PDA

View Full Version : predator Z shaft

phelix
06-04-2004, 07:53 AM
hi all

im still new to this site but have been reading alot of the forum topics you all talk about been a big help. and im sure the question im about to ask has came up before but what are you going to do. i have just start in small pool league and im looking to buy my self a nice stick and was looking at some of the pretators. was wondering if the z shaft is worth getting or if i should go with the 314.
thanks for any and all info.

its like throwing a show, really who throws and shoe.

Big_Jon
06-04-2004, 09:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote phelix:</font><hr> hi all

im still new to this site but have been reading alot of the forum topics you all talk about been a big help. and im sure the question im about to ask has came up before but what are you going to do. i have just start in small pool league and im looking to buy my self a nice stick and was looking at some of the pretators. was wondering if the z shaft is worth getting or if i should go with the 314.
thanks for any and all info.

its like throwing a show, really who throws and shoe. <hr /></blockquote>

You would be better off trying out regular shafts, at this point and time, you don't know if you want/need a predator shaft. Give a regular (better IMHO) cue some time before you buy into the whole predator "gottahaveit" thing...

Thanks,

Jon

phelix
06-04-2004, 11:59 AM
ok
sounds good any good recommendations on what to use. i have shot with lucaci players and meucci and all have been nice. so far i like the players i have been using for about a year now. is a uni lock and hits sold.

Big_Jon
06-04-2004, 12:29 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote phelix:</font><hr>
ok
sounds good any good recommendations on what to use. i have shot with lucaci players and meucci and all have been nice. so far i like the players i have been using for about a year now. is a uni lock and hits sold. <hr /></blockquote>

Well, i have a Lucasi somewhere around here, was one of my first. Well you like the quick release type joints, now my suggestion is find someone with a Mcdermott (or any cue with a flat faced wood to wood joint, with the pin directly into the wood) and hit a few racks with it, and see if you like that, and if you do, it will narrow you choice down. If you don't like it, you will know, and it will also narrow your choices down. Good luck finding "that" cue.

Thanks,

Jon

Predator314
06-04-2004, 02:07 PM
I've shot with both 314's and Z's. I like the 314's better. The Z shafts are just too skinny for my liking. 314's are awesome shafts.

BeanDiesel
06-04-2004, 08:10 PM
i own a Z shaft. the only thing i hate about it (so far) is the taper. it's annoying when u use a closed bridge if you're too used to pro taper.

PoOn
06-05-2004, 05:37 PM
I don't think there is anything wrong with getting a predator, I thought about getting 1 myself but it's just too expensive for me (I'm only 16 and I don't have a job)... but if you were to get 1 I would say the 314 is best... but if not and you just decided to stick with a regular shaft then I would say go with a Lucasi, McDermott, or a Fury... I shoot with a Lucasi and it plays great for the money...

ryushen21
06-05-2004, 06:33 PM
There are a few lucasis on ebay that sell for about $100 and come with the radial pin. that is my preferrence but try it out if you can. as far as the predator situation, i have played with both and i'll take the standard 314 any day over the Z shaft.

BeanDiesel
06-05-2004, 08:09 PM
if you still wanna get a predator check this out
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;item=3680534685&amp;sspagename= STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&amp;rd=1

shooter72283
06-06-2004, 01:57 AM
The problem that I have noticed with beginners getting Predator shafts is this: they put a lot more english on the ball than your average stock shaft. In other words, shots that you'd normally hit with a full tip off center, you only need to hit a half tip off center with the Predator. If you are used to playing with a stiffer shaft and have developed the all-too-common habit of hitting the cueball way off center for shots that require a little "juice", the Predator will be hard to get used to. Try a Meucci red dot if you are looking for a more flexible, "juicier" shaft and don't want to retool your entire approach to hitting the cueball. Otherwise, do as I have just now begun to do and go with a stiffer shaft, because the quality of the hit is much more reliable and once you get used to it you will see that it is not the shaft that determines how well you hit the balls, but the quality of your stroke. BTW, there is a lot of hype around Predator shafts, but keep in mind that there is no shaft in the world that can make you a better pool player.
As far as good, stiff shafted cues go, you should really check out Pechauer, Joss, or Schon. The Schons might be a little pricy for entry-level cues, but Joss sells good cues for reasonable prices. The Lucasis I have played with were (IMO) less than satisfactory. If you are truly intent on a Predator shaft, don't pay their rediculous prices for an entire cue, check out Mezz cues(who also make the tightest joints I have ever seen, the joint is a huge part of how a cue hits), they stock most of their production cues with Predator 314s. Or just do what I did and get the shaft you want and a cheap, well weighted sneaky pete butt, the wood-to-wood joint gives a much better feel than steel-collared joints, IMO.

BeanDiesel
06-06-2004, 01:48 PM
but $600 is quite a good deal for a 3k7 dont you think. i mean, as compared to its regular price.

kenz54
06-06-2004, 09:17 PM
you did not say how much you wanted to spend for a new stick. 200.00 to 300.00 range would get you a nice Pechauer, Joss, Viking, Mcdermott. All pretty nice production sticks. My choice would be the Pechauer (which start at 210.00) but they all hit a bit different and you need to hit them to see what you like the best. I have hit with a Predator and it wasn't for me. Good luck with your choice.

phelix
06-07-2004, 07:16 AM
thanks everyone for all your insight and knowledge. i have much food for thought. as for wht price really does not matter. if the stick is well made and playes well and i take care of it should it not last most of my pool playing years. thanks again.
and just by chance does anyone know wht the kings crown is.

Its like throwing a shoe, really who throws