PDA

View Full Version : APA Scotch Doubles Handicap?

cycopath
06-03-2004, 10:33 AM
I've agreed to play in a Scotch Doubles APA qualifier with another 5. I'm told our race will be to 4 games. How does the handicap work for others. Like for instance a SL4 and SL3, what would their race be?

SPetty
06-03-2004, 10:52 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cycopath:</font><hr> How does the handicap work for others. Like for instance a SL4 and SL3, what would their race be? <hr /></blockquote>Your league operator or tournament director should be able to answer that. It might be different in different places.

I think the one APA scotch doubles tournament I heard about wasn't handicapped as far as the races to, but was handicapped as far as the total skill level for the players. I think they could add up only to 11.

cycopath
06-03-2004, 11:02 AM
Yeah there is a handicap by the players skill levels. You can't go over 10 total. So two 5's or even a 3 and a 7 will work.

Wally_in_Cincy
06-03-2004, 11:37 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> .....I think the one APA scotch doubles tournament I heard about wasn't handicapped as far as the races to, but was handicapped as far as the total skill level for the players. I think they could add up only to 11. <hr /></blockquote>

Yeah I have never heard of APA scotch doubles handicapped as far as the race.

When I was in Vegas they were running minis with a total of 10 and some with a total of 11. I think the race was to 4 for everybody.

Pelican
06-03-2004, 11:51 AM
Without a handicap system two 3s or two 4s would be at a definate disadvantage to two 5s or a 6 and a 4. I thought the whole idea behind APA was to level the playing field. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Isn't one of their sayings something like "Anybody Can Win"?

cycopath
06-03-2004, 12:03 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Pelican:</font><hr>Isn't one of their sayings something like "Anybody Can Win"? <hr /></blockquote>

I think that's the World Series of Poker. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
06-03-2004, 12:29 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Pelican:</font><hr> Without a handicap system two 3s or two 4s would be at a definate disadvantage to two 5s or a 6 and a 4. I thought the whole idea behind APA was to level the playing field. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Isn't one of their sayings something like "Anybody Can Win"? <hr /></blockquote>

There is usually a 6 or 7 looking for a 4 or 3 to hook up with. It works out OK. The 7 just leaves the 3 easy shots every time /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Fred Agnir
06-03-2004, 12:38 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cycopath:</font><hr> I've agreed to play in a Scotch Doubles APA qualifier with another 5. I'm told our race will be to 4 games. How does the handicap work for others. Like for instance a SL4 and SL3, what would their race be? <hr /></blockquote>The way I've played, you add the handicaps, and divide by two. Round up. That's the new overall handicap.

Fred

Pelican
06-03-2004, 01:53 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr>
There is usually a 6 or 7 looking for a 4 or 3 to hook up with. It works out OK. The 7 just leaves the 3 easy shots every time /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>

I agree wally, in that sceniro it will work. What I am thinking of is two friends or a husband and wife, one is a 4 and one is a 3. They want to play together. Should they be given an unequal chance because they are friends. Just don't seem right to me.

Wally_in_Cincy
06-03-2004, 02:18 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Pelican:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr>
.... What I am thinking of is two friends or a husband and wife, one is a 4 and one is a 3. They want to play together. Should they be given an unequal chance because they are friends. Just don't seem right to me. <hr /></blockquote>

I've seen few husbands and wives that wanted to play together /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif j/k

I guess the handicap could work like the one Fred described, I've just never seen one done like that.

Around here it's always limit of 10.

Pelican
06-03-2004, 04:49 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr>
I've seen few husbands and wives that wanted to play together /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif j/k <hr /></blockquote>

Yep, kinda like teaching your wife to drive, it just don't work /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

sack316
06-03-2004, 10:44 PM
i'm in a newly formed scotch doubles 8 ball midnight league, and wouldn't ya know I turned in my packet earlier tonight which has a conversion chart for the added handicap.I knew I shoulda got on here earlier. if I can hunt it down I'll post the whole chart for you. So far from what I've seen though is that 2 mid ranked players can be a strong force. for examples, usually two fives know how to play some d.So when matched up against say a 7 and a 3 they tend to hook the 3 alot if they can't get out. But then again the only bar open late enough to host this league has a tore up table and a softball for a cueball, so even the 7's don't get to leave their poor 3's perfect all the time.

sack316
06-03-2004, 10:54 PM
wait, here's one I found. it seems different then I remember the one we use here though. But then again like I said it's a midnight league so I'm tired and have usually knocked back a few by then. But here ya go

7 8 9 10
7 2/2 2/3 2/4 2/5
8 2/2 2/2 2/3 2/4
9 4/2 3/2 3/3 3/4
10 5/2 4/2 4/3 4/4

i really think our is different, but hopefully it can give you some idea of what yours may be.
that didn't come out so good on the post, so here's a link (http://www.poolplayers.com/ntc99/event_facts.html)

cycopath
06-04-2004, 09:52 AM
Thanks Sack.

nAz
06-04-2004, 12:32 PM
? In APA Scotch Doubles can you and your partner discuss strategies and positions between shots or do you need to play silently and only talk when you not shooting?

Wally_in_Cincy
06-04-2004, 12:53 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr> ? In APA Scotch Doubles can you and your partner discuss strategies and positions between shots or do you need to play silently and only talk when you not shooting? <hr /></blockquote>

I think it's one timeout per game.

sack316
06-04-2004, 04:24 PM
yeah, it is one timeout per rack. and you're very welcome cyco

cycopath
06-08-2004, 11:17 AM
Well my teammate that wanted to play got moved up to a SL6 during City Cup, so we couldn't play anymore. I did go anyway to support my dad and step brother who were still going to participate in it. The league operator asked if I wanted to play with another guy (SL5) who was there looking for a partner, I said sure. We fared pretty well, coming in 3rd and winning our entry fee back. Not too bad for a couple guys that's never shot together. In the battle for 2nd we played two of the "sandbaggin-est" jerkoffs I've ever seen. Two alledged SL5s that were at minimum both strong 6's. Not only were they sandbagging but they were sharking also. My partner referred to them as being 'slower than smoke off a dog turd'. Acting drunk and what not, shaking hands with everybody for no reason. All this just to piss you off and screw your game up. With the slow play the tournament went into the wee hours. I didn't leave there until 5:30am this morning. It was all I could do to get to work on time this morning. So needless to say I feel like that dog turd my partner mentioned earlier.

The sandbaggers didn't take it home though, the A side winners (also the guys that threw us into the B side) got it.