PDA

View Full Version : bored with drills

UTAddb
05-29-2004, 11:28 AM
Lately I've been getting pretty bored with practice and drills and usually find myself just playing rack after rack of 9 ball or occasionally straight. Is this ok or is there any advice to get me 'back into the groove?' Thanks.

Chris Cass
05-29-2004, 11:44 AM
Yep, If your getting board with drills that only means you need to shake it up a bit. What I do is change them up. Show me the drills you do and I'll give you some to mix it up with. I'll even give you the reasons for them and we'll work togather so one day you can blame me for everything you mess up on. LOL J/K but not about the drills. Just the blaming. hahaha I'll get you back to the fight.

Regards,

C.C.~~use the WEI table please. Oh, I know what the straight pool looks like /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Popcorn
05-29-2004, 12:46 PM
Maybe you need to invent a few drills of your own that you enjoy doing. I have said it before that I like to practice running balls into one pocket, both corner and side pockets. I think when people watch they think I am practicing one pocket but I am not, it is just fun. Plus it uses all the skills, banking, shot making, position play, creative thinking and so on. Just find something you like to do, it is should be fun, not like work.

Frank_Glenn
05-29-2004, 12:55 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote UTAddb:</font><hr> Lately I've been getting pretty bored with practice and drills and usually find myself just playing rack after rack of 9 ball or occasionally straight. Is this ok or is there any advice to get me 'back into the groove?' Thanks. <hr /></blockquote>

Try equal offense and keep score. You will find competing against yourself better than just "playing". The rules for equal offense are in the BCA rule book, IIRC. They are on line, and the Internet Equal Offense link I have is http://www.tourboard.com/ieo/start.html. Basically it's 14.1 to 20 balls. Rack rack 15, smash break, spot what went in, take ball in hand behind the string and shoot 14, leave last ball and rerack (like 14.1) and break on the last ball and try to get to a total of 20. Do this 10 times, and add up the score. 200 would be a perfect game. I shoot anywhere from ~90 to just over 100. Good luck. A pro would shoot over 150, see the web page for more.

UTAddb
05-29-2004, 03:20 PM
Thanks for the help and advice. Playing with one pocket sounds especially good. Chris- I do Scott's drills everyday but I don't have a problem with that. I pretty much shoot drills out of Black belt billiards or David Sapolis's 9 ball book, which sure has some tricky position patterns. Sometimes I'll just spread out the balls and practice making kick shots or kick safeties or open up a 9 ball rack and try to play safe on every shot. Sometimes I'll play 9 ball until I miss and practiced that bad shot whether it be shotmaking or position but I seem to lose interest in that pretty fast. Anyway, thanks again for your interest and I hope that helps.

Chris Cass
05-29-2004, 06:55 PM
Hi UTAddb,

Thanks for the honesty but I still get that bored feeling from you. Let me tell you what I do. I have a routine that I do. Now, our skill levels might be different but that doesn't matter. I look at drills as work. I also look at them as a chance to invest in my game. I do these when I'm not doing anything and mainly when the ph is quiet. This affords me, a better chance to get in the zone.

This is all I do. Do they help? Yep, they do. here they are,

#1) START(
%AH9Y2%Pg8O8%UC9Z8%VH0Y3%WJ8X8%Xf9P1%eB4b0

)END
http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/pooltable2.html

This drill you work on many different things. I'll work on my stroke (follow-through) one day. The next I'll work on my stroke timing. The nextime I'll work on my draw, stop or follow.

#2) START(
%Ag7D0%Bg7E7%Cg7G3%Dg6H9%Eg6J5%Fg6L1%Gg6M8%Hg6O4%I g5Q0%Jg6R8
%Po9G8%Ui7I5%Vo8L7%Wi6D7%Xn9G6%Yi8F4%Zo7I9%[i8H1%\o7K5%]i8K2
%^o8N3%eC1b1
)END

This drill I cut the balls down in the corner while moving the cb back, to create the same shot but different angles in relationship to the rail. Why? What this shot does is keep your shots in the blind and your forced to shoot the angle. This helps in all the games where you need to shoot in the blind. Side pocket shots especially.

#3)START(
%A]6D0%B_3D0%Ca1D0%Db8D0%Ed7C9%Ff6D0%P`3F4%Qa1E7%Rb5E 7%Sd1E6
%Te7E6%U[7[1%Vd3D3%W[2[4%X]4D6%Y[6[2%Z_0D6%[[8[1%\`9D4%][2[5
%^b8D5%eC3a9%_\2[4%`a0O4%af2D1
)END

These shots are froze to the rail and they're cross over banks. This helps greatly in shooting in the blind also. I reverse sides to all these drills to work out both sides, first right english on this side and then left english on the other side of the table.

This should be good for now. Normally I'll shoot 2-300 of the straight-in shots in dia 1. The shots in dia 2 I'll shoot 10 on one side then all 10 from the other side of the table. I might do 1 set of these, each practice routine. I'll shoot also 1 set of 6 on each side for the shots in dia 3. That's plenty for practice. I fly through these now and have gone on to other drills but revert to these quite often. These are the basics and are very much used in different scenarios. Look for them.

I guarentee, if you do these drills for 4 times on 1 mth you'll see improvements in your game. Also, feel you have more confidence in your stroke.

Regards,

C.C.~~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

UTAddb
05-29-2004, 07:31 PM
Wow, I appreciate all the great info C.C. These should keep me busy. On the 2nd diagram, I'm assuming you're playing position down the line, in rotation?

Leviathan
05-30-2004, 06:39 AM
Hiya, Chris. Nice drills--I can see how they would help anybody. I might try #2; I think I missed a shot in the blind once. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Your straight-shot drill is kinda like one I sometimes use at the beginning of a practice session:

START(
%AQ9J7%BL7P8%CJ5O4%DL7N1%EM7P1%FK6P1%GK6N8%HM7N8%I L7O4%JK6M5
%KJ5P7%LJ5N2%MK6Q4%NJ5R0%OJ5M0%Pg5V3%Qf8S6%Rf7U7%S f7V8%WD4D1
%Xs2[2
)END

http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/%7Ewei/pool/pooltable2.html

What I'm doing here is shooting series of three shots into the corner pocket, from cueball positions like A, B, and C. These shots are almost straight. A half hour of this stuff fine-tunes my aiming and gets me stroking straight.

Regards,
Alan S

Chris Cass
05-30-2004, 10:55 AM
Hi Alan,

Yes, in all these diagrams you move the cb by hand to the spot. Getting position isn't what were after here. It's relaying to your mind what looks good as far as angles go. Once you have a good idea and get a good idea where the cb goes. You can adjust your speed and you'll be a plus in the dark.

Regards,

Chris Cass
05-30-2004, 11:03 AM
Hi UTAddb,

Well, I physically set the cb in place on them. I want to keep the angle the same but what does chang is the relationship to the rail. So basically, your moving the cb out. Any shot that falls short needs to be set up and made again. Alls I suggest is you try these drills 4 times in one mth and you'll see a difference.

Lets talk about the stroke. I shoot these shots at a almost medium stroke. Firm and below break speed. LOL Don't hit these soft. The reason I suggest this is because when your in a game you can always hit the shot at a slower speed and I want your mind and stroke to feel the power of a goos firm, deliberate stroke. It helps you feel strong and desire will proceed.

Regards,

1Time
05-31-2004, 09:08 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote UTAddb:</font><hr>Is this ok or is there any advice to get me 'back into the groove?'<hr /></blockquote>

Yes, it is okay to just run racks. I rarely shoot drills except for about a 5 minute warm-up where I mostly just shoot short shots straight in. I don't really get "out of the groove" myself. Instead my game varies between normal and dead stroke. Whatever works for you is what matters and trying different things is the key.

What I've found that makes the biggest difference in my game is what I call (for lack of a better term) "hunger". Really being hungry for playing pool, for making shots and running racks, is what helps me most... it's the preparation I do before playing, even days before playing all the way up to the night before when I'm prepping my cue stick.

What works best for me is as follows:
1) Play regularly, daily or every other day or whatever.
2) Break from this routine by skipping a few days and go do some outdoor activity like sports, travel, or whatever.
3) Come back to the pool hall another day and watch good players compete. Do this for 30 minutes to a couple of hours.
4) Develop a "hunger" for playing while watching good players compete.
5) Either call it a day and come back and do this again, or get on the table and play. This depends on the level of "hunger" you develop while watching.
6) Keep the drill time on any particular type of shot down to 5 minutes, then move on to another type of shot. Usually a minute or two is enough for me. You really want to develop your ability to quickly move from one type of shot to another, just as is done when running a rack.
7) Take 30 minute breaks every hour and watch more pool, or come back later in the day, or just call it a day.

SpiderMan
05-31-2004, 09:53 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Frank_Glenn:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote UTAddb:</font><hr> Lately I've been getting pretty bored with practice and drills and usually find myself just playing rack after rack of 9 ball or occasionally straight. Is this ok or is there any advice to get me 'back into the groove?' Thanks. <hr /></blockquote>

Try equal offense and keep score. You will find competing against yourself better than just "playing". The rules for equal offense are in the BCA rule book, IIRC. They are on line, and the Internet Equal Offense link I have is http://www.tourboard.com/ieo/start.html. Basically it's 14.1 to 20 balls. Rack rack 15, smash break, spot what went in, take ball in hand behind the string and shoot 14, leave last ball and rerack (like 14.1) and break on the last ball and try to get to a total of 20. Do this 10 times, and add up the score. 200 would be a perfect game. I shoot anywhere from ~90 to just over 100. Good luck. A pro would shoot over 150, see the web page for more. <hr /></blockquote>

Have you tried Fargo? I find that Ilike it a lot more than equal offense because of the planning required for the switch to rotation.

SpiderMan

Frank_Glenn
05-31-2004, 10:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Have you tried Fargo? I find that Ilike it a lot more than equal offense because of the planning required for the switch to rotation.
<hr /></blockquote>
Yes, but I play 14.1 a lot, so I'll stick with EO.

bluewolf
06-01-2004, 06:15 AM
I found that with drills, I beat myself up when I did not get them right at a high %. Today, I just get on the table and play and shoot the shots that are above my ability level, that is shots that I have difficulty with mixed in with some I have high percentage with.

That helps me to keep my mental attitude. drills work great for some, but for me, I improve most when relaxed and feeling good about the game.One thing I focus on the most is to have a good stroke, follow, freeze, not lift my head up and if I do those things then I feell pretty good, even when I am missing some shots in practice.

Then people comment about how much better I have gotten, which I am not aware of because my practice is fun.

Laura