PDA

View Full Version : Interesting picture, regarding generating power

05-03-2002, 03:05 PM
I posted a while back a couple of lengthy explanations on generating power on the break. One of the things I talked about was how different parts of the body start moving at different times. Generally, parts with bigger ranges of motion start moving before parts with smaller ranges of motion. This typicall means moving in a "wave" like motion from the legs up to the hands.

Mike Cameron hit 4 HR's yesterday. Take a look at this picture of one of them. Notice how he has already moved his legs, hips, and shoulders considerably (they are still moving, and haven't stopped yet) but his arms and hands (moving the wrists) seem to "lag behind" this motion.

<a target="_blank" href=http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/ABPub/a1cameronpic03_0502201600.jpeg>http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/ABPub/a1cameronpic03_0502201600.jpeg</a>

I thought it was a good illustration of what I had written about before.

cheesemouse
05-03-2002, 03:12 PM
interesting....I have a question...has the ball been hit or is it about to be hit??? thanks.

05-03-2002, 03:19 PM
The ball is about to be hit.

05-03-2002, 03:20 PM
Mike, I tried your suggestion, and it worked, with one small hitch. I had my opponent pitch the cue ball to me, and not having a bat handy, just used a house cue to hit it. My problem is that I can't get around on the fast ball anymore, so I kept hitting to the right of the pack; but the improved speed, wow!!!

05-03-2002, 03:22 PM
Ha ha! Well, actually, the best breakers in the world only move the cueball at about 30 MPH. So yeah, you could hit it A LOT harder if you just took a housecue or bat and swung at it!

Tom_In_Cincy
05-03-2002, 03:43 PM
Mike learned to do that pretty good while he played on Cincinnati for the Reds..
We still miss him..

05-03-2002, 03:51 PM
The Mariners have been batting TERRIBLY lately. They sure came out of it yesterday! I hope we carry some of that momentum into New York this weekend!

I've got lots of games to watch tonight! Sonics vs. Spurs! (I was at game 4 in Seattle Wednesday night). Mariners vs. Yankees! And 76'rs (GO IVERSON!) vs. Boston!

05-06-2002, 04:27 PM
Hi Mike,

That's a pretty universal method, and crosses over into many sports. It's relative motion - for example, your arms alone can move the cue a certain speed. But the arms move relative to the rest of the body, so if the body is already moving the arm speed becomes additive. Sort of like booster stages to a rocket.

I used to build slingshots and shoot competitively. You can gain almost 100 feet per second velocity by
using tapered rubber bands instead of constant-width. It's the same principle, the thicker section near the fork acts as a "moving platform" for the thinner section near the projectile. Of course, the projectile mass must be lighter because it is being thrown by a thinner band, but there is an optimum that can be reached.

SpiderMan

SpiderMan
05-06-2002, 04:39 PM

05-06-2002, 05:18 PM
Yep, the "moving platform" thing is a great description.

Did you see the papers I posted here on generating power? I still have them, if anyone wants me to post them again or send them to them.