PDA

View Full Version : Bikes get a bad rap

bluewolf
06-03-2004, 04:52 AM
Whenever I talk about riding, I hear this bit about how dangerous motorcycles are and how many die. I say, look at how many die in automobile accidents every year. I have known bikers killed going 35 and those lived going 70, the same can be said of cars.

But then, I see VD signature and gremlin's 'I would rather die on my feet than to live on my knees'. I have only one life to live and would rather live it doing the things that are fun and die early than to live long and never do these things, living a life of caution and fear of everything dangerous.

After talking to my mom last night who my dad always said 'was scared of living and afeard of dying', and whitewolf is much the same way, but I am not like them. I guess everyone is different, but other than being kind, to me, my reason for life is to have as much fun as I can and to fill it to the fullest.

I do not want to come to the end of my life without doing all of the fun stuff out there and I really do think that bikes get a bad rap, as do mountain climbers, hang gliders etc.

i once knew a man who had a list of things he wanted to do before he died. Some things on my list.

To one day ride a harley
To hanglide
To do somemore white water rafting and kyacking
To bike across the european countries
To get good enough at skiing to go down dangerous slopes
To photograph on safari and see lions, elephants and wolves
To play pool when I am not busy doing the rest
To save siberians and malamutes one at a time

And my reason for starting this post? This is the NPF and I do not have to have a reason. HAHA

Laura

Wally_in_Cincy
06-03-2004, 06:20 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr> .....And my reason for starting this post? This is the NPF and I do not have to have a reason. HAHA

Laura <hr /></blockquote>

/ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I like the NPR. I can blather without offending anyone. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I was at the Indy 500 Sunday. During a rain delay they were showing on the Jumbotron some profiles of the drivers.

They showed Sam Hornisch Jr. who was fixing to get married and buying a house. Then they showed him riding his Harley. I thought that he should not be riding a bike and risking leaving his young wife as a widow. Then suddenly I remembered what he does for a living /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif.

I thought it was funny.

moblsv
06-03-2004, 08:27 AM
I ride motorcycles, yes they are dangerous but so are cars. Always wear a helmet and watch out for idiots.

Count me in the lived going 70 group. Hitting the road isn't what hurts you, it's hitting an object that stops you quickly that will kill you.

moblsv
06-03-2004, 08:34 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr>
To bike across the european countries
<hr /></blockquote>

Is that motorbike or bicycle? I always dreamed of a European bicycle trek and also coast-to-coast U.S. I have not done either but still hope to some day.

Popcorn
06-03-2004, 11:48 PM
The problem with much of that stuff is, it is superficial and will not provide someone with happiness they don't already have. You have to be doing that stuff for the right reasons and it needs to be more then just to say you have done it. Writers, artists and anyone who creates, get great satisfaction from what they do even if no one ever sees or reads it. You have to do things for strictly personal satisfactions. Even though you may have children and a mate, there have to be things you do that are just for you. We can spend a lifetime searching for happiness and never know it was right there all the time. It is up to each person to discover it themselves. My wife get mad at me all the time because I have things I like to do by myself. I feel blessed to be content with my own company so to speak. I feel bad that she doesn't have something like that herself. I can find some piece of junk on the side of the road, bring it home and take it apart and fix it like new, spending hours by myself doing it. No one ever has to see what I did for me to get pleasure out of it. The satisfaction is real and I feel, it something that is very hard to explain.

I will tell you a funny story. My mother-in law was always talking about taking a car trip across the country. When she turned 80 her and my wife rented a luxury car for a month and drove from Florida to California and back. They took a different route out and back so they could see as much as possible. When it was over she almost never mentioned the trip again. I think what I am trying to say is, the planing and thinking about the trip was the thrill. They were at the kitchen table for weeks planing where they would go and what they wanted to see. The trip as it turned out was in reality nothing. The thrill as it turned out was the two of them making the trip together. My wife and I used to travel a lot and we never liked the whirlwind types of trips. We spent three weeks camping at the Grand Canyon even going down into it. We remember the trip in every detail, it was what we really wanted to do, not to say we did it, but to really experience it as completely as we could. I spent a week at Niagara Falls. All I did was walk the falls looking at it from every angle and taking it all in. You have to do things that matter in some way to you, not just to say you did it. I was thinking about what I wrote and felt the need to come back and add something to it. Doing something for others and be very satisfying. I used to work with a feed the homeless program a few years ago. This was not just giving money but actually going out at 6am and preparing the food and serving them. There was nothing to it, this minister and myself just went and bought the food and went there and fed them. the city ended it because we were on public property but while it lasted it was an amazing experience. We got away with it for like three months. I think about it all the time, I have never been the same after that experience. There is a lot more to life the playing pool or riding a motorcycle. I consider what we were doing an almost selfish act we got so much back from it. What screwed it up was a newspaper guy wrote a story on us. I new this would be a bad thing but he did it anyway even though I asked him not to. The city offered us place to continue but it would have been impossible, it was 5 miles away. If you want to feed homeless people you have to go where they are, not some field in the middle of no where.

eg8r
06-04-2004, 06:36 AM
Popcorn,

I completely agree with everything you just said. I have never fed the homeless, however for the past few years I have been part of habitat for humanity (I have worked with the groups that fix up the houses, not build new ones). It is a great feeling to give up some of my own time and go out and work on someone else's house especially when they need it so bad.

As far as BW's post, sure bikes get a bad rap. My mother always told me that she would never let me have a motorcycle because my Aunt was paralyzed in a motorcyle accident. I think the main reason they get a bad rap is the severity of injury on average from a motorcycle accident is probably higher than that in a car. [ QUOTE ]
Whenever I talk about riding, I hear this bit about how dangerous motorcycles are and how many die. I say, look at how many die in automobile accidents every year. <hr /></blockquote> There are many many more car accidents than motorcycle, but did you stop and think about how many more cars their are on the road compared to motorcycles? It is not to hard to believe there will be more car accidents given the HUGE difference in quantity on the road. I think a better gauge would be % of motorcycle accidents per motorcycles on the road compared to % of car accidents per car on the road.

Anyways, I agree they get a bad rap, but I sometimes think their owners bring it upon themselves a good bit of the time. Most of the riders here in town seem pretty agressive when on their bikes and I think that is backwards.

eg8r

Popcorn
06-04-2004, 10:49 AM
I have nothing against motorcycles but the rider has to be realistic. I live in a very congested area with statistically some of the worst drivers in the country. Riding a motorcycle where I live is far more dangerous then say in rural NC. If a motorcycle was your sole form of transportation, my guess is, it would not be if, but just a matter of when, you will have an accident and how bad it will be. There are no fender bender accidents on a motorcycle. I know a guy that lost a leg and all he did was lay it down on a wet road. I am being very honest, if I had a kid he would not be riding a motorcycle, not where I live anyway. There is also a big difference between the thrill of riding on a country road and the life and death struggle trying to ride in heavy city traffic or rush hour I-95. To even say, for what ever reason, it is no more dangerous to ride a bike as compared to a car is ludicrous.

bluewolf
06-04-2004, 02:40 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> Anyways, I agree they get a bad rap, but I sometimes think their owners bring it upon themselves a good bit of the time. Most of the riders here in town seem pretty agressive when on their bikes and I think that is backwards.

eg8r <hr /></blockquote>

Yeah, there are always acts of God like losing a leg just laying it down or what happened to a young 12 year old girl I knew in a car going 25 but never mind that. We have these 'crotch rocket' riders claiming speeds of 150-200. Now those would definately contribute imo to the bad rap but most of the people I know that ride bikes are very defensive and do everything they can to be safe.

As far as popcorn, yeah what you do must have meaning. I guess for me, I want my life to have been full in the time I had it. That includes helping people dogs, writing and all that but having done some challenging things makes me feel good too. I am glad to have helped people and dogs and still feel good when I get to do that but I also feel good about some of the fun stuff I did. I also feel good when I can confront my fears and do what I am afraid of, then it is a discomfort not a phobia. Sure, I was afraid of falling off the first motorbike and horse I ever rode, but I did it anyway, and the first time I went rafting, especially knowing what kinds of action was coming, I felt a little fear. But it makes me feel good that I had the courage to do some things anyway instead of letting my fears dominate me and keep me from having fun.

I like riding my bike around town just for the fun of it. Not interested in high speeds or any of that.

Don't know if any of that makes sense LOL

Laura

stickman
06-04-2004, 09:21 PM
When I was young, I raced motorcycles. I built race bikes, worked on street bikes, and drove them. I loved the things. When I got a family, I gave them up. My wifes didn't like them. I'm alone now, and I plan to stay that way. When I'm able, I'll have a Harley. There's no one to tell me I can't. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Popcorn
06-04-2004, 11:50 PM
I agree, I don't live my life foolishly but I am not going to stop living because of fear. There are people who live with bars on their windows. One of my neighbors pulled out all the plants around his house because he heard it provided a place for people to hide as they were trying to break into your house. I don't have bars on my windows and plenty of plants around the yard. I am careful within reason but living in constant fear about things that may or may not happen is no way to live. Having said that, foolishly engaging in dangerous activities for some superficial thrill I would not agree with. I think that person may need some professional help. Heck there are people who will try to justify taking drugs or drinking. You see 300 LB people on Oprah telling you how they are happy and resent anyone telling them they are fat. The last person one should try to fool is themselves. That is a terrible trick to play.

bluewolf
06-05-2004, 07:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote stickman:</font><hr> When I was young, I raced motorcycles. I built race bikes, worked on street bikes, and drove them. I loved the things. When I got a family, I gave them up. My wifes didn't like them. I'm alone now, and I plan to stay that way. When I'm able, I'll have a Harley. There's no one to tell me I can't. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

I would like to have a harley too. I always hated it there there were no ones small enough for me except the sportster, which I do not particularly like the style. The other day I saw a woman riding a harley that was smaller, the best I can describe it is like the size of a honda shadow 500 or 750, so they must have come out with something new.

One reason I think harleys are safer other than the construction is because they are very loud. It is a statistical fact that at least a % of the time, people do not see a motorcycle because in their mind they see two wheels but not one, or something like that. I think that with the harleys being louder, a person is much more likely to be aware of them, that sound is hard to miss!!!

When ray and I got married, he said I could never get a motorcycle.there were a couple of other things he said i could not do too and I just humored him because I knew that having a stronger will, I would get what I wanted eventually. HAHA Then I had some balance problems for about a year,thought I could never ride again but there were apparently side effects to some meds I was on, and no longer have them.

Then when we sold the condo,got some profit, and ray got a car for better mileage and a trailer for his suv and said he was getting a pool table, I said I HAVE to have a motorcle. I kind of rationalized that if gas gets real bad, then he will regret not getting one. LOL. But I said that I have to get back on a bike and I did not care which one,it had been too long and I needed to get back on. He was not willing to fork out 10 grand or so but comprimised and got me a new hondo 250 rebel, which is what I was riding 8 years ago, when I lost it in bankrupcy.

So, that is fine for now and in a couple of years, would like to get that harley if the smaller ones are still available. I think that 1200cc is just too much of a bike for me and always will be, but if they are still making those smaller ones, would like to get one in a few years.

Riding a bike for me is kind of like a nature thing. Just the feel of it and the breeze and the smells, so much beauty can be experienced on a bike that is missed in a car. Only someone who has riden a bike knows what I mean.

Laura

Wally_in_Cincy
06-05-2004, 07:29 AM
fact is motorcycles are dangerous but you can minimize the danger. I rode for about 8 years and I learned that "yes that old lady is going to turn left in front of you so prepare for it" or "that young kid on the side street to my right is going to pull right into my path" so plan accordingly.

after riding so defensively for so long it became a habit which i still have and it has helped me avoid countless wrecks

wally~~only wrecked the bike once...learned to never drink and ride

bluewolf
06-05-2004, 07:39 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> fact is motorcycles are dangerous but you can minimize the danger. I rode for about 8 years and I learned that "yes that old lady is going to turn left in front of you so prepare for it" or "that young kid on the side street to my right is going to pull right into my path" so plan accordingly.

after riding so defensively for so long it became a habit which i still have and it has helped me avoid countless wrecks

wally~~only wrecked the bike once...learned to never drink and ride <hr /></blockquote>

This is so true, Wally. I took the two day motorcycle safety class before I got one and have also taken the defensive driving class for cars. When i got my new bike, this time, it came with a safety book with pictures of just the things you describe that a safe motorcycle driver needs to be aware of. It even told why when it starts to rain the roads are slicker. It said that when it first starts to rain, a smart biker pulls off the road and has a cup of coffee before resuming.

I really do not like to ride in the rain, not only because it is more difficult but also because the visibility factor is less, not only for the bike but for the cars with which you are sharing the road. But, if caught in it, I pull off at the nearest opportunity until it subsides, if possible.

Laura

Gayle in MD
06-08-2004, 06:12 AM
Hi Popcorn,
Great Posts, enjoyed them both. I often relate to your opinions, like the way you think. I do have something against motorcycles, I HATE them! They are dangerous, very dangerous, and very loud, hard to see, and seems like when I do see them, they drive like maniacs. Then if you hit one, it's your a$$. I hate it when they pull up next to me at a light, the noise is deafening, and the way they wiz in and out of traffic makes me furious.

I have lost six friends due to motorcycles, and four others are maimed for life. One has absolutely no protection on a motorcycle, and when something goes wrong, they are very unforgiving.

I had a friend in school and she was the image of Kim Novak, beautiful gal, and nice as she could be. She and her boyfriend lost it on a curve and hit a tree in the rain one night. They weren"t even going fast, and they were killed instantly, nineteen years old. Sure, people die in car accidents too, but it is a matter of DEGREE, as you so wisely suggest in your posts, and the degree of risk in much greater on a motorcycle than in a car.

Another fellow, friend of my daughters, nice young guy, I love him like a son, he's been part of our family for years, he had this motorcycle, and my daughter to9ld him, "Don't let my Mom find out you bought that thing, she will freak, and you'll get the lecture of your life." He got my lectures for three years every time he came over. One night he too slid out on a curve unecpectedly, and half one buttock was sliced off, and he is now an invalid, in constant pain, living on morphine for the last ten years now.

When I have my grand daughter in the car, and a motorcycle pulls up next to us, she practically cries from the noise. I always make her promise me she will never get on a motorcycle, as I made my daughter promise also when she was growing up.

My husband bought one when my daughter was two years old. I didn't speak to him for two months, worst disagreement we ever had. Then one night he was out riding, and the gears locked up on him, he ended up riding on top of the damn thing while it was sliding on its side on top of a concrete divider. That was it for him, thank God. The next day he took a sledge hammer to it, said he wouldn't think of selling it to anyone else after what almost happened to him.

If I had my way they would be banned from the highways. I could never understand the attraction to them. All that noise, and all those bugs hitting you in the face, who wants to go for a ride and eat bugs and get their ears drilled out, lol. Takes all kinds I guess, but life is too precious to me to take risks I don't need to take, like riding a motorcycle, sky-diving, bungy jumping, mountain climbing, I think those folks have a loose screw! /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Gayle in Md.,

eg8r
06-08-2004, 10:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
To even say, for what ever reason, it is no more dangerous to ride a bike as compared to a car is ludicrous. <hr /></blockquote> I agree, was that not clear in my post?

eg8r

eg8r
06-08-2004, 10:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have lost six friends due to motorcycles, and four others are maimed for life. One has absolutely no protection on a motorcycle, and when something goes wrong, they are very unforgiving.
<hr /></blockquote> I still don't understand all those people riding without helmets on?

[ QUOTE ]
If I had my way they would be banned from the highways. I could never understand the attraction to them. All that noise <font color="blue"> If it bothered you enough you could ear plugs </font color> , and all those bugs hitting you in the face <font color="blue"> This only happens to dumb people riding without a helmet, or those with helmets that do not cover the face</font color> , who wants to go for a ride and eat bugs and get their ears drilled out, lol <font color="blue"> Not me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif </font color> . Takes all kinds I guess, but life is too precious to me to take risks I don't need to take, like riding a motorcycle, sky-diving, bungy jumping, mountain climbing, I think those folks have a loose screw! <hr /></blockquote> While I agree with most of what you say, I still cannot wait till I get a motorcycle. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif I want one for weekend rides down back-country roads. It would be great. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Barbara
06-08-2004, 10:43 AM
"There are many things you can point to as proof that the human is not smart. But my personal favorite would have to be that we needed to invent the helmet. What was happening, apparently, was that we were involved in a lot of activities that were cracking our heads. We chose not to avoid doing these activities but, instead, to come up with some sort of device to help us continue enjoying our head-cracking lifestyles. The helmet. And even that didn't work because not enough people were wearing them so we had to come up with the helmet law. Which is even stupider, the idea behind the helmet law being to preserve a brain whose judgement is so poor, it does not even try to stop the cracking of the head it's in."

--Jerry Seinfeld

Barbara~~~has that page earmarked... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Gayle in MD
06-08-2004, 10:44 AM
Hi kiddo, how;s it going?
EAR plugs, LOL, How would I hear sirens, horns, brakes screeching, all the noises you should be listening for when driving?

Helmets are not the end all for safty, my friend, they don't protect you from a broken neck, crushed chest, ruptured lungs, just to name a few injuries which my friends died from.

Please, when you get yours, don'[t tell me about it, lol. It worries me to death when I hear of anyone I like riding on a motorcycle.

Love,
Gayle /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

eg8r
06-08-2004, 12:13 PM
LOL, that is hilarious. Seinfeld has a great way of looking at things. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

bluewolf
06-08-2004, 01:35 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Gayle in MD:</font><hr>
All that noise, and all those bugs hitting you in the face, who wants to go for a ride and eat bugs and get their ears drilled out, lol.

<hr /></blockquote>

Well articulated, although we do not think alike at all.Like eg8r, I enjoy the back country roads and riding around town.The noise? that noise is music to my ears, I love hearing motorcycles.!!!One thing about the bugs in the face. This is preventable by wearing full face helmets with the sheilds down. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Laura

MikeM
06-08-2004, 04:27 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr> Ridng a bike for me is kind of like a nature thing. Just the feel of it and the breeze and the smells, so much beauty can be experienced on a bike that is missed in a car. Only someone who has riden a bike knows what I mean.

Laura <hr /></blockquote>

Get on a bicycle. Much healthier and at least a little bit safer!

MM

bluewolf
06-08-2004, 04:39 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote MikeM:</font><hr>

Get on a bicycle. Much healthier and at least a little bit safer!

MM <hr /></blockquote>

Good idea mike but sadly I do not have the stamina to go much over 100 feet on a bicycle. And it is scary how mwny drivers on the road do not think that they have a right to be there and run them over on purpose. Really evil

Laura

bluewolf
06-09-2004, 07:30 AM
With this, there is only one life to live, so live it with abandon. Not with caution or fear but with the adventure of being alive and the joy and fearlessness of the child. With the following poem, I rest my case.

The Invitation
by Oriah Mountain Dreamer

It doesn't interest me what you do for a living. I want to know what you ache for, and if you dare to dream of meeting your heart's longing.

It doesn't interest me how old you are. I want to know if you will risk looking like a fool for love, for your dream, for the adventure of being alive.

It doesn't interest me what planets are squaring your moon. I want to know if you have touched the center of your own sorrow, if you have been opened by life's betrayals or have become shriveled and closed from fear of further pain! I want to know if you can sit with pain, mine or your own, without moving to hide it or fade it, or fix it.

<font color="red">I want to know if you can be with joy, mine or your own, if you can dance with wildness and let the ecstasy fill you to the tips of your fingers and toes without cautioning us to be careful, to be realistic, to remember the limitations of being human.</font color>

It doesn't interest me if the story you are telling me is true. I want to know if you can disappoint another to be true to yourself; if you can bear the accusation of betrayal and not betray your own soul; if you can be faithless and therefore trustworthy.

I want to know if you can see beauty even when it's not pretty, every day, and if you can source your own life from its presence.

I want to know if you can live with failure, yours and mine, and still stand on the edge of the lake and shout to the silver of the full moon, "Yes!"

It doesn't interest me to know where you live or how much money you have. I want to know if you can get up, after the night of grief and despair, weary and bruised to the bone, and do what needs to be done to feed the children.

It doesn't interest me who you know or how you came to be here. I want to know if you will stand in the center of the fire with me and not shrink back.

It doesn't interest me where or what or with whom you have studied. I want to know what sustains you, from the inside, when all else falls away.

I want to know if you can be alone with yourself and if you truly like the company you keep in the empty moments.

by
Oriah Mountain Dreamer
copyright 1999 by Oriah Mountain Dreamer.

<font color="red"> </font color> <font color="red"> </font color>

Gayle in MD
06-09-2004, 08:01 AM
LMAO! Barbara, I love it! Jerry and I think alike!
Love,
Gayle in Md., /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Eric.
06-09-2004, 08:22 AM
Hi Gayle,

Hope all is well with you.

I like to ride, I own a bike. I agree that there is a higher risk of getting F'ed up on a bike but it is one I'm willing to take. I think it is no more dangerous than the person who chooses to smoke/drink or eat unhealthy foods and not exercise/be overweight. To make a point, heart disease kills much more than motorcycles.

My personal pet peeve is alot of the people driving cars that are not aware of other vehicles on the road.

This brings me to the point of my ramble. Just this morning, I was cut off by a Soccer Mom type in a minivan. I was in the fast lane, she wanted to come over. As she's drifting over into my lane, I'm laying on the horn - she continues into my lane. I jam on the brakes to avoid her, then put my arm up like "What tha F ?!" You know what? She puts her arm up like "What tha F" to me! If I had the time, I would have followed her til she pulled over, then drilled her dead square on the nose, then consider giving her my phone number so her husband can have a talk with me and I can drill him too for having sucha jackass of a wife! I was pissed.

The point is; part of the reason bikes are dangerous is because of drivers like this on the road.

Eric &gt;living in the most crowded State

Barbara
06-09-2004, 08:30 AM
Eric, I totally agree with you on this point. Pete has a '79 FXE without any turn signals, so it's up to me to do the hand turn signals when we're out. Well, lemme ask you, how many drivers know what the hand signals are for left and right? Not too many because while I once signaled for a left turn, this one driver start to pass us on the left!

Another time this woman pulled out right in front of us while looking straight at us!

Barbara

bluewolf
06-09-2004, 01:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr> Hi Gayle,

Hope all is well with you.

I like to ride, I own a bike. I agree that there is a higher risk of getting F'ed up on a bike but it is one I'm willing to take. To make a point, heart disease kills much more than motorcycles.

My personal pet peeve is alot of the people driving cars that are not aware of other vehicles on the road.

This brings me to the point of my ramble. Just this morning, I was cut off by a Soccer Mom type in a minivan. I was in the fast lane, she wanted to come over. As she's drifting over into my lane, I'm laying on the horn - she continues into my lane. I jam on the brakes to avoid her, then put my arm up like "What tha F ?!" You know what? She puts her arm up like "What tha F" to me! If I had the time, I would have followed her til she pulled over, then drilled her dead square on the nose, then consider giving her my phone number so her husband can have a talk with me and I can drill him too for having sucha jackass of a wife! I was pissed.

<hr /></blockquote>

Boy can I relate. I was driving down this country road to home in my subaru going the speed limit, which was 50. This is a typical country road where it is difficult to pass, but apparently if one is not exceeding the speed limit by at least ten, people get real mad. So this huge truck passes me going about 75, giving me the gig. And I do not mean just any gig, I mean the mean kind that means I do NOT want to meet this guy in a dark alley.

And what about all of those drivers who are talking on the cell phone and not paying attention. Some states are considering banning the things while driving due to accidents caused by these drivers!!!!

Laura---&gt; picks safer roads to ride my bike

Gayle in MD
06-10-2004, 07:21 AM
Hello my friend, and how are you doing, good to hear from you.
Well now, your post points out one of the reasons why I would never get on one of those things. Unfortunately, we will always have nuts behind the wheels of automobiles, and if you are on a motorcycle you are totally unprotected.
Bottom line, the roads and highways are high risk areas for riding any kind of bike, and if I were inclined to ride one, I think I would limit my bike riding to dirt trials and park areas.

Unfortunately, there are many on motorcycles who like to wiz in and out of traffic, I see it all the time, and then they expect the rest of us to give them the road. Why can't they just get into a lane and stay there instead of assumming that just because they are small enough to fit between cars, they can weave in and out of traffic. If you do that in a car, you get a ticket for agressive driving.
Anyway, be careful, and don't forget, you are harder to see on those things, and much more unprotected.
Love,
Gayle in Md.

bluewolf
06-10-2004, 12:24 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Gayle in MD:</font><hr>
Unfortunately, there are many on motorcycles who like to wiz in and out of traffic, I see it all the time, and then they expect the rest of us to give them the road. Why can't they just get into a lane and stay there instead of assumming that just because they are small enough to fit between cars, they can weave in and out of traffic. If you do that in a car, you get a ticket for agressive driving.
Anyway, be careful, and don't forget, you are harder to see on those things, and much more unprotected.
Love,
Gayle in Md.

<hr /></blockquote>

Gayle,

I was taught in my bike safety course to stay in one lane, in the middle so that a car cannot try to share it with you, signal, make sure the car you are getting in front of sees you, you are not in someones blind spot and so forth.

When you speak of those who whiz in and out, are you talking mostly about those sport bikes you see where the riders are laying on the bike? I call those 'crotch rockets'. I hear of lots of these 16-25 age drivers riding on those things, bragging about how fast they went, ie 150 or something and in some cases bragging that they were going fast when they wrecked and were ok.

I have gotten a little less judgemental of that type of bike, because I met some responsible people who ride that kind of bike, but when they first came out in numbers I hated them.

Whizing in and out of traffic is very dangerous to the biker but it can be dangerous to cars too if it causes a pileup and these fast drivers could even injure a person or animal driving so fast.

I think there are many responsible bikers on the road but the speed demons definately give all of the rest of us a bad image and are very dangerous IMO.

Laura