PDA

View Full Version : Last Night's Tournament

Cuemage
05-03-2002, 05:53 PM
I'm matched up even with a guy in a race to 8 (9-ball, alternating break). He are tied 5-5.
6-5 - He breaks & nothing goes. I run out.
7-5 - I make the 9 on the break.
7-6 - He breaks, makes nothing, I run 8 & rattle the nine.AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
7-7 - I break, & rattle the nine on a 3-9 carom.AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!
7-8 - He breaks, SLOPS in 2 balls during his run & runs out. AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
Are you believin this. Has this ever happened to you? How do you guys deal with losing in a match you know you should have won?

Tha Cuemage

rackmup
05-03-2002, 05:58 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>How do you guys deal with losing in a match you know you should have won? <hr></blockquote>

You shake his hand, smile and say "Great match. You had the lucky rolls and I didn't. Hope to play you again when I'm in stroke."

Then, walk away and realize the best player didn't win tonight. No big deal. It happens.

Regards,

Ken (been rattled in the corner of life more than his fair share but still pluggin' along)

05-03-2002, 06:17 PM
Forget it, especially the slop'd balls 'cause you'll get some of those too at times. The point you should try and figure out though is about those rattled shots. Sounds like you maybe choked a little and there's where your answer is to be addressed. The guy caught fire on those mistakes...sid~~~been there, going to be there again(almost definetely) and done that ;-(

Cuemage
05-03-2002, 06:24 PM
The 1st 9 I rattled was a bank shot (length of table). From the right side of the table, I couldn't cut it in the right corner, would've scratched if I cut it into the left corner, &amp; my mind went blank on a safety shot. + I was pissed I got lousy shape + I just ran 8 &amp; didn't want him to get back to the table. I think I made the right shot...I just shot it too tentatively.
The 2nd rattle was a very difficult carom, but was makeable. I figured to leave the 3-ball up table, but it kissed another ball &amp; left a shot.

Tha Cuemage

Tom_In_Cincy
05-03-2002, 09:30 PM
The best players NEVER have to WIN all the time.

9 ball is a great game that anyone can win at anytime.

You have to accept this as a FACT.... if you don't.....you will only get frustrated and play even worse.

Kato
05-04-2002, 08:52 AM
You've been playing long enough to know that the rolls are gonna get ya sometimes. Fast Eddie told us that in The Color of Money. I used to let things get to me, missed shots, rattled balls, bad saftey's. Now I just try to understand what I did and move on. Losing a tournament isn't the end of time.

Kato~~~knows losing sux and overcoming obsticals is the S&amp;%T

05-04-2002, 01:36 PM
Relax, pal, and take a couple of deep breaths. You'll get the breaks next time, because this stuff evens out, if you just have a little patience. Let me remind you, also, that the more you practice, the luckier you'll get.

05-04-2002, 02:05 PM
Shrug it off and move on. One good thing about tournaments is that there is always tomorrow.

05-04-2002, 02:06 PM
learn not to miss the nine 2 times in a row,and if you dog it twice like you did keep crying and you will win the next one..........aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh whinner

Cuemage
05-04-2002, 07:06 PM
you've got real class...loser

jjinfla
05-05-2002, 06:15 AM
I think you know the answer. Your mind went blank. The right shot was the safety but you played the low percentage shot. Next time play the safety and let him play the low percentage shot and make the mistake. Easier said than done. Jake

Chris Cass
05-05-2002, 11:36 AM
A,

Like you've ever had the stones to enter an event. That was rude. If your refering to my friends, say it to their face then put your money where your mouth is.

I've lost more events and games than you've ever known. It makes you strong and strong eventually wins. So, venting is what makes people human. Too bad there's hateful people like you in the world. That hide behind the hill and lobb rocks. Try to be a player, will ya?

C.C.

Chris Cass
05-05-2002, 11:52 AM
Hey Cuemage,

You have to take it in stride. Replay the match in your mind. Be totally honest in your evaluation of your shot selections and your shot execution. When we play in tourney's there's many factors that come into play. Most of the time it's are final stroke. The rest of the time it's shot selection or timing.

The worst thing you can do is to carry the baggage with you. It's good to correct the mistake in your mind. Then, let it go. You can shoot perfect and still lose, in tournament. The break is key, if your breaks working well and your opponents isn't, your odds are far better.

Missing a combo? Well, sometimes the easy way out isn't the answer. Sometimes it's better to run out than go for the cheese. Who said combo's were easy?

I'm with you. I feel your pain bro and can say. Let it go. Chalk it up to another learning experience. I lost a tourney plus $50. in the calcutta. That's the way it goes sometimes. I definitly won't let it get me down.

Chin up Cue,

C.C.~~losing makes winning all the more better..

05-05-2002, 02:04 PM
Cuemage, all I can do is offer you a few suggestions from my own personal experience.

Right after you lose a match like that:

1. Donít drive.

2. Donít gamble.

3. Donít go shopping.

4. Donít talk to anyone you love (especially if theyíre not a pool player).

5. Donít go near anything that has a balcony.

6. Get yourself a stiff one, hang out and watch some matches, and watch everyone else make mistakes and get bad rolls. Then you can drive (if youíre still sober), gamble, go shopping, and talk to your loved ones.

7. Expect it to happen again.

Do stay away from balconies for at least a week, though.

Hope this helps.

Fran

Barbara
05-05-2002, 03:17 PM
I agree with every point.

Especially the one about driving.... in a car with 325 giddyups to the yeeehaaa.

State Johnnies and local cops especially watch out for these.

Barbara~~~has at least dodged that one.... but as for the shopping...

Cuemage
05-05-2002, 03:56 PM
Thanks for all the positive responses. I have lived to see another day. I really hate losing by giving the game away. I would rather someone ran the set on me. Nonetheless, I do recover more quickly than in the past, and I try to learn from my mistakes so as not to repeat them. I really only wanted to vent, knowing that each of you had been in my shoes. I knew I could count on you to consider the situation for what it's worth. Thanks again.

Tha Cuemage