PDA

View Full Version : Where to get a leather wrap job done

BillPorter
06-04-2004, 06:25 AM
I have been thinking about having a leather wrap put on one of my cues. I just checked the archives and found a number of recommendations for this job. Among those recommended were Ned Morris, Dennis Searing, Mike Capone, Mike Webb, Barry Szamboti, Jack Justis, Jacoby Cues, Peachour Cues, and some I've already forgotten. I'm looking for a basic black leather wrap at a decent price (about $100) and quick turn around time. Anyone know wheter I should add or substract names from the above list? Thanks in advance for any ideas on this topic.

Chris Cass
06-04-2004, 06:45 AM
Hi Bill,

Long time no see. McDermott does a fine job too. They charge around $50. and have it back in about 1 week after receiving the cue. They do a good job and the turnaround time is great. Most will tell you the turnaround time from when they get the cue.

I hear Lizard wrap is much cooler on the hands and it looks great too. It's quite a bit more but at Valley Forge they would do it right there on the spot, while you wait and watch. That cuemaker did it for $100. and you can't beat that. I don't remember the name of the booth but you, picked out the wrap of your choice from the stack. Kind of like a buffet for cues. LOL If Barbara, has a list of the venders? I will remember which one it was. I have a photogenic memory. LOL

They did a great job too, seamless like Barry' and Peachour'(sp).

Regards,

C.C.~~graphic hahaha I do need something to trigger it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Fred Agnir
06-04-2004, 07:07 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BillPorter:</font><hr> I have been thinking about having a leather wrap put on one of my cues. I just checked the archives and found a number of recommendations for this job. Among those recommended were Ned Morris, Dennis Searing, Mike Capone, Mike Webb, Barry Szamboti, Jack Justis, Jacoby Cues, Peachour Cues, and some I've already forgotten. I'm looking for a basic black leather wrap at a decent price (about $100) and quick turn around time. Anyone know wheter I should add or substract names from the above list? Thanks in advance for any ideas on this topic. <hr /></blockquote>Sherm Adamson is in your back yard. You might want to give him a ring to see if he does leather wraps.

http://www.shermcue.com

Muellers Sporting Goods also does leather wraps.

Fred

cycopath
06-04-2004, 10:28 AM
My step brother had Tiger do his Pechauer. They did a very good job and it only took a week from the time he sent it to recieving it back.

Here's a link:

http://www.tigerproducts.com/stackleatherwrap.htm

tateuts
06-04-2004, 11:12 AM
Scott at Proficient does as good a job as anybody. Tiger also does a great job and turnaround is next day. Think about what type of leather to get - personally I like pig skin leather.

Chris

BillPorter
06-04-2004, 07:53 PM
Fred, I emailed Sherm and he does do leather wraps. $100. BTW, nice article in the recent Inside Pool!

BillPorter
06-07-2004, 06:30 AM
Thanks to Fred, Chris, Cyco, and Chris for your helpful replies. BTW, Chris...why do you prefer pigskin? Is it the feel or the appearance?

tateuts
06-07-2004, 12:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BillPorter:</font><hr> Chris...why do you prefer pigskin? Is it the feel or the appearance? <hr /></blockquote>I'm not an expert on this but here goes. I use an almost entirely finger grip, so it's all about feel to me.

There are several choices for standard leather wraps. 1) smooth polished - this is the shiny smooth type, cow leather. Huebler uses this style quite a bit. It's polished smooth and provides almost a wrapless feel 2) Embossed leather - this is the printed type, lizard, ostrich, whatever - I don't like the feeling of the embossed lines in my fingers. 3) Pigskin - this is the smooth dull soft leather and is slightly porous.

I like the pigskin leather wraps I've had. It feels a little softer in the hands than the others but is neither too sticky or too smooth.

After playing with leather wraps, no way would I want to play with linen again.

Here are some standard pigskin wraps to look at from Tiger - at the bottom of the page:

http://www.tigerproducts.com/stackleatherwrap.htm

Chris