PDA

View Full Version : Can you run 15 with no cushion? Video and Article.

Colin
06-02-2004, 01:47 AM
Enjoy this article on the Ultimate Pool Drill where you have to run a rack without touching a cushion. There is also a video where you can see it done by the infamous Fast Larry.
http://www.top147.com/magazine/2004001/200400119183613.htm

Also, welcome to the new website which is www.cuezine.com (http://www.cuezine.com)

It is my own website based out of China with English and Chinese editions. It will contain regular tutorials and feature articles.

Regards,
Colin

bluewolf
06-02-2004, 03:31 AM
Hi Colin,

I had heard of this drill before from FL. Good luck to you on your magazine.

Laura

daviddjmp
06-02-2004, 08:47 AM
This drill is the finale to Jim Rempe's instructional tape on "How to Run A Rack In Straight Pool". It is not easy but it teaches you how to really control the cue ball and see patterns.

Frank_Glenn
06-02-2004, 10:15 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote daviddjmp:</font><hr> This drill is the finale to Jim Rempe's instructional tape on "How to Run A Rack In Straight Pool". It is not easy but it teaches you how to really control the cue ball and see patterns. <hr /></blockquote>

That's a good video. Here is an easier version, although it isn't easy. I do this two or three times a day (try to do it, that is). I usually make 13 or 14 out of 15 and occasinally get all 15. I do not stop when I miss or hit a rail, but shoot out the whole rack. I relace the missed ball or just drop it in the pocket and move on. Take ball in hand to start. I usually shoot the first ball as shown.

START(
%Ag6I6%Ba3I8%CN7O5%D[3I9%Eg5O5%F[4U5%G[5O8%Hg6U7%Ia5O6%JU5J1
%KU8U7%LU6O8%Ma5U5%NN8U6%ON8I8%Pf7Q6%Wa5J4%Xf0Q1%]\2D1%^`9I6
)END

http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/%7Ewei/pool/pooltable2.html

woody_968
06-02-2004, 10:49 AM
This is a great drill to help you learn pattern play, I have not done it as often as I should /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif I have only made it all the way through once or twice.

Colin
06-02-2004, 11:18 AM
Hi Laura,
Thanks for the encouragement:-)
Colin

Colin
06-02-2004, 11:22 AM
Hi Frank,
I like your drill.

Would be very helpful to anyone to from beginner to pro. The first 8 or so should be easy enough, but keeping the angles for the end will be a tough test!

I'd like to see a 10 ball version of that where they have to be potted in order. That would be tough.

Frank_Glenn
06-02-2004, 11:36 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Colin:</font><hr> Hi Frank,
I like your drill.

Would be very helpful to anyone to from beginner to pro. The first 8 or so should be easy enough, but keeping the angles for the end will be a tough test!

I'd like to see a 10 ball version of that where they have to be potted in order. That would be tough. <hr /></blockquote>

Thanks, Feel free to put it in your zine. I didn't invent it. Ken Baur on RSB told me about it. Yes, the first 6 or 8 are easy, but then if your pattern is wrong, you have no shot that you can make without banking or cueball touching a rail. I didn't say this in the original post, but <font color="red"> NO </font color> balls to a rail, no banks, no combos, cueball can only touch the ball you are shooting at.

bigbro6060
06-02-2004, 06:05 PM
um i was expecting to see the video actually on the website, streamed or available to download

what a crock

Popcorn
06-02-2004, 06:29 PM
Just click on the link he has and it is right there.

Rod
06-02-2004, 07:55 PM
They don't open for me either, no matter if there or saving it to disc. I just don't have anything that will play them. What are you using to play them? properties says its a "rar" file, never heard of it myself plus it has an icon with some scribble and a big red A in the bottom right corner. weird, oh well

Rod
06-02-2004, 08:03 PM
Frank,

When I do that drill, I just spread em out all over the table with none closer than 2" from a rail. Either way it will teach how valuable it is to play good position not to mention strategy.

Rod

Colin
06-02-2004, 09:32 PM
Hi Rod,

RAR files are compressed files. They work the same as ZIP files.

You'll need the WinRAR program to unzip the WMV file so you can play it on media player.

You can download WinRAR here:
http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm

It is a commonly used program so worth getting some practice at using it.

Good luck!
Colin

Rod
06-02-2004, 10:44 PM
Colin,

Thanks for your help but if I read this correct it is shareware. It is not something I wish to invest in to watch a few clips. Honestly it is the first time I ever experienced such format so to me it is not common. I might one day if I choose to take the time and I think it is necesary. BTW it looks like a nice site you created.

Rod

dmgwalsh
06-03-2004, 05:10 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote daviddjmp:</font><hr> This drill is the finale to Jim Rempe's instructional tape on "How to Run A Rack In Straight Pool". It is not easy but it teaches you how to really control the cue ball and see patterns. <hr /></blockquote>

I don't think it's exactly the same. I think Rempe said throw the balls out there, not too near the rail and not two touching. A little easier.

In real straight pool, when you get behind the rack to pick off balls you use the rails a lot to get out to the middle. With balls oall over the place, you might need the rails to get out.

Frank_Glenn
06-03-2004, 05:24 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dmgwalsh:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote daviddjmp:</font><hr> This drill is the finale to Jim Rempe's instructional tape on "How to Run A Rack In Straight Pool". It is not easy but it teaches you how to really control the cue ball and see patterns. <hr /></blockquote>

I don't think it's exactly the same. I think Rempe said throw the balls out there, not too near the rail and not two touching. A little easier.

In real straight pool, when you get behind the rack to pick off balls you use the rails a lot to get out to the middle. With balls oall over the place, you might need the rails to get out. <hr /></blockquote>

Of course you do. I use the rails and occasionally bank a ball when I play straight pool. The purpose of the drill is to refine the stun/stop shot and learn patterns. It also lets you shoot a structured setup and keep score to see if you are improving. If you do not keep score when you do drills, how will you ever know what to work on for weak areas? YMMV

dmgwalsh
06-03-2004, 06:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Frank_Glenn:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote dmgwalsh:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote daviddjmp:</font><hr> This drill is the finale to Jim Rempe's instructional tape on "How to Run A Rack In Straight Pool". It is not easy but it teaches you how to really control the cue ball and see patterns. <hr /></blockquote>

In real straight pool, when you get behind the rack to pick off balls you use the rails a lot to get out to the middle. With balls oall over the place, you might need the rails to get out. <hr /></blockquote>

Of course you do. I use the rails and occasionally bank a ball when I play straight pool. The purpose of the drill is to refine the stun/stop shot and learn patterns. It also lets you shoot a structured setup and keep score to see if you are improving. If you do not keep score when you do drills, how will you ever know what to work on for weak areas? YMMV <hr /></blockquote>

That's why I do the drill the way Rempe said. Throw the balls out, no two touching not too near the rail and try to run them without touching a rail. I've done it a few times. Even when I don't finish, it's good practice.

Setting up a break shot, breaking and then trying the drill would be quite a bit more difficult and depending on how the break went might be impossible.

On another note, I was trying equal offense the last two nights. 85, 111 and then 93. It really irks me when I follow a 14 or a 20 with a three or a four. i've been trying to concentrate on thinking three balls ahead, which I know you're supposed to do anyway. I've got into trouble several times with combinations below the rack area.