PDA

View Full Version : Why cops get a bad rap....

eg8r
06-04-2004, 06:27 AM
I know a couple people that are cops and basically they don't care a whole lot how people view them as far as them doing their jobs, but I sometimes question their actions in doing their jobs. Both are motorcycle cops and they patrol the toll booths looking for people running the booths, or speeding through the Epass/Sunpass lanes. They use one guy sitting in between the lanes with a radar gun and he notifies them (further down the road) of the car and they pull them over. I think this is a bit of entrapment and should be illegal but that is not going to happen.

In the not too distant past we had cops dressing up like road workers (pavers, clearers, garbage picker-uppers, etc) and they were clocking people for speeding, I also think this is entrapment and should be illegal. Well, I guess this does not just happpen in Florida (I did not really think we were the only ones). It appears Pa. State cops are doing the same. Here is the article (http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20040603/ap_on_fe_st/catching_speeders_1). [ QUOTE ]
PITTSBURGH - State police are taking to the woods, dressed in camouflage and armed.

Nothing +strange+ there, considering the state's strong hunting tradition, right? But the weapons are radar guns, the quarry is speeders and the season never closes.

Police at the Rockview Barracks near State College began using so-called "camo cops" patrols after a 44-vechicle crash on Interstate 80 that killed six people in January.

"As a result, there were many, many letters and questions and fingerpointing What are you doing? What are you not doing enough of?" said Lt. Jeffrey Watson, station commander.

Watson and Sgt. David Holmes wanted to reduce speeding and accidents and came up with the idea. Holmes has used the tactic for more than a dozen years. <hr /></blockquote> This makes me mad, and I don't even live there. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif I have been accused of driving like a grandpa, so I don't have much to worry about but I still don't agree with it. I just think if the cops had more visibility to motorists on the highway, then a lot of the speeding problems would go down. There is no reason to be sneaky. As far as the cop that is quoted, if he would have just parked his car next to the stop sign, then they would never have a guy run the stop sign. I don't really think the motive is only to reduce speeding (or running of stop signs), I also believe part of the motive is cash in the beginning.

eg8r

dg-in-centralpa
06-04-2004, 03:05 PM
I live in PA. At the end of the month our state cops are out in full force to "Meet their quota" for speeding tickets.

DG - got a speeding ticket back in February at the end of the month

wolfdancer
06-04-2004, 04:08 PM
Holmes &amp; Watson????? You mean the master criminalogist, and his blundering companion, are now reduced to entrapping speeders???? Who's left to match wits with the evil Professor Moriarty? Mr. Doyle must surely be turning over in his grave.