PDA

View Full Version : Weird drill

shooter72283
06-04-2004, 12:29 AM
When I was at the poolhall today shooting some drills, one of the older guys there suggested that I try one that "will give you great cueball control." He told me to rack up like 8-ball and kick the cueball from the headspot into the rack. Then reset the cue ball and do the same thing over and over until you sink the 8 in the corner. This is a good kicking drill, sort of, but could someone please tell me where true cueball control comes into play, or is this guy as full of crap as I think he is?

shaggydoo1975
06-04-2004, 12:34 AM
I guess I am confused about getting the true cue ball control as well.

Popcorn
06-04-2004, 12:52 AM
I never saw anyone do that. I do a thing but I don't use the cue I just throw the ball with my hand. You Rack up the balls with the 8 in the middle and throw the cueball three or more rails at the rack. After it stops you pick it up and throw it again till you make the 8 ball in the corner. I can bet on ten shots. I also put a ball on the spot and do the same thing but I bet on four. I often make it in one.

Frank_Glenn
06-04-2004, 12:55 AM
My dad told me if I put salt on a bird's tail, I could catch it. I ran around for a while with a salt shaker trying to catch a bird (I was about 10 or 12). After a while I went back and told him this was not working. He smiled and said that if I could get the bird to stay still long enough to put salt on it's tail, all I had to do was reach out and grab it.

What I think you will learn from this drill is how to kick the cueball from the head spot into the rack. If you want to learn english, get a copy of Target Pool. Your time will be better spent, IMO.

Scott Lee
06-04-2004, 10:17 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Frank_Glenn:</font><hr> If you want to learn english, get a copy of Target Pool. Your time will be better spent, IMO. <hr /></blockquote>

Frank...A billiard supply store here in town told me yesterday that you cannot get Target Pool anymore. Do you know any distributors who still have the game available?

Scott Lee

cycopath
06-04-2004, 10:24 AM
You see them on eBay occassionally, Scott. When I was looking that's the only place I could find them. If I remember correctly they were ending from $30-$50 per game, depending on condition. Sealed games were generally bringing $50 or more. This was probably a year ago or better.

HTH

Bob_Jewett
06-04-2004, 12:43 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> ... You Rack up the balls with the 8 in the middle and throw the cueball three or more rails at the rack. After it stops you pick it up and throw it again till you make the 8 ball in the corner. I can bet on ten shots....<hr /></blockquote>
Alain Robidoux did this on a 6x12 snooker table (black and 14 reds) and did it in 25 throws. The amazing part was that he improved the position on nearly every throw -- usually there are some throws that don't do anything useful. I first saw this (throw the cue ball and eventually make the 8) done by Cueball Kelly (referee, promoter, hand billiard artist) in the 1970's. If you get a good break, it's possible in about five throws.

As for the original drill, I think a better drill would be to leave the cue ball wherever it comes to rest rather than take it back to the headspot. I think carom billiards would help a lot more than this drill. Or play "cowboy" on the pool table.

Another set of kicking drills:

With just the cue ball and an object ball on the table, see how many times you can go one cushion to hit the object ball without getting the object ball to a cushion. You should learn to control both balls. Then with getting the ball to a cushion. Then by going two rails for each case. Then three rails.

Rod
06-04-2004, 01:40 PM
I don't know about c/b control but you can learn the rails. Like Popcorn said it is more of a game and I have done that also, with hand or cue but three rails behind the foot spot.

Rod

Chris Cass
06-04-2004, 05:19 PM
Hi Scott,

Why didn't ya ask me? I know who has it but they have a limited supply. Maybe two. PM me and I'll give ya the scoop. It's not that I don't like to share but I want to take care of my close friends first. I know, it's not right but I'm old school. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C.

Chris Cass
06-04-2004, 05:21 PM
Bought mine sealed for $30. about two yrs ago as a present for Heide.

C.C.

Popcorn
06-04-2004, 05:44 PM
Actually what I can do is not very unique. Years ago everybody who hung around a pool room could spin balls. Nowadays if you touch a ball you get put on time or something. I met Cueball Kelly many times. I wish I could find a box of pictures I have somewhere I have quite a few pictures of him. I am going to make an effort to find it. It is in one of the houses somewhere. I have hundreds of candid pictures not posed of players and want to be, that would be a kick to put on the net. About that make the 8 ball thing. When you do it, it is an either or thing. The break is everything and you will either do it in just a few shots or it gets so screwed up you need 20. I throw the break very hard. I once was doing it in a pool room and the cueball never hardly touched the table and broke a glass case with cues in it. I learned if there is a window or something to move the rack to the other end of the table.

terrymck
06-07-2004, 04:57 AM
What is "Target Pool"? I found a video with that name on-line.

Terry

#### leonard
06-07-2004, 06:25 AM
Popcorn Cueball Kelly was one of the truly great characters of the Pool World. Him and his partner Onifrio Lauri were a great team.

Kelly once made the New York Daily News page three. He got nailed with counterfeit Chanel#5. I don't think anything became of it but the headlines.

He told me once had a dispute with another local Italian settled by Charles "Lucky" Luciano with the warning not to bother him again.####

SPetty
06-07-2004, 07:01 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote terrymck:</font><hr> What is "Target Pool"? I found a video with that name on-line. <hr /></blockquote>"Target Pool" is a game invented by pool player Kim Davenport to help with cue ball positioning. It is no longer available, but sometimes you can find it on eBay. I haven't seen the video (I'd like to), but I believe it is people playing and maybe teaching the Target Pool game.

http://www.actionbilliards.com/scanned/optimized/vid18297.jpg

Predator314
06-08-2004, 06:37 AM
I've never seen this done as a drill, but if you got good at it, you could make some money.

I watched a guy win $1000 one day betting he could do it in so many shots.