PDA

View Full Version : Now I'm Really Mad.

Chris Cass
06-01-2004, 01:12 AM
Ok,

First let me say this. I play and work at the ph everyday. Well, work no but play yes. I get maybe 9-20 hrs a week on the counter but when it's slow I'll play some.

There's a guy that brags how he's a millionaire and I'm all good with that. I think anyone who does make this 11% or so catagory has the right to smoke cigars, even though I can't see smoking 4 a day at $8. a pop. He's constantly telling my wife and I how he doesn't sweat money because he's got it. I'm ok with this.

He joins us every day and plays with us. We play ring 10 ball and for nothing. We play 8 ball too. He's a lonely man and we can tell. He going through a divorce and I don't mind his company despite the I'm so rich thing. I'm happy for him but one day he was talking it up and I said, "Hey, why don't you sponsor me in the next US Open coming up/" He said, "Talk to me later."

Well, I never did bring it up till he started in tonight. I said, were you serious about sponsoring me in the Open? I told him the entry would be fine and I was working on the room and travel myself. He said, I'll give you the same deal as Jesse (Jesse Bowman). I said, and what is that? He said, I'll lend you some money for your stick as collateral.

That ticked me off. I said, now wait a minute. I'm not looking for a loan, a hand-out or backer to split with. I wanted a sponsor. I said, I'd be willing to pass out company cards or possibly cue sales or something. I thought this would be a write off or something for him. He's retired and I know he didn't get to be a millionaire from being someone that isn't fruggle.

I just wanted him to keep his comments about how much money he has to himself. I invite him to play cause not to many people there want to hear him all night. I know he's lonely and needs friends but I don't need his money and told him so tonight. I also told him Jess was broke and he was just playing daddy.

Now he got upset and told me he'll be shooting with Jesse' cue if he doesn't get paid back. I told him Jess don't care about money at all and his cue either. He'll get as many as he wants from his dad. Well, no millionaire wants to hear about anyone who doesn't put money first. I know he was just as hurt as I was.

I wasn't really looking for him to say yes or anything but was only trying to shut him up. After he said talk to me later than, I was interested on what he had to say. Didn't brake my heart but I have to admit I was interested.

Anyway, it was over and I didn't think anything of it. I felt bad for hurting his feelings and still asked him to play. Here's the kicker. I never told anyone that I was looking for a sponsor and I got an email from Brady Berhman(sp) telling me a third party, signing me up for the Open. Is this a cruel joke or what? I replied to Brady and it might just be a form thing but this sucks.

Maybe, I'm reading into this way too much but come on. Wouldn't you feel bad? If it's someone here even though I wouldn't blame you. I may have made someone upset but this is too much. Your entry has been accepted by a third party? Brady would never be a part of that, I know.

Regards,

C.C.~~blowing off steam and going to bed. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

bluewolf
06-01-2004, 06:08 AM
He sounds like a liar and an a**.

Laura

Brady_Behrman
06-01-2004, 07:17 AM
Chris, Your entry has been PAID. It was paid by a third party and I can not devulge the source. It was paid with a mastercard.

This is the email I sent,

Chris,

Your entry for the 2004 U.S.Open 9-Ball Championships (September 6-12, 2004) has been accepted by a third party. Please reply back to this email and accept or deny this transaction.

Players Meeting:

Sunday 9/5/04: 6:30pm: Chesapeake Conference Center

Match Play Begins Monday 9/6/04: 11:00am

Event Details:

http://www.billiardhq.com/events/event.php?event_id=27

http://www.usopen9ballchampionships.com

Practice up, Stay Down and Follow Through. This is a great opportunity for you and playing players like Efren, Earl, & Johnny is no sweat. They have ALL the Pressure.

Your face may end up here, http://www.usopen9ballchampionships.com/history.php

See you at the Players Meeting!

Let Me Know,

Brady Behrman

I would never joke about this!
Brady

Predator314
06-01-2004, 07:29 AM
Ummm... Chris... if you don't accept this, I will /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

stickman
06-01-2004, 07:32 AM
Chris, it sounds like someone likes you enough to anonomously sponsor your entry. Maybe someone that doesn't need the money, or recognition, but just wants to see you have the chance to play well. Unless I read this wrong, I'm happy for you. Play well. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Now you have to be nice to everyone you meet, just in case they are the anonomous person. As if you weren't anyway. HaHa /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jim

Chris Cass
06-01-2004, 07:36 AM
Naa,

He's really a kind hearted man that has yrs of hard work behind him. He's been an airbourne trooper in the service and extremely set in his ways. He has a daughter that's grown and a wife that IMO is crazy.

He told me once that he didn't think a handsome guy like himself should be alone. That's how I know he's lonely. He tried dating a woman that has her eyes on only younger men and did see him on some occasion but later she dogged him in front of everyone by flirting way to much with a guy that's younger and would have nothing to do with her, unless he was 4 times over the legal drinking limit.

Sure he's oppionated and set in his ways but all in all he's a good man. He's lead a hard life and seen a lot. Been in a war, I'm sure. Hates rap music because of his band days. He didn't mean any harm. Just being himself. I should have expected the same from him. That was on me.

I've learned that you have to accept people for who they are. Some create a sad picture and some make life wonderful. Cheesemouse is one who created a happy outlook and I'm sure enjoys his life. Too bad this one doesn't. Sometimes this guy is happy.

I'm not envious of what he's made of himself. Sure, we all wish we could be wealthy but that's not always the case. The important thing is to be happy with what you have and not with what you don't. Millionaires are growing in numbers everyday but to be one you must respect how they've gotten there.

I don't want anything from this man. He talks of only two subjects. Money and it's always about him. It gets so old. He does have kind words for others too. It's always an excuse when he misses a shot. Instead of hey, I just plain missed.

I was just venting and I think I'm going to request the post be deleted. I never want to be mad over anything, anymore. I want to live like the cheese.

Regards,

C.C.

9 Ball Girl
06-01-2004, 07:38 AM
Hey Chris! Now you're really going to need this bunch!

Agent 99 (Aka Tip Monger, Pecan Patty YumYum)
Vagabond
Sactown Tommy Two-tone (Aka Tom in Cinci)
Cueless Joey (Aka Joey bag-ah-donuts)
Laviathan (Aka Duke M.)
Troy (project manager in charge of the Sardo Division)
Cheesemouse (Aka The Cheese)
Wendy (Aka Bridge Warden)
Carol (Aka Master of clothes and design)
dowNtown (Fired for being nice to someone one day)
Spike (Aka MC Spike and his pimp'd out Escalade dream)

All I can say is that the Anonymous person is one helluva person! No pressure Chris! No pressure! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Brady_Behrman
06-01-2004, 07:41 AM
Chris, I can assure you that your entry was NOT paid by this guy!

Brady

Chris Cass
06-01-2004, 07:41 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Brady_Behrman:</font><hr> Chris, Your entry has been PAID. It was paid by a third party and I can not devulge the source. It was paid with a mastercard.

This is the email I sent,

Chris,

Your entry for the 2004 U.S.Open 9-Ball Championships (September 6-12, 2004) has been accepted by a third party. Please reply back to this email and accept or deny this transaction.

Players Meeting:

Sunday 9/5/04: 6:30pm: Chesapeake Conference Center

Match Play Begins Monday 9/6/04: 11:00am

Event Details:

http://www.billiardhq.com/events/event.php?event_id=27

http://www.usopen9ballchampionships.com

Practice up, Stay Down and Follow Through. This is a great opportunity for you and playing players like Efren, Earl, &amp; Johnny is no sweat. They have ALL the Pressure.

Your face may end up here, http://www.usopen9ballchampionships.com/history.php

See you at the Players Meeting!

Let Me Know,

Brady Behrman

I would never joke about this!
Brady <hr /></blockquote>

Hi Brady, I have two questions. How long do I have to decide? Also, how much will the sponsor lose if I reject it?

I know you wouldn't joke about that. Thank you Brady.

Regards,

C.C.

Brady_Behrman
06-01-2004, 07:43 AM
I would appreciate your answer ASAP. Your sponsor will not lose a dime. let me know as soon as you can, no later then a month or so.

Brady

Rich R.
06-01-2004, 07:45 AM
Chris, it looks like someone really wants you to play in the Open, again. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

You may never find out who it is, but he/she obviously likes you. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Troy
06-01-2004, 07:49 AM
Interesting... Have you thought maybe that same rich old coot has paid your entry ??? Just a thought... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Maybe he feels bad that he led you on and now has too much pride to simply admit that he will sponsor you.

Troy

Barbara
06-01-2004, 08:16 AM
CC,

I think you're reading too much into this. I really do think it's someone else entirely because this dude (who's pissing me off too playing around with your Boti like he is) wouldn't put up the money until he had your word on this, right?

So go and play! I'll be there! Heck, a bunch of us will be there!!

Barbara

Chris Cass
06-01-2004, 08:35 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote stickman:</font><hr> Chris, it sounds like someone likes you enough to anonomously sponsor your entry. Maybe someone that doesn't need the money, or recognition, but just wants to see you have the chance to play well. Unless I read this wrong, I'm happy for you. Play well. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Now you have to be nice to everyone you meet, just in case they are the anonomous person. As if you weren't anyway. HaHa /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jim <hr /></blockquote>

Jim,

You don't get to head of the second largest Pool Detective organization unless you know your stuff. Voodoo' being the largest. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif I think he's went out of business?

Anyway, I haven't been able to get in my email thing for a week and the email from Brady was dated last week.

Now, for someone to put this on their Master charge that means they're putting interest on to the already enormus $500. entry. Secondly, Brady said it's an annonamus sorce. You've mentioned, doesn't need the money or recognition.

Well, that tells you that this someone doesn't value money first but others first. This also tells you that this person in Humble, not wanting any recognition. He also knows and likes me.

Well, this MO fits only two people and a possible third, Alan S.(Laviathan) Now, with deductive reasoning and the fact I know all three individuals have the biggest hearts ever made by God. I have only one conclusion.

This has Barry and Barbara written all over this. Hence, now, what the heck do I do? I can't sell Szamboti' because he's not taking any orders. His waiting list is endless. Barbara, with the heart of gold also, needs her money to payoff traffic tickets with that beast of a car.

This means it's Barry. Now Barry, you know I have the utmost respect for you and I think about you constantly. To be totally and brutally honest. I'm no champion. I'm just a average guy that loves the game. I can run out occasionally and my mind thinks I'm good. I'm not.

I don't belong in the company of these players (Effen, Johnny, and Earl with someone elses money. I could justify it, if I did something for it but to not give in return but my best? I don't think that would be enough. Last yr I went two and out. I hate to see anyone back a losing horse.

I am however so elated someone would even do such a nice jester to an old used up pool player. I blame this all on the Monk. I listened one mth to his, "I am a Winner" tape and thought I was a champion after that. I'd be willing to pay whatever the cost is to have your entry fee back to save any interest charges. Like I said, you've made my me very happy.

Regards,

C.C.~~thank you, I love you guys.

Doctor_D
06-01-2004, 08:37 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Brady_Behrman:</font><hr> I would appreciate your answer ASAP. Your sponsor will not lose a dime. let me know as soon as you can, no later then a month or so.

Good morning Chris:

If you do compete in the US Open in September, and would be willing to wear the Billiards Workbook Logo Pin, we could talk about some additional sponsorship $$$. If you might be interested.

Dr. D.

Chris Cass
06-01-2004, 08:38 AM
Nope Troy,

He doesn't have it in him. Besides, I got the email last week and just found it lastnight. He also in puter illiterate. Like I can spell that. LOL

Regards,

C.C.

Barbara
06-01-2004, 08:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr>
This has Barry and Barbara written all over this. Hence, now, what the heck do I do? I can't sell Szamboti' because he's not taking any orders. His waiting list is endless. Barbara, with the heart of gold also, needs her money to payoff traffic tickets with that beast of a car.

<font color="red">HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! ROTFLMAO!!!</font color>

This means it's Barry. Now Barry, you know I have the utmost respect for you and I think about you constantly. To be totally and brutally honest. I'm no champion. I'm just a average guy that loves the game. I can run out occasionally and my mind thinks I'm good. I'm not.

<font color="red">I'm calling Barry right now. I think he needs a good a laugh as you gave me!!</font color>

I don't belong in the company of these players (Effen, Johnny, and Earl with someone elses money. I could justify it, if I did something for it but to not give in return but my best? I don't think that would be enough. Last yr I went two and out. I hate to see anyone back a losing horse.

<font color="red">Hey Dude!! Listen up!! If you don't play against these guys, how do you know you can't beat them?</font color>

I am however so elated someone would even do such a nice jester to an old used up pool player. I blame this all on the Monk. I listened one mth to his, "I am a Winner" tape and thought I was a champion after that. I'd be willing to pay whatever the cost is to have your entry fee back to save any interest charges. Like I said, you've made my me very happy.

Regards,

C.C.~~thank you, I love you guys.

<font color="red">We love you too.</font color> /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

<hr /></blockquote>

Leviathan
06-01-2004, 08:59 AM
Old used up pool player my ass! You're the MAN! Also, I'm afraid it wasn't me, Amigo--my card has a $3 limit!

Alan S.

#### leonard
06-01-2004, 09:08 AM
Chris forget everything and just get focused on knocking them dead. I will email you my concentration secrets if I can remember them.####

Steve Lipsky
06-01-2004, 09:24 AM
Hey Chris. If the backer was really interested in maybe making some dough with his $500, he or she would do almost any other thing than "invest" in a pool tournament lolol.

Clearly you have a fan who wants to make you feel good about the trip and the tournament. Sometimes playing with someone else's money can be a good incentive for playing your best game, too.

Chris, I'll do you a favor here, buddy. I am going to tell your sponsor, on this newsgroup:

My buddy Chris Aiardo might not win the US Open. He has a great chance to cash, and might even make you a little profit. He will definitely make you proud. Now, if him maybe not winning the US Open means you no longer want to back him, please say so on this group in the next 2 hours.

Chris, if you don't hear from this person by 1:30 eastern time, you're gonna shut your mouth and play in the US Open. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

- Steve &lt;---- Huge Chris Cass fan

Rich R.
06-01-2004, 09:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> Now, for someone to put this on their Master charge that means they're putting interest on to the already enormus $500. entry. Secondly, Brady said it's an annonamus sorce. You've mentioned, doesn't need the money or recognition. <hr /></blockquote>
Chris, as a sub-junior novice detective, I can tell you, as long as that charge gets paid when the bill comes, there is no interest involved.
I would assume it is someone with $500 in hand, and they just used the card to make the transaction easier. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'll let you do the major detective work, on finding out who it was. I don't have a clue.

Ross
06-01-2004, 10:03 AM
Chris, didn't your momma teach you it is rude to turn down a gift? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif I think that whoever paid your entry did it because they wanted to - not to get something in return. Give them that pleasure - and then go to the Open and play hard and have fun.

Ross ~ hoping Chris will still be playing in the Open on Saturday so I won't have to face him in the CCB tourney /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

stickman
06-01-2004, 10:22 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> Well, that tells you that this someone doesn't value money first but others first. This also tells you that this person is Humble, not wanting any recognition. He also knows and likes me.

<font color="red"> There are many, many, many that like you, and have reason to. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif </font color>

I don't belong in the company of these players (Effen, Johnny, and Earl with someone elses money. <font color="red"> I play in at least 2 or more tournaments a week. I've never won one, but I still belong there! I've had friends pay my entry at times. I've also gone two and out a few times. </font color> I could justify it, if I did something for it but to not give in return but my best? I don't think that would be enough. <font color="red">Chris, this is what friends do! They give without expecting anything in return. Someone wanted to do this! Now don't disappoint them by returning the kindness of their jesture. You'd be depriving them of the joy of of their gift. </font color>
<hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue">I'm proud to call you a friend, but I sure didn't do it. Now do well! We'll be rooting for you.

Jim </font color>

Chris Cass
06-01-2004, 10:38 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Leviathan:</font><hr> Old used up pool player my ass! You're the MAN! Also, I'm afraid it wasn't me, Amigo--my card has a $3 limit!

Alan S. <hr /></blockquote>

I knew it wasn't you Alan. Just giving you honorable mention but I know what's in you. I know what's in your heart.

Regards,

C.C.~~say hi to your Dad. $3. limit? hahahaha yeah, right. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Chris Cass
06-01-2004, 10:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Brady_Behrman:</font><hr> Chris, I can assure you that your entry was NOT paid by this guy!

I knew that Brady. Thanks though for the quick reply. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C.

Chris Cass
06-01-2004, 10:43 AM
Nope,

This ones for the boss. LOL Throw anyone off the bridge lately? hahhaha

Regards,

C.C.~~the cassman on the case. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris Cass
06-01-2004, 10:44 AM
I knew I could count on you Pred. LOL

/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif,

C.C.

Popcorn
06-01-2004, 10:50 AM
I haven't read any of the other responses so I don't know what they had to say but here is what I think. It was a very bad idea to even consider accepting his offer, even if it was real. You should never put yourself in a position of being in someone's debt if you can help it. At some point they will throw it in your face or use it to try to manipulate you. If you want to go and it is worth some sacrifice then see if there is a way to make it happen. If you can't then don't go, but never sellout your dignity. Rich or poor, it's one of our most valuable possessions. This does not sound like a guy you would want to have holding anything over your head. I think if you want to be mad, you should be mad at yourself, for getting drawn into this. Now a lighter note, The next time you see Danny DiLiberto ask him about the guy that was going to sponsor him and fly him around in a private plane. This guy was so convincing, Danny showed up with his bags ready to go and the guy never showed up.

Chris Cass
06-01-2004, 10:55 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote #### leonard:</font><hr> Chris forget everything and just get focused on knocking them dead. I will email you my concentration secrets if I can remember them.#### <hr /></blockquote>

####,

Yes, I will need everything you can remember. LOL Now, how do you remember things about how to concentrate if you have to concentrate on remembering how? HAHAHAHHAHAHA

You kill me ####. Please, anything you can say always helped me so far. I just love you ####. I need to know if we can swap identity's? Think anyone would notice? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C.~~C.C.'s only coach.

Scott Lee
06-01-2004, 10:56 AM
Hey good buddy...Obviously this thing is ON THE SQUARE, and you MUST do everything you can to take advantage of it. Sounds like Dr. D is making a very generous gesture to help defer some of your travel expenses. If you don't go, I WILL have to come kick your ass up and down the street! BTW, I'll be coming through Moline (on my way to Chicago) sometime on June 15 or 16. Let's get together for a couple hours and knock the balls around! I'm doing a bunch of lessons in Sioux Falls, Des Moines, and around the Chicago area, between June 12 and June 26.

Be good to see ya again!

Scott

SPetty
06-01-2004, 10:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> So go and play! I'll be there! Heck, a bunch of us will be there!!<hr /></blockquote>Hey Chris,

(In my best Pool Detective voice:) It was probably just a friend who maybe won the lottery or something and had a little cash to spare. Ain't nothing wrong with doing a good deed with "free" money!

Love,
a bunch

Chris Cass
06-01-2004, 11:05 AM
Yep, that'll work. LOL

Aww Steve,

Your the one who deserves a sponsor. Your a class act all the way. You have youth, looks and talent. Your a champion and one of the most straight-up guys I know. I've been a fan of your since meeting you. I even think before that. I think you know I'll be practicing hard for this tourney. I sure would like to show Keith some respect, this time and give him what he came there for.(a Game)

Thanks for the kind words,

Regards,

C.C.~~a Steve Lipsky/ Gina Kim fan for life....

Wally_in_Cincy
06-01-2004, 11:08 AM
CC,

I think I have solved your mystery. I heard that Wonder Dog has stolen Fast Larry's credit cards and is running amok.

HTH

Kato
06-01-2004, 11:15 AM
Chris, as far as the first guy goes. Forget that deal. NO GOOD.

As far as the second goes. Someone is being very generous and caring. That person will probably be there (I'll be there but I didn't put up the bread) and will enjoy watching you play.

Third thing, last year was not your true speed. You were sick and weak, we all saw that physical condition. We all also saw that you had the heart of a champion.

Listen Chris, I'm not around the board very much because I've basically stopped playing. I will however be in Virginia in September to see one of my favorite people in action, Chris Cass. I'm hoping to see Spike and K-Mom, 2 more people that I adore there as well.

So get to steppin' big brother, get your game where you want it to be and kick some butt. Ain't nobody gotta beat you in that tournament.

Kato

Chris Cass
06-01-2004, 11:25 AM
Hi Popcorn,

I declined and told him, "I think you misunderstud me? I was looking for a sponsor not a loan, a backer nor a hand-out." I was merely setting things right. I know about selling out and I'm not a sellout. Some players sellout all the time and some don't. Some need to but although, I am not finacially prepared for many events I do and have paid my way most of my life. It's easier than to have a cloud over your head.

The Open, even if I did take it off? It's not about the money with me. It's about the prestige of playing the event. It's about competeing with some of the best players in our sport and lastly, it's about the pride I have for this game. The love I have to this mysterious woman I've been obsessed with all my life. It's about dreams. Someone wanting my dreams to come true is so gut wrenching. My wife is one of these people. I might not win and I might not cash but I will give everything I have to give.

Regards,

C.C.

Chris Cass
06-01-2004, 11:32 AM
Sounds good Scott. Except the part about the a$$ wooping. I think Philly did a good enough job on me. LOL

Regards,

C.C.~~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris Cass
06-01-2004, 11:37 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr>
(In my best Pool Detective voice:) It was probably just a friend who maybe won the lottery or something and had a little cash to spare. Ain't nothing wrong with doing a good deed with "free" money!
Love,
a bunch <hr /></blockquote>

You call yourself a pool detective? Well, you can work the office and answer phones. You have a sweet voice and great looks for those coming in. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Love ya too,

C.C.~~lottery? Bahhhhaaaa hummm, a double Agent? Naa, just paranoia. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Chris Cass
06-01-2004, 11:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> CC,

I think I have solved your mystery. I heard that Wonder Dog has stolen Fast Larry's credit cards and is running amok.HTH <hr /></blockquote>

Hi Wally,

Keep working on your detective skills buddy. Oh BTW, that dog you've been tailing for days, is not the wonderdog and the owner called. He wants him back. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C.~~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Tom_In_Cincy
06-01-2004, 11:55 AM
Whoa Chris, you've got "Way too many" good things happening in your life to waste time on any 'bad' emotions.

Even this thread and all the posters have been nothing but 'positive' responses.

Oh, and by the way.. I need 12-4 and you need to also play "6 no count" in our next 1P match... I promise to make it interesting. LOL

How about your next thread having a title of "Now I'm Really Happy"?

Pool Detective#3

Chris Cass
06-01-2004, 11:59 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Doctor_D:</font><hr>
Good morning Chris:

If you do compete in the US Open in September, and would be willing to wear the Billiards Workbook Logo Pin, we could talk about some additional sponsorship $$$. If you might be interested.
Dr. D.
<hr /></blockquote>

Hi Dr. D.,

I wasn't very nice in my posting on your book review. I thought you were only in it for the money. I guess I was looking for someone with a warm hello, instead of a business person. I've seemed to have misjudged you. I imagine with all that was going on in the booth and trying to get things off the ground can be consuming.

This I appologize for. Your sponsorship offer proves this. Even the smallest sponsorship means a lot. It show's you not in it, just for the money. I was wrong. Now, if you choose not to say another word about it then, I'll respect that and nothing said otherwise.

I would like to say, I think it's admirable of you to turn the other cheek and I too have learned something. I would like very much to wear your logo type pin. What ever the deal you offer is welcomed and will not go further than us. I do have to tell you my last sponsor, Joe. Had me carrying a 2 1/2' x 4' sign, "Eat At Joes" was way too heavey. LOL Hoped you laughed at that one. It's the three stooges.

Thanks Dr.D.,

C.C.~~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Doctor_D
06-01-2004, 12:04 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Doctor_D:</font><hr>
Good morning Chris:

Dr. D.
<hr /></blockquote>

Hi Dr. D.,

I wasn't very nice in my posting on your book review. I thought you were only in it for the money. I guess I was looking for someone with a warm hello, instead of a business person. I've seemed to have misjudged you. I imagine with all that was going on in the booth and trying to get things off the ground can be consuming.

This I appologize for. Your sponsorship offer proves this. Even the smallest sponsorship means a lot. It show's you not in it, just for the money. I was wrong. Now, if you choose not to say another word about it then, I'll respect that and nothing said otherwise.

I would like to say, I think it's admirable of you to turn the other cheek and I too have learned something. I would like very much to wear your logo type pin. What ever the deal you offer is welcomed and will not go further than us. I do have to tell you my last sponsor, Joe. Had me carrying a 2 1/2' x 4' sign, "Eat At Joes" was way too heavey. LOL Hoped you laughed at that one. It's the three stooges.

Thanks Dr.D.,

C.C.~~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Good afternoon Chris:

No offense was taken and I am sorry that the work load in our booth at the Super Billiards Expo prevented me from spending more time with you when you stopped by.

As for the US Open, my offer still stands. Please drop me either an E-Mail or a PM and I will share with you what I have in mind.

Dr. D.

9 Ball Girl
06-01-2004, 12:08 PM
Go for it Chris! You'll be right alongside with Gerda Hoffstater! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris Cass
06-01-2004, 12:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Doctor_D:</font><hr>
Good afternoon Chris:

No offense was taken and I am sorry that the work load in our booth at the Super Billiards Expo prevented me from spending more time with you when you stopped by.

As for the US Open, my offer still stands. Please drop me either an E-Mail or a PM and I will share with you what I have in mind.

Dr. D.
<hr /></blockquote>

Dr. D.,

Have you ever seen really red cheeks? You should see mine.

C.C.~~will do.

Sid_Vicious
06-01-2004, 12:42 PM
"I will however be in Virginia in September to see one of my favorite people in action, Chris Cass. I'm hoping to see Spike and K-Mom, 2 more people that I adore there as well."

Chris,

What Kato expressed above so elequently is enough for me to decide "yes, I'll play." I can't figure or calculate accurately someone's motive in backing you, BUT seeing how life itself can change totally, meaning that either one of us could be unable to play this game at all due to unforeseen occurances, God forbid, you should really consider taking the opportunity. Let me tell ya something, you've won the biggest game already, you are a surviver to no end. Please consider putting yourself into the Open, and letting your family see you enjoy yourself(main and important!) Chances like this one are rare Friend, screw the emotioms of being carried, and PLAY! don't sweat the small stuff.

This pool culture is a much different arena from most every other sport,,,you get to mix it up with all of the world class players, and yet we all here on this board have the absolute pride in having you presenting yourself. How bout looking at it like a horse would(Smarty Jones.) Smarty was so badly injured in a starting gate once, pushed his eye far back into his head, and counted out by all practical thinkers. Well, that damn horse musta said "I AIN'T DONE YET!" cuz he's totally outran every horse down the stretch in the first two legs of the Triple Crown, decisively! "Will you fall 2-out, maybe draw Efren right off and get clobbered?" There ain't but one way to know, and like I said earlier, chances like this are rare, time is precious.

I'm totally outside of the loop on who did or did not foster you by paying your entry fee, but given the chance I'd gladly add some cash for ya, and I'll venture to guess that many others would as well, heck wear a CCB patch, we'd be proud as all git. If anyone wants to shelve the anon money and start an entry pool for CC, let's all do it, and have the anon's MC reimbursed. What'd it take, really? Fifty between 10 of us, 25 for 20 of us? I nightly toss 50 in other people's pockets on any given night gambling, and I dislike many of them to start with. Hell CC, you're an inspiration, don't fight it, give the world your game at the open, make us posters saturate ourselves with what's happening at the open, cuz "our guy" is there proving that nobody is ever out unless they decide they are out. "Unless THEY decide."

Hope this rhetoric doesn't make you angry Chris, my main gut feling is that you are a loved child of God here, you have surpassed FAR more obstacles than this worry of "why somebody is paying my way" and I truly wish that things do change and you accept a berth in this event.

I am not against Popcorn's advice, I actually agreed as I read it until I read Kato's message. Heidi and Spike will be an important audience, as will be I(remotely in No TX.) Remember, "You aint done yet."

Run the race Chris!

Sincerely,
Sid

9 Ball Girl
06-01-2004, 12:47 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr>Please consider putting yourself into the Open, and letting your family see you enjoy yourself(main and important!)<hr /></blockquote>Yeah! And no more of that "I was a little tired when I played" like last year. I want you to go out there and show 'em what you've got! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif Give 'em hell Rydell! Oh wait, that's from Grease. Anyway, you get the picture!

Wendy&lt;---will be sweating Chris' matches...again! /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

RedHell
06-01-2004, 12:48 PM
OK, here's my 2 cents and my question...

Chriss I think you are doing the right thing by forgetting that rich and lonely man. His offer wasn't the right one and you were right to ask. If you hadn't asked you would have never known.

As for the current anonymous sponsor, I think it's great. But I can see how hard it could be to just accept and go. I believe that I would like to know who is sponsoring me and would agree to keep it anonymous once informed.

As for my question, not regarding your sponsorship, but in general. Would a sponsor be out of line to agree to sponsor someone and request a re-imbursement if the player makes it in the money ?

What I mean is, if you sponsor in exchange of product endorsement I can understant that it would be out of line, but if you do it just out of generousity, would it be a fair agreement between a player and a sponsor ?

Just looking for general oppinion here, again, none of this relates to Chris' case ! (ohhh whatta pun !!!)

SPetty
06-01-2004, 12:54 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr>(In my best Pool Detective voice:) blah blah<hr /></blockquote>Well, you can work the office and answer phones.<hr /></blockquote>HAHAHA - and that my friend is what makes me such a great pool detective. I've even got you fooled! I don't look the part and don't act the part. No one gets suspicious of me! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Chris Cass
06-01-2004, 01:07 PM
Hi Sid,

You should be a coach. LOL Thanks buddy, and a CCB type logo will be a good thing on my case. I have one and new too.

Regards,

C.C.~~happy as all get out. a Texas expression. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris Cass
06-01-2004, 01:09 PM
Hi Dr. D.,

As I said, I will say nothing but I just do have to say.

WOW, your by no means cheap! That was the best. Thank you Dr. D.

Regards,

C.C.~~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Steve Lipsky
06-01-2004, 01:29 PM
Hey Chris, it's been a pretty good last 12 hours for you, huh? /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

- Steve

Voodoo Daddy
06-01-2004, 01:38 PM
I read all the blah-blah...all the take it/dont take it. Just remember I will never hurt you ever with my words or actions. Never take backing from anyone or depend on anyone ever. Put that bankroll together and forge foward on your own because in the grand scheme of things...its all up to you anyway.

Chris Cass
06-01-2004, 01:53 PM
Hi RedHell,

Forget the first guy. That's not happening. That's not what this sport is about anyway. Just some think it's all about money, it's not.

Now, would a sponsor be out of line if the sponsor had no return? No and yes. It all has to do with what the sponsor is sponsoring. What does the sponsor require from the sponsorship money?

This particular sponsor isn't about a return and is about the sport and about friendship. Could be the sponsor wants to give back something from what he feels he owes to the sport or players. Not that he's required to but more like what his heart is telling him. Maybe, he just wants to make an old mans dreams a reality? Maybe, he know something I don't know? Like I'm gonna die? I sure hope that's not it. My God, I sure don't want to think about that.

Many sponsors want you to do a service that requires time. This is totally accepted. Some sponsor with cues to play with as a form of advertising their product. Some require you talk to players one on one about their particular events or products. Something like the player to player contact.

Many events that are long and the booth operaters are always busy and need to get a break or need to get something other than the food there at the event. These promotors spend countless hrs there at the event with not much sleep and are often short on people.

Take the offer I was offered by a friend of JimS'. I also know him too. He's offered me a sponsorship in the Valley Forge event in Pa. next yr along with room, gas and expenses. In return I work his booth with 4 others. That way he and all of us can play the event and still he won't lose out in sales. BTW, he told me he did near $20,000. for the event. He did work his tail off and this offer is a great sponsorship opportunity.

This kind of offer or some like them are all you can ask from a sponsor. Some major sponsors require less but all the same it's about representation. Many times you won't see pros gambling due to sponsorship agreements. That's only fair.

In any event, the player has to conduct himself or herself in a mannor that respects the sponsor, a respectable, professional mannor. This is why you see many strong shooters without sponsorship. Who in the world would want a be represented by a player that's swearing or fighting people in public? I'm truely surprized Earl has a sponsor. LOL

Anyway, to your question. Between the sponsors requirements and the players needs, falls the relationship. The WPBA women and the women tour players display many positive qualities that keep the sport alive. They might hate losing just as much as we do but you'll always see them happy for their opponents win.

Oh those seeking sponsorship should know that this pool world is a small place. So, respect the sponsor as it will be a plus or a minus. Also, never turn down a sponsor. Maybe an offer, but not a sponsor. Totally in my humble opinion.

Regards,

C.C.~~my new saying, "Take it on the chin, I'll be back again." /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris Cass
06-01-2004, 02:03 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Steve Lipsky:</font><hr> Hey Chris, it's been a pretty good last 12 hours for you, huh? /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

- Steve <hr /></blockquote>

Steve,

You have to know, yes it has. You know Steve, some forget you represent our board here too. You have been on my side all the way and you will be playing the Open too. I'm so glad to know you Steve. Like I said, your a class act and a true friend. Not to mention Champion. Your highly respected in our sport and I liked reading about you in Inside Pool. Boy aren't we a couple of coconuts. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C.~~forgot what I was mad about long ago. LOL /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris Cass
06-01-2004, 02:30 PM
Hi Steve,

It's so good to hear from you. I respect your wisdom and candor in this matter and believe you would never do anything to intentional hurt me or my family. Were like brothers me and you. I've for the most part, always went my own way and have been in some situations that required bag judgement but in this particular case. I think it's a good thing. Not the first guy but the second that actually paid my entry and without so much as a phone call. I think he know's he'd get a hard time. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks for the reply Steve. I'll talk to you soon,

C.C.

Barbara
06-01-2004, 02:53 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> "I will however be in Virginia in September to see one of my favorite people in action, Chris Cass. I'm hoping to see Spike and K-Mom, 2 more people that I adore there as well."

Chris,

What Kato expressed above so elequently is enough for me to decide "yes, I'll play." I can't figure or calculate accurately someone's motive in backing you, BUT seeing how life itself can change totally, meaning that either one of us could be unable to play this game at all due to unforeseen occurances, God forbid, you should really consider taking the opportunity. Let me tell ya something, you've won the biggest game already, you are a surviver to no end. Please consider putting yourself into the Open, and letting your family see you enjoy yourself(main and important!) Chances like this one are rare Friend, screw the emotioms of being carried, and PLAY! don't sweat the small stuff.

Run the race Chris!

Sincerely,
Sid
<hr /></blockquote>

Tap! Tap! Tap!!

Very well said, Sid!!!

Barbara

RedHell
06-01-2004, 03:36 PM
Chris,

Thanks for the reply, but my point was on a smaller scale than what you express. Here's my question differently put.

Let's say I hear you are looking for a sponsor for the entry fee of the DCC, and I come to you offering you the entry fee under one condition. If you're in the monies, it goes to me until you re-imburse the sponsorship. So let's say it's 500$ to get in and you make 250$ finnish, the 250$ is mine. If you get in the 1500$ finnish than you give me back the 500$ to get in and the rest is your.

Would you think this is a reasonable offer ?

It's kinda of a loan under conditions...

Obviously I'm just wondering this, I can't spare any sponsorship money nor can I put up the skills to get one /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

cheesemouse
06-01-2004, 03:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Cheesemouse is one who created a happy outlook and I'm sure enjoys his life.

...I want to live like the cheese.
<hr /></blockquote>

Chris,

I just read this whoooole thread and I think it is just great. This anonymous benefactor obviously knows what most of us know, that being, you are the real deal. Your not just a good guy but a genuine class act who has touched many of us with your wonderful family and the giant heart you demonstrated in the last year.

If you truley want to "live like the cheese" here is step #1.......Kick back and put a big smile on your ugly puss, enjoy this moment, and then get to work on your game...LOL

I think this person who paid your entry has all ready gotten their moneys worth. What a nice jesture. I am very happy for you. Play well good buddy.

tateuts
06-01-2004, 03:43 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> I haven't read any of the other responses so I don't know what they had to say but here is what I think. It was a very bad idea to even consider accepting his offer, even if it was real. <hr /></blockquote>

Popcorn,

Would you feel the same way if it was a gift from a friend? I think this is a special gift from a friend of Chris' and I don't see a problem in accepting a gift from a friend under the circumstances.

Chris

Ralph S.
06-01-2004, 03:50 PM
Hey there Cassman. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I have put alot of thought into this post of yours. I personally think that you need to play the Open. The "mystery sponsor", seems to think very highly of you and care about you much. While I am not on the detective list, I am sure I know who the mystery sponsor is. I have narrowed to a short list of three people.

You can cross off Barry and Barbara. I don't think either is the mystery sponsor, although they do have very kind hearts. I may be wrong, but am fairly certain it is not them. I wll give you a clue as to who I think it is. Like I said, my list is of three candidates. The clue is that they actual mystery sponsor is a CCB ACTIVE POSTER. Should you wish to see my short list, pm me and I will send it to you. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

PS: of the three I am leaning very heavily towards one.

stickman
06-01-2004, 04:07 PM
Chris, feel good in knowing this: I AM ALWAYS RIGHT! One time I thought I was wrong, but I was only mistaken. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

We're all rooting for you my friend.

Karatemom
06-01-2004, 04:16 PM
To answer everyone's question, "Will Spike and Heide be there?"

NO, we won't.

Heide

Barbara
06-01-2004, 04:22 PM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

And double rats!!

Barbara

9 Ball Girl
06-01-2004, 04:29 PM
Waaaaaaaaa!!!!!

Wendy&lt;---I'm gonna miss my little guy... /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Popcorn
06-01-2004, 05:11 PM
I was referring to the guy he was telling the story about. Yes, I think he should accept the gift of the entry in the sprit it was given. Often the one providing the gift gets more out of it in satisfaction then the recipient.

dg-in-centralpa
06-01-2004, 05:18 PM
C.C. - After meeting with you at VF, I got the feeling you're like me, very humble. If I do good in a tourney, I got some lucky rolls. Ya know? Obviously you have someone who respects you as a person and your game to do this for you. Gifts are just that, a gift. This person(not me), doesn't want anything in return. Maybe you did something for someone that this is their way of repayment, something to make you happy. With all you've been through, why not accept the gift and kick their a$$ at the Open. I can't make it, but I will be rooting for you, my friend. Two and out or cash in, you're still a champion to me and many others here. Good Luck!

DG - looking forward to seeing you next year at VF

Barbara
06-01-2004, 05:44 PM

This means it's Barry. Now Barry, you know I have the utmost respect for you and I think about you constantly. To be totally and brutally honest. I'm no champion. I'm just a average guy that loves the game. I can run out occasionally and my mind thinks I'm good. I'm not.<hr /></blockquote>

<font color="red">And this is what Barry sent to me when I told him of this thread:</font color>

I don't know what to say about this, but it was not me!
someone else deserves the credit here not me. I wish I had done it though. That is one great guy! I guess everyone loves him.

I hope Chris just accepts this persons offer and kicks butt!

<font color="red">So that's another suspect down, right CC?

Geez Louise!! Just fuggedabout who done the thing and get to practicing and KICK SOME ASS!!!</font color>

Barbara~~~may have to alter travel plans...

PQQLK9
06-01-2004, 06:16 PM
t'wernt i (that's southern for "It Wasn't I")

It wasn't me either /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
My thanks to your benefactor and you know I am rootin fer ya.

Chris Cass
06-01-2004, 07:04 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote RedHell:</font><hr> Chris,

Thanks for the reply, but my point was on a smaller scale than what you express. Here's my question differently put.

Let's say I hear you are looking for a sponsor for the entry fee of the DCC, and I come to you offering you the entry fee under one condition. If you're in the monies, it goes to me until you re-imburse the sponsorship. So let's say it's 500$ to get in and you make 250$ finnish, the 250$ is mine. If you get in the 1500$ finnish than you give me back the 500$ to get in and the rest is your.

Obviously I'm just wondering this, I can't spare any sponsorship money nor can I put up the skills to get one /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Duh,

I'm sorry Red, as you can tell my reading comprehention is bad too. Ok, I got it now. This is what I personally think. It may not be what you or anyone has in mind but here goes.

I think that's a generous offer. The sponsor isn't asking for a cut of the profit but merely recoop their entry money back. However I also think it would be nice to be able to discuss this before going in. Many times the money places are high and the shooter breaks his but trying to place atleast 4th to break even trip wise w/expenses. Like the gas, tolls, room, food and finally the entry fees. Table time money included.

In this case of the DCC tourney. That entry fee in the buy back situation and all the events are expensive. I would have to save the money for the entry fees and use that in a way that could make me money in other things. Then, use the entry fees the sponsor gives you to go to the entry fees only.

You have to make money to cover your losses so, lets say there's a cal then, you take your money you saved for the entry and buy yourself. That would be yours. You could find action also that's if you do that stuff. There's many ways to make money at these type events but if you make a deal with the sponsor, than I say keep it. Who knows? They may do it in everything?

Yes, it's a good deal. I know many shooters that go to many events. They're all from here and do something simular. They all make savers in which I don't like and would never do myself. But lets say Jamie Baracks and Lee Haywagon go to a tourney. Now, both shooters are going to be in the top paid spots. It's to their liking to split everything down the middle. Sometimes they might wait to do something like that while their in the top 4 spots to come out a little on expenses. That odviously has nothing to do with the cal people. Now, when the cal is more for the lesser player that's when that crap gets mighty shady. Not that they would do something like that but you get my point.

Regards,

C.C.~~sounds like a fair and reasonable offer for the entry fee.

Barbara
06-01-2004, 07:34 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote RedHell:</font><hr>
As for my question, not regarding your sponsorship, but in general. Would a sponsor be out of line to agree to sponsor someone and request a re-imbursement if the player makes it in the money ?

What I mean is, if you sponsor in exchange of product endorsement I can understant that it would be out of line, but if you do it just out of generousity, would it be a fair agreement between a player and a sponsor ?

Just looking for general oppinion here, again, none of this relates to Chris' case ! (ohhh whatta pun !!!) <hr /></blockquote>

Red,

This reminds me of a situation between a former WPBA Pro and her so-called sponsor. He would "sponsor" her the money to a WPBA event, but she had to pay him back - with no interest, but had to pay him back, nonetheless. I call that a "no interest loan", not sponsoring!! What a cheap b$st$rd he was, because he could afford to do what he did!!

When you sponsor someone, you don't ask for your money back.

Well, I learned a lot from this former Pro - especially table manners and general pool courtesy and honesty in the game. Her name is Linda Haywood Shea. She is one classy player.

Barbara

Jimmy B
06-01-2004, 08:00 PM
I haven't read all the responses yet but IMO you have no right to talk about this guy here on the group. He may be an ass or a big mouth but he isn't here and has no way to defend himself about anything you say about him. Also if I read the story right YOU asked him to sponsor you, he didn't offer. I know how bad the pool room people are at asking for hand outs and I don't blame him for asking for collateral on loans, seems to me you might like to egg him on when he's talking money. I for one wouldn't let anyone put me in any tournament and the fact that I could or couldn't win it has no bearing. I think if someone wants to make an offer to put you in a tournament it's on you to accept or not but I don't think getting offended at why they do it should come into it. As I've already said I wouldn't want anyone putting me in a tournament but if it's the only way you'd play then do it and shut up about it;-)

JB

Troy
06-01-2004, 08:52 PM
C.C.
I've been thinking about your post all day while at "work" at the pool room. The more I thought about it, the more I changed my mind. Then I got home and saw Popcorn's post, and damn, that's the same conclusion I came to. You have to be your own man...Period... Maybe he was "kidding" about putting your "Boti" up as collateral, likely he wasn't. Either way, a true "sponsor" would NEVER treat you that way. The bottom line -- Shine him on !!! If you're destined to play in the Open, a way will be found.

Troy...~~~ Tell him to put it where the sun don't shine !!!

Troy
06-01-2004, 08:59 PM
Very few ever get a true "SPONSOR" without asking. What was offered in return is NOT an offer of sponsorship. In this case, it sounds like it would come down to selling the 'Boti for the entry fee and that's a bad deal.

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jimmy B:</font><hr> I haven't read all the responses yet but IMO you have no right to talk about this guy here on the group. He may be an ass or a big mouth but he isn't here and has no way to defend himself about anything you say about him. Also if I read the story right YOU asked him to sponsor you, he didn't offer. I know how bad the pool room people are at asking for hand outs and I don't blame him for asking for collateral on loans, seems to me you might like to egg him on when he's talking money. I for one wouldn't let anyone put me in any tournament and the fact that I could or couldn't win it has no bearing. I think if someone wants to make an offer to put you in a tournament it's on you to accept or not but I don't think getting offended at why they do it should come into it. As I've already said I wouldn't want anyone putting me in a tournament but if it's the only way you'd play then do it and shut up about it;-)

JB <hr /></blockquote>

Troy
06-01-2004, 09:09 PM
SIGN ME UP... I'M IN !!!

We gotta get Heide and Spike there too folks !!!

Troy's Cue Repair
San Jose, CA

Karatemom
06-01-2004, 09:34 PM
Heide and Spike ain't goin'. Heide doesn't want to take a week off of work when I've already posted dates off for October for Chicago. As for Spike, starting 7th grade off being gone for a week doesn't sit well with me at all. The only family he'll have there is you all.

Rod
06-01-2004, 11:10 PM
Chris I didn't read all of these posts except the ones from Brady. You have a friend that just wants to see you in the open. Perhaps that person will be there also and possibly the first time.

You could ask Brady if its ok to say the reason why you were entered, like is this person just offering their help as a kind gesture? What ever it takes to make you feel right about the situation or just pass if necessary.

I have been entered in a number of tournaments some time ago and still get asked once in a while now. No strings attached but I always throw some doe there way if I win. Don't get me wrong I'd just as soon pay but sometimes I might say, no thanks I haven't been playing all that much. That is when someone might want to pay my way. These days it's more likely to happen in scotch. I give a 100 percent either way and it forces me out to practice to get better prepared.

Rod

Chris Cass
06-01-2004, 11:54 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jimmy B:</font><hr> I haven't read all the responses yet but IMO you have no right to talk about this guy here on the group. He may be an ass or a big mouth but he isn't here and has no way to defend himself about anything you say about him. Also if I read the story right YOU asked him to sponsor you, he didn't offer. I know how bad the pool room people are at asking for hand outs and I don't blame him for asking for collateral on loans, seems to me you might like to egg him on when he's talking money. I for one wouldn't let anyone put me in any tournament and the fact that I could or couldn't win it has no bearing. I think if someone wants to make an offer to put you in a tournament it's on you to accept or not but I don't think getting offended at why they do it should come into it. As I've already said I wouldn't want anyone putting me in a tournament but if it's the only way you'd play then do it and shut up about it;-)

JB <hr /></blockquote>

Well Well,

Let me first say this Jimbo. One, I don't say anything about anyone, I wouldn't say to their face.

A sponsor will pay money and expect a service. A backer puts up the cash and takes all losses. A loan is a loan. I don't blame you for thinking the way you do Jimmy. Life was roses when I was 21 too. BTW, will you be holding up a sign for me at the Open?

Regards,

C.C.

Popcorn
06-02-2004, 01:28 AM
Don't get me wrong, he should by all means accept the offer to play from the anonymous benefactor. I don't question their motives at all, I believe it is sincere. And I don't in any way feel he is compromising his dignity by accepting.

Chris Cass
06-02-2004, 02:28 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote RedHell:</font><hr> Chris,

Obviously I'm just wondering this, I can't spare any sponsorship money nor can I put up the skills to get one /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Wow Red,

I get something new out of your post everytime I read it. You said ME.

Well, hypothetically speaking. If the money had to be paid back regardless of loss. Than that is a lone and I would be honored you came to me with the offer but I would decline.

Now, if you came to me and didn't want the money back if I lost and only when I win anything? Then, I would decline unless it was annonamus. As in my delemma.

My reasoning is one that's easy to understand. If you wanted to make a loan even without interest then that would not be a deal to me.

If you took the loss and wanted the money back even the win up to $500. then, I would decline. I would have to give you back the entry minus 5% for jelly.(for doing all the work.) I'm not a charity case. Some know of me but don't know me.

The annon, will be forced into the second case and would have to go by my terms. I'm no charity case.

Regards,

C.C.~~has never valued money more than the sport itself. I want only a players best game. I think it's a form of disrespect if I don't deliver mine. My first Open I competed in I was only 6mths out of the hospital after major surgery. I knew I couldn't compete but still paid the $500. and played. Because, it's something I have to do. I knew I'd lose. I don't like the pressure of someone elses money in the box with me. Others don't care and that's why the backers are hard to find. Sponsors are even harder. It's the common thug that could care less about someone elses doe. That's what makes this sport so tough coming up. They all want to steal. Our black eye. The backers are getting just as bad. They want to make money and the shooter do all the work. They wouldn't even throgh the shooter money if they didn't have to and some side betters don't, plain and simple.

highsea
06-02-2004, 03:25 AM
Chris, I would like to add my .02, if I may.

You seem a little uncomfortable about this, and I don't think the person who paid your entry intended that. I think he or she was trying to do something nice for someone they like.

I also agree with popcorn that the gift should be accepted in the spirit it was given, i.e. no strings attached. If the person wanted recognition or payback, they would not have done this anonymously.

So instead of worrying about paying it back, consider "paying it forward", as the saying goes.

Sometime in your future you'll have the opportunity to help someone out. By doing so, the good will expressed to you can be repaid to someone else, right? It doesn't have to be money, maybe you can spend some time with a young player that needs some help. Who knows? That part's up to you to decide.

The important thing is that one good deed then becomes two. You can't tell that person to pay you back, because it didn't start with you. He will have to pay it forward also. And so on. No one gets their feelings hurt, because no one expects to be paid back. Who knows how many people could benefit from one good deed passed on?

And for yourself, just play your heart out, and know there are a lot of people here cheering for you.

Anyway, that's one way you can pay back your (secret) sponsor. I know you will do what you think is right.

-CM

bluewolf
06-02-2004, 03:47 AM
Refering to the anonymous person, that sounds like a person with no agenda. It sounds like someone who wants to do something good, chose you because you are a good person and a player, has no strings attached. Heck, this person does not even want recognition, just contributing to the sport and by helping you to participate, it also helps pool.

Think nothing of it. An anonymous gift is without agenda or ego. IMO.

Laura

Rich R.
06-02-2004, 04:37 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr>Well, I learned a lot from this former Pro - especially table manners and general pool courtesy and honesty in the game. Her name is Linda Haywood Shea. She is one classy player. <hr /></blockquote>
Tap, Tap, Tap.
Linda is a real class act and you will never meet a nicer person. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SPetty
06-02-2004, 07:53 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ralph S.:</font><hr>I am sure I know who the mystery sponsor is.

The clue is that they actual mystery sponsor is a CCB ACTIVE POSTER.<hr /></blockquote>I thought about this a little late last night, and it's quite possible that it's not even someone who's heard of the CCB. Chris has many friends from many places, not just here. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Chris Cass
06-02-2004, 07:56 AM
Hi Highseas,

I do now and I have accepted the generous offer. I don't want anyone to get the wrong impression. I made plans to go to the Open long before this. I work at the ph on the counter and the money I make goes towards my fees. I had $400. saved already from working, small tourney events, a backing and matches. I did screw it up on a bad decision when gambling last weekend but nothing I can't put back togather.

I have many people who would back me. In tourneys, gambling and I could always walk into a bar and win easy money. I chose not to do this long ago. Been there and chose to take a wife and have a family. Been paying it forward for yrs already.

I help three guys as it stands. One is Slip. He makes Voodoo look like a lil $hit. Then, there's Frenchy. He's a janitor for the school sys and makes about $35k a yr. Then, there's Mel. He a young bro that can run you into the ground with his constant woofing. LOL

These guys would do anything at the drop of a hat for me. They've told me. I could easily get money from all three with a lifetime payback or make them backs too. I chose to teach them how to play and how the sport should be played.

Funny, how these men even go to tourneys with me and my wife and son. Did you ever hear of something like that? When I work the counter I'll steer young people to the cheapest way to play. Some will argue and I'll give them a rental table to find out later they thank me for trying.

I see them come in with 6 people and want to rent a table. It's $7.50hr for 2 or more players. They all play togather. I tell them they have to shoot 8 games to break even per hr. Then, I tell them they can pump quarters in the dollar tables and take all the time they need.

See, they way I work. I help everyone, when they see I'm looking out for their better interest than they return it with respect. Also, they keep coming back. Jim Parker ran his place like that at IL Billiard Club. Not every pool player is out to take your money.

How many bosses you know that hug you when you come into work everyday? I must be doing something right. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Yes, paying it forward is what I believe is the only way to go.

I know this is off subject but yrs ago all the real players wouldn't show you anything. They did this because that would be one more person that might be a possible force to be reckoned with later, come gambling time.

I've found out throuhg the yrs that the more you help people it comes back to you. I had to pay for my lessons with a beating till I was strong enough to win it back. I pay things forward because I want to give something back to the sport, to keep it alive, in my own little way. My only stipulation is they learn the right way and not the way I've had to, in backrooms, w/hustlers and cheats.

I have many that ask for lessons, I refuse. There's some that I mentor. I choose to teach children ages 3-12. This way I can shape their minds and change the way they think of pool for the future. This is my specialty.

Thanks for your thoughts,

C.C.~~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris Cass
06-02-2004, 07:59 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr><hr /></blockquote>I thought about this a little late last night, and it's quite possible that it's not even someone who's heard of the CCB. Chris has many friends from many places, not just here. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Just one, "YOU", you cute little bug. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

C.C.~~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Rich R.
06-02-2004, 09:48 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> Hi Dr. D.,

As I said, I will say nothing but I just do have to say.

WOW, your by no means cheap! That was the best. Thank you Dr. D.

Regards,

C.C.~~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/ooo.gif <hr /></blockquote>
Chris, I think you will find that Dr. D is a class act and she does things right. You have a good sponsor. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Also, Dr. D is not getting short changed here. She is backing a winner. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jimmy B
06-02-2004, 07:56 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Troy:</font><hr> Very few ever get a true "SPONSOR" without asking. What was offered in return is NOT an offer of sponsorship. that's a bad deal.

Troy
<hr /></blockquote>

This is wrong, many people who have a good shot to make money get deals all the time. [censored] I'll sponsor any one of at least 10 guys in the open, but Johnny, Efren, Earl, Busta, and guys who shoot that level already have people lined up to sponsor them. People who shoot CHris's speed don't get offers for sponsors and for good reason, they don't have a shot at top 10 finishes, I don't think saying this is an insult to the way Chris plays. I think Chris plays very good, but not US Open good and anyone who would even think about sponsoring him would be doing it just because they like him as a person and not his chances to win the thing. The thing is this guy may have money but he's not walking around looking for someone to sponsor, from Chris's story it was all his idea and maybe the way he put it the guy took it as asking for a loan. Either way no matter what happened the guy's counter offer (good deal or not) was as good or as bad as Chris's first offer and Chris had every right to decline, IMO he shouldn't get mad at the guy's offer, just say NO THANKS and move on. Again there may be 12-15 people who have a good shot at making money at the US Open everyone else who plays does it for the experience or to say they tried, IMO Chris should just be happy that someone likes him enough and take advantage of the experience, best case senario he can prove me wrong and win the whole thing.

JB

Jimmy B
06-02-2004, 08:06 PM
Well Well,

Let me first say this Jimbo. One, I don't say anything about anyone, I wouldn't say to their face.

A sponsor will pay money and expect a service. A backer puts up the cash and takes all losses. A loan is a loan. I don't blame you for thinking the way you do Jimmy. Life was roses when I was 21 too. BTW, will you be holding up a sign for me at the Open?

Regards,

C.C.

<hr /></blockquote>

First off I think you know I would be cheering for you and watch all of the matches you were in that I could. But that wouldn't change the fact that to me your story sounded like this was all your idea and money or no money I still don't think you have a right to get mad at a guy for his counter offer. I mean if he said it first (sponsorship) then I could see you being mad. You seem to be mad more because this guy is a loud mouth and isn't backing it up, if he likes to throw his money around and talk [censored] about how much he has then just tell him you don't care how much he has, don't buy into it and stroke his ego by asking for some of it. As far as saying it to his face it's not the issue, the issue was trashing a guy who doesn't come here or read here and can't defend himself. IMO he isn't a pool figure and he's not a BD Chat guy so bad mouthing him is a bit unfare. As far as life being roses when your 21 I might disagree, but things are pretty good right now and I'm a long ways from 21:-) Whatever you decide I'll be pulling for you, I think you know this.

JB

Chris Cass
06-02-2004, 11:22 PM
I'm sorry Jimmy, I don't think you are. I can tell by your reply to Troy. I know you have no respect for my game nor have you ever seen my game. Heck, you have no respect for me either. That's ok though, I don't need respect from anyone but my son and my wife.

I'm personal friends with Dave and Brandon Jacoby. They sponsor many players, Tony Zierman, Jesse Bowman and when I talked with Brandon about sponsoring Spike in the Jr. events he told me that. He doesn't need a top ten player to represent him and their company. What he wants is someone that is shooting with his cues and plays most of the events. He also looks for people that can conduct themselves in a professional mannor in public.

Do me a favor Jimmy. Don't sweat any of my matches. I can't allow myself to be around anything that's not positive. Hope you understand.

Regards,

C.C.

Jimmy B
06-03-2004, 02:32 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> I'm sorry Jimmy, I don't think you are. I can tell by your reply to Troy. I know you have no respect for my game nor have you ever seen my game. Heck, you have no respect for me either. <hr /></blockquote>

That's ridiculous and I'll just attribute it to the fact that the written word never really comes across as it's meant. I have great respect for you as a person and a player. I am aware that when I did get to see you play you were not instroke or even at your level. If you read my post you would have read where I said only about 10-15 people in the world have a real shot at making money at the Open. it's not a knock on you or your game, it's a sad fact that pro pool just doesn't have enough price money to cover the costs of playing in a tournament, even the best tournament (The US Open)even if you came in top 20 in the US Open you would lose money on the trip if you count all the expenses. My point is that sponsoring someone in a pro pool event is just not a money making deal. If you feel that by me saying you are not a top 20 player in the world is some type of an insult or knock then so be it, I'll still cheer for you and hope you do as well as you possible can and I still have respect for you as a person. For the record if I was looking for a spokesman I'd pick you over 95% of the top 100 players in the world, if the sponsorship deal is about character there is no contest, but my post was about making money on the deal and not good will or advertising. I don't have any negative feelings and I'll still cheer for you big guy, good luck with whatever you decide to do and I hope you prove me wrong and finish in the top 10.

JB

bluewolf
06-03-2004, 04:35 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jimmy B:</font><hr> . But that wouldn't change the fact that to me your story sounded like this was all your idea and money or no money I still don't think you have a right to get mad at a guy for his counter offer. <hr /></blockquote>

Now, maybe I am taking this out of context, but if I am reading you right, I respectfully disagree. I believe that everyone has a right to their emotions and Chris, IMO, is still here with us because he openly shares the spectrum of his emotions, including anger. Many here are his friends and I see nothing wrong with coming on here and sharing his anger among friends.

So what if the guy is not here to defend himself? I did not hear chris call him by name. I am glad that Chris shares like this. To me, it gives me and others a model of emotional health, not only as a great pool player, but a real person who because he is emotionally healthy, not holding onto resentments, shows us how to have peace and be a good person to boot.

Those who 'stuff their emotions' often become sick physically, even to the point of death.

That is after all, only my opinion.

Laura

Perk
06-03-2004, 06:14 AM
Chris,

Good day to you. I cant believe how far this post went from where I left it yesterday. An entry fee was posted as a donation. Go play the US Open. Play hard. If the money was a big deal to the individual that posted it, he/she would have contacted you and discussed the issues of it.

Heck the only problem I see is when you "snap" this thing off and win 20,000 or so, and a bunch of HIDDEN people come claiming they were the sponsors! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Actually, to me it seems that if you did win a bunch of money, then I could see it being awkward. Maybe you could play with the condition you find out who it is afterward? So you can rightfully thank them, and possibly square up something appropriate.

I just think you should play! Apparently so do a bunch of others, including a hidden sponsor. Good luck in your decision, and hit em well!

Troy
06-03-2004, 07:24 AM
IMO you simply do NOT understand the term SPONSOR !!!
For example, a NASCAR driver/team will have a multi-million dollar main sponsor plus numerous secondary sponsors. This done for advertising, good will, etc. Many, actually most of those drivers/teams will go all season and never win any major money.
Those SPONSORS have zero expectations of reimbursement.
It's simply called SPONSORSHIP.

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jimmy B:</font><hr>This is wrong, many people who have a good shot to make money get deals all the time. [censored] I'll sponsor any one of at least 10 guys in the open, but Johnny, Efren, Earl, Busta, and guys who shoot that level already have people lined up to sponsor them. People who shoot CHris's speed don't get offers for sponsors and for good reason, they don't have a shot at top 10 finishes...
JB <hr /></blockquote>

Barbara
06-03-2004, 07:39 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jimmy B:</font><hr>
People who shoot CHris's speed don't get offers for sponsors and for good reason, they don't have a shot at top 10 finishes, I don't think saying this is an insult to the way Chris plays. I think Chris plays very good, but not US Open good and anyone who would even think about sponsoring him would be doing it just because they like him as a person and not his chances to win the thing.
JB <hr /></blockquote>

Jimmy, just what is your problem? Just what are you getting at? You know, maybe this person just wants to give CC a chance to play in this event with the best in the world.

A tournament with this class of players is tough to win even for the very best of them, but it doesn't mean CC couldn't hack away at a few.

It takes a lot of courage to put your game up in this tournament. So get yourself comfortable in your VIP seat while you watch some real players play.

Barbara

Fred Agnir
06-03-2004, 07:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> I'm sorry Jimmy, I don't think you are. I can tell by your reply to Troy. I know you have no respect for my game nor have you ever seen my game. Heck, you have no respect for me either. That's ok though, I don't need respect from anyone but my son and my wife.<hr /></blockquote>I think a problem with this thread is that there are too many different issues. Sponsoring from a company is different than sponsoring from an anonymous person. Backing is different then either of these. And whether you're going out there to win or just to play isn't easily conveyed with words.

IMO, if you're planning on playing the US Open, then play. Forget about who fronted the entry fee. Since Brady knows so much about it, maybe he and/or Barry did it. The generosity was obviously not from the person who you originally were talking about. And frankly, I'm still not sure why you're mad at him, but maybe I needed to be part of the conversation to understand. Hopefully, you succeeded when you said <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cass:</font><hr>I just wanted him to keep his comments about how much money he has to himself.<hr /></blockquote> See, Chris, there's a bit of contradiction here. Did you want a sponsor or did you want him to shut up? If he did end up sponsoring you, then he'd never shut up about his money. Right?

BTW, I paid a women's entry fee for VF. I'm not a company. I have nothing to advertise. We didn't discuss split payments or anything. I just wanted her to play the event because I know that someone from my area is very capable of winning it. She came in 5-8th. Maybe some day, she'll thank me for helping here get there. That'd be nice.

Fred

Barbara
06-03-2004, 08:23 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jimmy B:</font><hr>My point is that sponsoring someone in a pro pool event is just not a money making deal. <hr /></blockquote>

Why does this have to be about making money? Why? What the hell is wrong with giving someone a chance to play in one of the biggest events there is?

Barbara

Troy
06-03-2004, 08:45 AM
Here's another example of what SPONSORSHIP means...

While gathering sponsors for a money added tournament, I was offering area businesses the ability to "BUY" a table. For their sponsorship, thay would hang a banner above the table light displaying their business name, etc. Also, numerous times during the tournament each sponsor was thanked individually over the PA.

None of these businesses expected a direct monetary return for their sponsorship.
They were a SPONSOR !!!

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jimmy B:</font><hr> My point is that sponsoring someone in a pro pool event is just not a money making deal.

JB
<hr /></blockquote>

Chris Cass
06-03-2004, 09:06 AM
See how ya are. Ya big lug. Now, if your not there I can't possible win. LOL I guarentee I'll finish in the top 10. Now, if there's 11 players than that guarentee is void. You understand. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BTW, if you do happen to read further down my postings from the beginning then you'll see my reconcidering what I said about this guy. I thought it was so ironic that I would receive an email regarding the same subject after that same day. Wierd stuff going on.

The top 5 players in our sport are the only ones that make money. Sponsorship comes in many forms as you know. Cues, butt savers or what ever that thing is that sponsors Buddy. Stuff like that. I'm sure they don't put Buddy in all the tourneys but they do something for his plite.

I think I have the best sponsor in the world already. She's working right now. Although my resumme isn't as worthy for sponsorship as many. It's one that a sponsor might concider for a minute. Pool in no way is a profitable venture. Most of these tourneys you'd be lucky to break even.

The real money is in products, entertainment and instruction. I could have easily asked this guy for a loan but that's what I don't need. I can put the money togather myself as for Vegas 2002 and Valley Forge.

When you hear, I'm this and I'm that everyday for a yr it just gets overwhelming. Like someone woofing at you everytime you walk in the door. I wouldn't be looking for a sponsor that's a retired anyway. If I was young I'd put togather a resumme and get a list of pros to first sponsor me. Then, I'd go and talk with the vendors for sponsorship.

In tournaments or gambling I've won against, Johnny Archer(gambling) he was younger, Jon Kucharo (gambling), Larry Nevel(tourney), Mark Wilson(tourney), Jamie Baracks(tourney w/Mark), Chad Vilmont(tourney), Jesse Bowman(tourney w/handicap though), Jeff Sargent(gambling), Joe Villapondo(gambling and tourney), Rocketman(gambling w/call 7), Whitey Walker(gambling giving up the 7 he was young) and some others so, I feel I can compete. I feel good about myself with these wins. These players I hold in high esteem. They're not Efren and I'm not 100% but my heart tells me to play.

I for the most part have never took backs. I don't feel good about stealing, so I don't enter many small events. I will now to get to the Open and I do know that my entry is Charity. My unknown sponsor in the event knows I would never take it if he came to me. I am very lucky to have such a friend and the attempt is enough to make me very happy. Whoever it is(Barry) thank you.

Regards,

C.C.~~thanks Jimmy, I was very hurt by what I read. If I didn't think you as one of my close friends, it wouldn't have phased me. Serious enough to reconcider turning down the offers. It's not easy getting pittied.

Chris Cass
06-03-2004, 09:22 AM
Thank you Laura. I am full of emotion and I do show it all, don't I.

Thank you again for your kindness,

C.C.

Chris Cass
06-03-2004, 09:24 AM
My thoughts exactly Perk. Thanks my friend.

Regards,

C.C.

Chris Cass
06-03-2004, 10:04 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> frankly, I'm still not sure why you're mad at him, but maybe I needed to be part of the conversation to understand. Hopefully, you succeeded when you said <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cass:</font><hr>I just wanted him to keep his comments about how much money he has to himself.<hr /></blockquote> See, Chris, there's a bit of contradiction here. Did you want a sponsor or did you want him to shut up? If he did end up sponsoring you, then he'd never shut up about his money. Right?
Fred <hr /></blockquote>

Hi Fred,

Yes, I did want him to shut up and I did want to see if all his talk was genuine or was he just a tight a$$. I would have turned him down for sponsoring me too. I would have told him I was good but wanted to see what he had to say.

What hurt was the way he said it to me and the tone of what he said. I did nothing but give to this man. I invite him everynite to play with my family when there's no other tables to play on. Even when my wife says, I can't take another nite of this.

What hurt so bad wasn't his rejection but his, look and reply to me. He jumped up out of his chair and yelled at me loud, as if I was a common 2 bit hustler trying to get in his pocket. I guess he really never knew me either. He's forever picking on Spike and I know he likes the kid but one day he put his famous death claw on Spike and made him cry. I quickly, made an excuse for him to make him not feel like he did something wrong and talked to Spike about it. He's a grandpa that doesn't have any children to play with.

Thanks Fred for making me realize what caused my pain. As we all know Anger follows pain. Since then I haven't asked him to join us and won't again. I don't walk around the ph and try to make money games. I don't try to hustle the customers either for him to talk to me that way. I will tackle a roady when they come in, but that's not often.

I promote a friendly and relaxing environment there working or not. I go out of my way to help everyone with not a word of something in return. It's very important to me what my son thinks of his Dad. I might not be here long and want his memories to be something to live by.

I guess what made it unclear is when I stated I was somehow interested in the sponsorship thing. It was just a thought that had entertained my mind as I've never thought of, for the reasons Jimmy pointed out. I'm just not good enough.

Regards,

C.C.~~Dr, Phil has nothing on Fred. Thanks my dear friend.

Jimmy B
06-03-2004, 05:29 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr>
Why does this have to be about making money? Why? What the hell is wrong with giving someone a chance to play in one of the biggest events there is?

Barbara <hr /></blockquote>
I think Fred said it best there are many issues here and I think they are getting mixxxxxed up a bit. The talk of money was to Troy's question about sponsorship. To me this is not in any way related to Chris's situation, a person who is sponsoring someone anonymously isn't doing it for any other reason then because they like and respect the person. It's not for any type of money because they are anonymous and won't get any return, it's not about advertisement because they are anonymous and nobody will know who they are. 2 different issues and I wish you'd try to follow which I am talking about. Maybe I should have started a new thread with one topic so that the things I said would not have been taken as a knock to Chris or anyone else. I won't address any other issues in this post so that they will not get confused. It's not about money, this was about a question asked about sponsorship.

JB

Jimmy B
06-03-2004, 05:46 PM
thanks Jimmy, I was very hurt by what I read. If I didn't think you as one of my close friends, it wouldn't have phased me. Serious enough to reconcider turning down the offers. It's not easy getting pittied. <hr /></blockquote>

I do consider you a friend and I in no way meant any disrespect. What I said wasn't a knock on your game it was just pointing out that this offer is due to you as a person and your character. My thoughts on sponsorship were directed towards Troy's questions about it and as you've said in this very post making money is never one of the reasons why people do it, pool just doesn't have enough money in it to make it worth while for these types of ventures. I think you have a great opportunity in front of you and I think you should jump all over it and make ME and the sponsor proud. Good luck and weather you like it or not I'm still pulling for you, and still think of you as a friend.

JB

06-05-2004, 05:10 AM
I feel that you should go play in the Open and don't concern yourself with who did this for you. Play hard, real hard but have fun and enjoy yourself. Good luck! Fred

RedHell
06-07-2004, 07:38 AM
Chris,

Thanks for taking time to respond to my post. I think I understand your point. The part that confirmed it is in your text post signature. You don't need the added pressure of playing with somebody else's money, if I understand you well. Plus as you stated yourself, you are no charity.

I believe the best is the thru sponsorship formula, product endorsement or service render. In my oppinion money should alsways be handle with a business attitude, and I don't know of any repectable business who gives away money. They all want something back in return, may it be representation or profits.

In any case, I will be by your side cheering for you !

BTW, for Jimmy who said that only 10 players or so have a shot at the money, I would like to remind him of Alain Martel who finnished 3rd at the WPC 2001 (if memory serves me). When you look at it all you need for a shot at the money is an entry fee and a good week !!!

Jimmy B
06-08-2004, 01:23 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote RedHell:</font><hr> BTW, for Jimmy who said that only 10 players or so have a shot at the money, I would like to remind him of Alain Martel who finnished 3rd at the WPC 2001 (if memory serves me). When you look at it all you need for a shot at the money is an entry fee and a good week !!! <hr /></blockquote>

I agree that people can come from nowhere and have a great week, last year it was KM. But lets do some math, what I said was that it's not a money making venture. SO add in the entry fee the week in the hotel meals and the expense of getting there (2 Day drive with a hotel stop or 2 and gas that runs $2.15 a gallon, or a plane flight and a rental car) You will need to finish in the top 5 to make any real money. It's not really my fault that there is no cash in Pro Pool, I'm just pointing out what I think is a bad thing. You'll always hear that guy who claims he got his money back after going a few rounds, well I doubt that guy really did the math as to what it cost him to get there and live for a week.

JB

Fred Agnir
06-08-2004, 06:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jimmy B:</font><hr> You'll always hear that guy who claims he got his money back after going a few rounds, well I doubt that guy really did the math as to what it cost him to get there and live for a week.

JB <hr /></blockquote>This is a good point. It might sound negative, but my standard saying is "I got my entry fee back." Which means that if that's all I got back, I ended up in the red zone. Saying nothing about other non-essential extra-curricular monetary activities.

Fred &lt;~~~ damned 48-1 horse

RedHell
06-08-2004, 02:27 PM
Well Jimmy, I understand what you're saying, I just understand the expression "a shot at the money" has making it to the paying rounds. Not making a profit out of the activity.

Does anyone knows how the field will be payed if they get all the players they expect ?