
05-31-2004, 08:46 AM
The last time we were in Chicago, we were at O'Hare as well, and I remembered why we don't live there anymore! LOL. In Chicago, you don't have to go very far to run into a pool hall somewhere. It was fun driving through the old cities where I used to work and see how much everything had changed. It's only been 12 years, but it feels like forever. I plan on being in Chicago in October for the Midwest Expo, and might end up there again sometime in between for a tournament or two.

Hope you and dad are well.

Heide

Karatemom
05-31-2004, 08:51 AM
I'm not playing anywhere near as much as I was. I used to shoot 7 days a week, but now it's only about 3 - 5. Got OT at work again and there are just some nights I would rather sit around and be a railbird. But I have noticed that the lack of playing as much as helped my game. I'm guessing I was getting burnt out a little, and the break definitely helps, even if it is just a couple of days. Now the fellas are another story. They are both shooting lights out these days. I used to be able to win against Spike 9/10 in 8 ball, but now it's down to about 5/10. I won't even bother playing him 9 ball because I hate racking!! LOL

Heide

Steve - Detroit
05-31-2004, 09:10 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Leviathan:</font><hr> In the South we have Krystals--little square burgers with onions, but no holes.

Alan S <hr /></blockquote>

No holes??? That's the healthiest part. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SRpool
05-31-2004, 11:18 AM
Hi Heide,

It sounds like you guys had a great time in Chicago. I'm not sure that I have ever met you and I know I have never met Spike. I have known Chris for a very long time from the many trips to Bloomington to the pool room my father used to own. Maybe I'll get a chance to play some pool with you guys next time you are in Chicago.

Take care,
Sarah

Karatemom
05-31-2004, 11:49 AM
That's very sweet. I do believe I've seen you, but can't say I remember meeting you either. I guarantee if you had met Spike, you'd never forget him. He's cute as can be and the only 11 year old around here who can get a game the second he walks in the door. If you're ever in East Moline, we're always up at Leisure Time. Not sure when we'll get back to Chicago, hopefully within the next couple of months, but will definitely be there for the Expo. I plan on playing in the 8 ball and maybe the 9 ball. Spike will be in the juniors and I'm sure Chris will be in everything! LOL.

Heide

Vagabond
06-01-2004, 04:47 AM
that some one from NY is going to throw a challenge regards the best Hot dogs.He he he he
vagabond /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif