PDA

View Full Version : Loctite 454

BeanDiesel
05-31-2004, 04:05 PM
Please tell me where i can get Loctite 454 at a reasonable price, and reasonable S&H. I only need a tube or two.
Thanks.

Popcorn
05-31-2004, 04:11 PM
At first I had a hard time finding it, but all I had to do was looking the right place. You should be able to find it in most industrial supplies. I don't know why, but bearing suppliers usually have it. It is around $3.75 to $4.25 a tube. Just check around where you live, you should find it.

Harold Acosta
05-31-2004, 06:31 PM
Check your hardware stores, and others like Kmart, Home Depot, Sears. Loc-tite products are easily available in some areas.

Troy
05-31-2004, 07:48 PM
I've found that Locktite QuicktiteŽ is the same stuff. Maybe not exactly the same, but for me it's close enough. Locktite also makes Duro. I only use the gel.

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BeanDiesel:</font><hr> Please tell me where i can get Loctite 454 at a reasonable price, and reasonable S&amp;H. I only need a tube or two.
Thanks. <hr /></blockquote>

stickman
05-31-2004, 09:53 PM
$4.81 for a 3 gm tube, or $20.80 or a 20gm tube at Graingers.com. I don't know about shipping. I live in a small rural community, and I don't think it's available locally. Joplin is about an hours drive away. I might be able to find it there, but with the price of gas, it might be just as easy to pay the shipping. My truck is a gas hog. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Jim

BeanDiesel
06-01-2004, 02:14 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Troy:</font><hr> I've found that Locktite QuicktiteŽ is the same stuff. Maybe not exactly the same, but for me it's close enough. Locktite also makes Duro. I only use the gel.

Troy
<hr /></blockquote>

which duro gel do u recommend Troy? i'm gonna put on a moori med.

Troy
06-01-2004, 07:55 AM
It's called Duro GelŽ, comes in a small tube. Or Locktite QuicktiteŽ, comes in a larger squeeze plastic bottle.

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BeanDiesel:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Troy:</font><hr> I've found that Locktite QuicktiteŽ is the same stuff. Maybe not exactly the same, but for me it's close enough. Locktite also makes Duro. I only use the gel.

Troy
<hr /></blockquote>

which duro gel do u recommend Troy? i'm gonna put on a moori med.
<hr /></blockquote>

stickman
06-01-2004, 08:05 AM
I looked into the 454, but have used the Loctite Quicktite gel in the larger bottles as suggested by Troy, and haven't had any problems since. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Thanks, Troy.

I prevously used Duro Quick Gel and occassionally had tips falling off.

Jim

BeanDiesel
06-01-2004, 09:20 AM
i use duro quick gel to put on a Talisman WB med, and i can tell that it's about to fall off. i think i'll try looking for quicktite. thanks troy.

wait, is there a good glue for this purpose other than those by Loctite Corp.?

how about contact glue?

Troy
06-01-2004, 09:40 AM
I used DuroQuick GelŽ for years with zero problems. When it became hard to find I switched to Locktite QuicktiteŽ Gel. Also zero problems. I store them in the 'fridge.

I've never tried "contact glue", but the idea of using something like "rubber cement" for applying tips doesn't appeal to me. Why get off a winning horse ??? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BeanDiesel:</font><hr> i use duro quick gel to put on a Talisman WB med, and i can tell that it's about to fall off. i think i'll try looking for quicktite. thanks troy.

wait, is there a good glue for this purpose other than those by Loctite Corp.?

how about contact glue? <hr /></blockquote>

stickman
06-01-2004, 09:56 AM
DuroQuick GelŽ seems to set faster than Loctite QuicktiteŽ Gel does. To me the Loctite Quicktite gives me an extra second to reposition the tip if it doesn't set perfectly the first try. If I used a Willard tip machine or some sort of jig to position the tips precisely, I might not have had a problem with the Duro. JAT

Candyman
06-01-2004, 09:56 AM
Has anyone tried Permatex Superglue? I have used it as an alternative for Loctite 454 in industrial applications and couldn't tell any difference. It is about the same price, but it is widely available in automotive supply houses. They also have the gel. If I am not mistaken, they invented these type of glues.

I was wrong again.This is brief history.
It was invented by Dr. Harry Coover. He was a research scientist for Eastman Kodak.

Troy
06-01-2004, 10:01 AM
Distinct possibility Stick... I use a Willard's for tip installation and the lathe for everything else.

Troy...~~~ Can't "wean" myself from the Willard's... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Been using it for toooo long... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote stickman:</font><hr> DuroQuick GelŽ seems to set faster than Loctite QuicktiteŽ Gel does. To me the Loctite Quicktite gives me an extra second to reposition the tip if it doesn't set perfectly the first try. If I used a Willard tip machine or some sort of jig to position the tips precisely, I might not have had a problem with the Duro. JAT <hr /></blockquote>

BeanDiesel
06-01-2004, 10:17 AM
has anybody tried this
http://www.seyberts.com/cue_accessories/kits/popupimages/Tip_Glue_&amp;_Accellerant.jpg
is it any good?

Frank_Glenn
06-01-2004, 01:50 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BeanDiesel:</font><hr> has anybody tried this
http://www.seyberts.com/cue_accessories/kits/popupimages/Tip_Glue_&amp;_Accellerant.jpg
is it any good? <hr /></blockquote>

I have had good luck with it. You do not need to accelrate it for tips, but dissimilar plastics (bur, maybe for these break disks that keep popping off?). I make pens and use it to glue the brass insert into the wood or Corian pen blank. My cuemaker uses it for tips, sometimes, other times he uses the little tubes of superglue gel. I have the liquid and medium gel versions of this product. It lasts a long time if you put the lid back on, and I have even forgotten the lid overnight and it was still OK. It's not cheap, though.